Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

As DC show off Burton Step-on compatable boots, K2 say 'Hold my beer!'

Poster: A snowHead
Hooray! As autumn creeps up on us like a stoat in a badger hole, K2 decide that now is the perfect time for another proprietary kit war, for the heart and sole (geddit!) of snowboarding.
Enter, the new Clicker xHB step in/on/up/under(?) system which looks like someone got bored staring at their road bike throughout lockdown. System uses baseplate latch and metal underboot cleats (snow clogging? Never heard of it...) which should take care of all those comfortable boot scenarios when walking about and make it sound and feel like you've got a whacking bit of gravel wedged in the treads and snag on any metal staircase you may encounter.

youtubery here...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
crazy ... I am sure I was given a click in set up 20 years ago when I hired some kit at a U.K. dry slope
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, we didn't need this..... I am still interested in the Burton system catching on and everyone jumping onboard though - I reckon it could be super handy for those first couple of days as a beginner. I've only taught one lady with it so far, but it seemed great, and the riding reports are say that it's perfectly fine at absolute worst.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mmm. I think the skiing community probably thought they didn't need snowboarding too. Innovation is a good thing, in my view. Bring it on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Yeah, we didn't need this....

Agreed. There is already a perfectly adequate step on binding (Burton) at a similar price point. One of the bigger issues for step on bindings right now is the limited options regarding compatible boots. This is just going to divide an already small choice.

Quote:

Innovation is a good thing, in my view.

It's not really innovative. That clicker system has been around a long time, they've just added a highback. There is already step in bindings with a highback. I don't think anyone was saying "what we really need is another step on binding". They've solved what wasn't a problem to begin with. If anything they've complicated things for people looking to buy step on bindings.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I reckon the step on innovation is driven by the increasing average age of snowboarders

older people are usually less flexible. but they usually have loads more cash to blow on kit. burton/dc dont want to lose customers to skiing and other manufacturers want to keep up
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can we class the K2 Clicker-née Kwicker- née Clicker again, as 'innovation' if they are essentially rebranding the same system they've been flogging to literally tens of riders since the 90s?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nothing wrong with having more choice if k2 want to invest their money into it.

Nobody is being forced into buying it. I personally wouldn’t even though I’m an old snowboarder.

There two problems with step on systems that put me off - having to either swap bindings on boards or needing new bindings for every board I’ve got, and the boots don’t work with a touring setup, so end up needing two sets of boots as well. It’s a lot of money to spend when there isn’t really an issue that needs to be addressed.

Might be handy for someone with injuries that make it hard to bend down. Don’t think age has much to do with needing it.

Far better to use the money for helicopter rides and good holidays Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s a bit like Dragons Den when some one brings in a new invention and are told they have invented something that no one actually needs and it’s not even better than we have anyway .... and that isn’t exactly new either because someone else does it

Clip-in bindings that fit any standard boot ... or a standard boot that fits any click-in or strap bindings (is this the same?) - now that would be good
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the original problem with that type of holding system is that it relies on the base of the boot.
Not fun if the base is iced up with snow, etc.

Quote:
rayscoops
It’s a bit like Dragons Den when some one brings in a new invention and are told they have invented something that no one actually needs and it’s not even better than we have anyway .... and that isn’t exactly new either because someone else does it

You should give them a try. It will change your mind.
I have ski buddies who see my setup & would give Snowboarding a try if rental shops used them. They have no interest in strapping in & out, especially when learning.
I rarely skate these days. Just as quick to step out, walk, step on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mr.Egg, I understand what they are and that they may be good, just saying that that I am not going to change the set-up my of very nice Northwave Prophecy boots & Drake Podium bindings.

If step-ins are the way to go I will wait until the boots & bindings are universal and all boots fit all bindings, so that I can pick a set up, rather than be limited to a small range.

I may try some out but not too bothered really, as strapping in is not really an issue even though I am an old git with a dodgy back.

I had Flows for the easy ‘step-in’ option but they are not easy to put on if the ground is sloping away (the board slides away), what are step-ins like to put on if the ground is sloping ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did a heli day a couple weeks ago with a guy using step ons. We had some really steep entries in deep dry snow and he had no issues at all. I was impressed. Still not sure I’d part with the required cash though.

If you just ride one board and don’t use touring gear and need new boots and bindings then worth considering.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boarder2020 wrote:
...It's not really innovative. That clicker system has been around a long time, they've just added a highback. There is already step in bindings with a highback. I don't think anyone was saying "what we really need is another step on binding". They've solved what wasn't a problem to begin with. If anything they've complicated things for people looking to buy step on bindings.
Ah. So the snowboard wasn't really innovative - skis had been around forever. They just lost one of the boards. I don't think any skiers were saying "what we really need is another way to descend a slope". They solved what wasn't a problem to begin with. If anything they've complicated things for people looking to play in the snow.

Snowboarding exists because some people developed new stuff.

hang11 wrote:
Far better to use the money for helicopter rides..

Major heli places provide "free" bindings. Including Burton's step-on stuff. I've ridden with a few washed-up professionals on that gear and they loved the
control and had no issues with powder. Of course if you can ride then you only have to put them on once per run so it's moot. Novices have a different
experience, but I've not met any using step-on yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, on deep snow I suppose you can flatten the board off, I was just wondering what it is like stepping in when on the edge of a sloping piste ... the same as trying to put any binding on when standing up, if there is bit of a slope your board starts to slide down the mountain as you put your rear foot in to the binding
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A couple of my intermediate level friends bought Burton step-ons for last season, we are all about 60 and one of the guys had always struggled with inflexibility when ratcheting up conventional bindings.

Clipping in to the step ons was no problem, only trouble was that he had to carry a short stick to release them if none of us were around to do it for him as he couldn't easily reach the latch.
snow conditions
@philwig, free bindings !?

I’m gonna start negotiating with my local operator - getting a pie for lunch is the only freebie I get Happy
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
@hang11, on deep snow I suppose you can flatten the board off, I was just wondering what it is like stepping in when on the edge of a sloping piste ... the same as trying to put any binding on when standing up, if there is bit of a slope your board starts to slide down the mountain as you put your rear foot in to the binding

You put your heel in first, so you use edge hold. & then press the front of your foot to engage the side holders. There is a knack to it, but you pick it up quite quickly.
You can do this sitting down as well. Just hold your board & slide your heel in. Press the outside of the front of your foot to engage & then the same with the inside.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, cheers, I fancy using them if they feel ok, but I have newish set up so no need to change and I doubt they are better than what I have

Sounds easy to step-in when on the lift which is something I like to do when it’s quiet

Can you wear the boot in normal strap binding ?
latest report
Quote:

Snowboarding exists because some people developed new stuff.

Yes, and these bindings are not new in any sense of the word.

Quote:

I don't think any skiers were saying "what we really need is another way to descend a slope"

Snowboards were not made for skiers. Look at the original snowboard pioneers, many of them were trying to recreate surfing/skateboarding on snow. The snowboard was clearly different to skiing.

A better ski comparison would be salomon bringing out an exact replica of dynafit touring bindings, only the pin size is different, meaning boots compatible with dynafit bindings are not compatible with these new ones. And Salomon only bringing out one pair of boots compatible with this system.
snow report
Sideways has it right. Rebooting (sic)an old system that failed in the 90s and will have mugs who weren't there maan thinking it's actually innovation.

What next Burton relaunch the 3 strap caliper binding and the asymetric twisted core boards with the Sorel look a like boots ( actually had a pair of those and they were pretty good - Atlas?)
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
@Mr.Egg, cheers, I fancy using them if they feel ok, but I have newish set up so no need to change and I doubt they are better than what I have

Sounds easy to step-in when on the lift which is something I like to do when it’s quiet

Can you wear the boot in normal strap binding ?

You can step in before mounting a lift if your quick enough.
you can take the back clip off, so would depend on the side knobbly bits if you can get the into a toe strap. Cant see why not, but maybe some bindings would have an issue like re-entry flows
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Sideways has it right. Rebooting (sic)an old system that failed in the 90s and will have mugs who weren't there maan thinking it's actually innovation.

What next Burton relaunch the 3 strap caliper binding and the asymetric twisted core boards with the Sorel look a like boots ( actually had a pair of those and they were pretty good - Atlas?)

one of the biggest reasons the original Step In ideas failed is because the underside would get iced up when walking. It defeats the object if your going to get iced up under foot when skating to get on a lift, as any time saved is lost by sitting down digging the ice out when you get off the lift. Step On does not have this problem as the engagement locks are at the heal & either side of the toe.
latest report
could work on dry slopes. will stuck with snow and ice on real slopes. fast entry bindings give more than enough convenience for lazy ass riders.
snow report
My local shop have got DC step on boots for sale now. Not a lot of use as there's nowhere local to use them for 8 months, and not easy to head overseas either.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy