Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How accessible are mountain restaurants for a non-skier in Ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, planned a holiday for January...now may have an unexpected guest onboard (well, certainly a bigger bump than planned!)

My partner and I haven't spent much time together on the last 2 snow holidays as I've been in ski school and he has done his own thing, so not skiing isn't the end of the world.

But...are there many gondolas around to get me up and down from the main town to meet for lunch and at least enjoy the mountain?
I could travel via bus to Galtür etc, but again want to make sure I'm not stuck!

Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-07-20 20:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think your title should read non-skier rather than non-smoker. Could be wrong.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@noggy thank you.
Bloody auto correct!
Will try and delete and repost. Can't figure out edit functions.

Sussed it!
Thanks for noticing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KateP21, edit the first post and change the title. Edit is the scissors icon to the right of the post. You cant delete now there are further posts
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KateP21, assuming you mean non skier then yes it is perfectly possible to get to the mid station (which is the centre of the ski area) using one of the three gondolas from the "village". There are a couple of restaurants there but they could hardly be called picturesque. However I am not sure I would describe Ischgl as being particularly attractive for a non skier. Buses up and down the valley are not particularly plentiful although possible, certainly less than in many other Austrian areas. Unless your other half has some burning desire to ski in Ischgl (and the ski area is good even if the "village" divides opinions) you might be better off looking at alternatives. The Arlberg is the obvious alternative but the Zillertal might be better for non skiing lots of other places too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @munich_irish.
Ischgl was chosen mainly for me!
We thought it would give a good area for me to explore on my first trip reducing my ski school attendance...I've really messed up that plan!

Only paid the deposit...wondering if it's best just to waste that and book elsewhere Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KateP21, you might want to get some other opinions as well as mine. I really do not like the place despite it having an excellent ski area with one of the longest seasons in Europe. I am sure you can have a perfectly nice time there without skiing, there will be some valley walks (though the valley will get little sun in January) and many of the hotels have pools and wellness centres. It is a bit isolated, there is an hourly bus up and down the valley but the other villages (if you can call them that) are pretty small.

Given I dont know how much your deposit is, it is a bit difficult to make suggestions. If the holiday is really important to you it might be worth looking around.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are three gondolas out of the village. The Silvrettabahn and the Fimbabahn drop you at Idalpe where there are two restaurants. The Panorama, right next to the gondola terminus, has self service on the first floor and a la carte on the second. To the right is the Alpenhaus which you can walk down to. The other gondola is the Pardatschgratbahan. This brings you to the Pardorama reataurant.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KateP21,
Quote:

Only paid the deposit...wondering if it's best just to waste that and book elsewhere

As you won't be skiing on this trip, I think there are other places that would be a better compromise for your changed needs and your partner's skiing.

Personally I'd keep my options as open as possible. Wait and see how the situation looks in different parts of the Alps a bit nearer the time?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone.
Only £200 paid so far. The rest is in my bank waiting to pay closer to the deadline (was worried covid would mess up the plans, not me!)

I think £200 may be worth losing to get a better compromise. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In addition to the restaurants listed by Corky, and depending how big the bump is there are a few restaurants accessible via gondolas and walking trails.

You can take the Silvrettabahn to middle station from where a walking track leads you Paznauner Thaya (table and self service restaurants/sun terrace), home of the second best rotisserie chicken on the mountain.
Or you can take either the Silvrettabahn or Fimbabahn all the way to Idalp (table and self service/sun terrace - very good Germknödel in the self service restaurant) and then the walking trails to the Alpenhaus (table and self service - but limited inside space so worth getting there early if cold) and Hollboden (pizzeria) restaurants.

Buses up and down the valley are also frequent and reliable (approx. every 10-15min between 8am and 7pm), both the inter resort ski buses and the regional bus that runs all the way down to Landeck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy