Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about VT in first week of December

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks.

I'm holidaying in VT 3rd Dec - 10th Dec. In hindsight, i'm full of regret, and should have booked 10th Dec onwards when 3 Valleys is fully open.

My question: It looks like Courchevel will be open from the 3rd, but not Meribel. Is it possible to ski over to Courchevel from VT if Meribel is not open?

Any info or advice on how to make the most of 3 valleys during this week greatly appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Any info or advice on how to make the most of 3 valleys during this week greatly appreciated!

Stay up on the best snow round Val T!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ash200493, The 3Vs is never fully open until Xmas week so you're not missing that much. First week of valley links opening (10th) is about 40%, second week about 70%. Only C1850 is open on the 3rd and no, you can't get to Courchevel without going through Meribel. They wouldn't sell you a 3V pass if the links aren't officially open either.

VT opens about 70% from early December and Orelle is open at the same time as VT, so that gets you quite a bit extra to play with. I wouldn't be too despondent; you'll be able to walk straight on to any open lift and get a lot of skiing time in. Just do repeat runs and work on your technique. If the area below VT village level is open (Plan de l'eau) then the top of the Funitel to the bottom of Plan de l'eau is one of the longest single skis in the 3Vs; you can certainly feel like you're travelling about. I'd also do circuits on the Cime Caron and the Orelle-Caron. Not having to queue to get on the Cime Caron is a rare privilege, make the most of it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both for the great advice! I feel much better about things now.

Looking at the 3V app, it looks like only 25 of 94 runs are open. Would you generally expect that to ramp up over the next couple of weeks?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ash200493 wrote:

Looking at the 3V app, it looks like only 25 of 94 runs are open. Would you generally expect that to ramp up over the next couple of weeks?

Yes, however Courchevel-wise lifts open on the 3rd Dec, but it will be skeleton opening of a handful of lifts in 1850 (Verdons, Vizelle & one or two others - haven't got time to dig out the exact detail). From 10th Dec La Tania and Courchevel 1650 will open, though again not on full opening - would expect to have nearly all lifts operational for 17th Dec, and full opening (snow permitting) from 24th.

Meribel will be on similar schedule...

As above though VT will be great - plenty to go at without leaving the valley, and the pre-Xmas weeks are normally fun skiing with no queues and quiet pistes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ash200493, visiting the last full week before Christmas a few years ago, as noted above the valley connections weren't open so confined to VT only.

Buuuut, it was an absolutely brilliant week there and feeling of excitement to get a week skiing in before Christmas with alot to ski nevertheless.

Blindingly cold (be prepared) with crystal clear blue skies, fair amount of snow fallen plus cannoned amount, very very worthwhile.

Hope you enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are flying out tomorrow evening to Geneva, for 3 days skiing in Val Thorens (ie half a day on Tuesday, a full day on Wednesday and Thursday; and a half day on Friday). Very Happy

I can't wait and will report back after the trip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Please excuse the slight hijack, but my daughter and fiancé are going to Val Thoren village roughly the same time for a short break. Fahrenheit hotel. She’s a good red run skier, no issues, he is on his second week only. Any good mountain restaurant recommendations, from anyone, table service, with a view ideally. Green or blue piste down for him
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ash200493,
That early in the season just ski whatever the snowfall allows them to open.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@twoodwar, views-wise the one on top of the Peclet bubble is definitely the best, however the views are only available if you seat outside and afair the table service is only inside. Blue piste with steep-ish intervals down to the village.

Then you have the Les 2 Lac Chalet, at the top of the eponymous lift. Great food, but again no views from the inside. Green piste down to the village.

Our favourite family lunch spot is La Maison, right on the edge of the Place de Caron, top of the magic carpet. Fantastic food, service outside, good views if you pick the right table.

Finally at the bottom where the school meeting points are you have several restaurants with outside table service, good food and good views.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am in Val Thorens now, ski’d yesterday and today and doing the same tomorrow and Tuesday.

The snow is great and a fair amount of the mountain is open. Check the 3V app for an exhaustive list of what lifts are open.

Saturday was very busy and full of people skiing very fast in busy areas on the multiple routes back into town. I am a beginner intermediate so found this a little disconcerting. A bit quieter today and I suspect will be quieter during Monday to Friday of this week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oleski, many thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any updates from the folks in VT this week? How's it going?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ash200493 wrote:
Any updates from the folks in VT this week? How's it going?

Fantastic! Today was our 3rd day. Day 1 was only 45 minutes, as we arrived late then had to buy our season passes. Great snow but foggy....

Yesterday was wall to wall sun and fantastic, packed powder on piste. And very quiet on the runs.

Today was gloriously sunny again and very quiet. We found a fair bit of untracked powder (about 10 inches) at the sides of/between runs and it was absolutely fantastic Very Happy . On our penultimate run of the day, at 4pm, we skied from the top of the Grand Fond gondola to the bottom of Cairn gondola and saw no other skiers on the run until we were 100 metres from the end. It was incredible! Very Happy Very Happy Mind, it was minus 5C by then, in the shade.

Another highlight was skiing a closed run from the top of the Peclet gondola. It was freshly pisted top to bottom, with some great, subtracted powder at the sides - and we had it to ourselves in beautiful sunshine Very Happy . We will now stand in the naughty corner Toofy Grin .

It's our last day (of this trip) tomorrow and we will ski until about 12 before packing up and heading back to Geneva for our flight.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks so much for the update - sounds awesome!

I was a little concerned because the 3V app suggests that the majority of the resort is still closed. Something like only 25 of 90 runs open. Is this accurate and/or expected at this time?
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:

Another highlight was skiing a closed run from the top of the Peclet gondola. It was freshly pisted top to bottom, with some great, subtracted powder at the sides - and we had it to ourselves in beautiful sunshine Very Happy . We will now stand in the naughty corner Toofy Grin .

Laughing

Why was it closed, Bergmeister?
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Laughing

There are not many people here and not many lifts open, so a number of runs are pisted but (officially, at least) closed. However, there is still more than enough great skiing to keep us occupied Very Happy .
snow report
Quote:
Possibly because of the highly unusual snow conditions - namely the 'subtracted powder' wink
ski holidays
ash200493 wrote:
Hi folks.

I'm holidaying in VT 3rd Dec - 10th Dec. In hindsight, i'm full of regret, and should have booked 10th Dec onwards when 3 Valleys is fully open.

How's it going @ash200493, are you still full of regret?
snow report
@Handy Turnip, absolutely not! Weather has been beautiful since we arrived, and enough of the resort open to keen us entertained.

I would say it's definitely busier than I expected for the first week of December, and the slopes could do with a bit more snow now. But all things considered, a great trip so far.

Thanks again for all of the info and advice everyone!
snow conditions
ash200493 wrote:
@Handy Turnip, absolutely not! Weather has been beautiful since we arrived, and enough of the resort open to keen us entertained.

I would say it's definitely busier than I expected for the first week of December, and the slopes could do with a bit more snow now. But all things considered, a great trip so far.

Thanks again for all of the info and advice everyone!

Good to hear, ash Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy