Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claiming on credit card for shortened stay.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning,
How do I request a refund on my credit card for 2 weeks stay that had to be cancelled by hotel, I organised everything as a solo traveller, so far I’m being ignored by everyone.
I’ve never claimed on CC before and wondered what I should do or not do.
Thanks
K
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Claim through your travel insurance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just call them...they will start the process. You will need to send them the evidence that you have tried to get a refund and have failed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
section 75 claim via credit card
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My understanding is that there is a significant difference between a credit card chargeback request and a Section 75 claim.

IMV the first port of call is a chargeback request - you ask your CC company to take the payment from the supplier (who has failed to supply) bank. You will need to provide evidence that they have failed to provide a refund.

Section 75 relies on the fact that the CC company is "jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the retailer or trader." ... This right is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust, or it doesn't respond to your letters or phone calls. So effectively under Section 75 you are suing your CC company.

Seems to me a chargeback request is likely to be viewed more favourably by the CC company Cool

If you go onto your CC website they should have a page where you can initiate the chargeback request.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A succinct summary from [1] of the two approaches includes:
"Chargeback ... applies to all debit cards [. For] Credit cards Chargeback is particularly useful where... Section 75 doesn't apply. "

You can google which will work best depending on your specific case. Probably Section 75.

I've found that for S75 card companies will be unhelpful, irrespective of how good your claim is.
If your claim is valid, their negativity isn't relevant as they have to obey the law.

I use S75 for CC purchases, but as it happens I have found Chargeback easier.
I think that may be because my (fancy) bank provides me with a service and wants to retain my custom,
where as I'm an annoying freeloader for the credit card company.

You're not "suing" anybody; these processes are designed to avoid that.
If someone abused the process, litigation would be in the other direction.

As hlxx said, you will need to demonstrate that you took reasonable steps to recover the money from the merchant directly.
If you've tried everything else then I'd just mention to the merchant that you'll do an S75 or Chargeback within
a week if they don't refund the money. In my experience, if they believe you, they almost always pay up
before the S75, which isn't going to be cheap or easy for them.

[1] https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-use-chargeback
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@enigma, I have just been refunded for accommodation that I was unable to use due to the covid lockdown in France. The accommodation provider initially just emailed copy invoices etc and suggested claiming on my insurance. Tried that but the covid circumstances didn't meet their grounds for curtailment. My claim wasn't rejected out of hand but they advised persevering with the accom company. This went in stages from an offer of a credit note of 75% of the original cost to an offer of an 80% refund with 10% off any booking next year.

In the meantime the CMA had published very clear advice on the matter. No service provided=full refund. I declined their offers and insisted that they fully refund my money. Radio silence for a while so I informed them that I was going down the Credit Card charge back route. Barclaycard explained to us that it's a 2 stage stage process really. (probably over simplified explanation here). Send the supporting evidence and reason for your claim and show that you have been denied a refund. They then request a simple reverse payment from the supplier back onto your card. If the supplier fails to respond or provide adequate reason not to pay then they escalate the claim to a Section 75 claim to recover money. This means the supplier also gets charged for the procedure on top of the refund.

Can be slightly confusing as the CC co stick a temporary credit on your account to the value of the claim. Out of the blue a couple of weeks later the supplier asked for our bank details. They provided a full refund on condition that we stopped the chargeback process. Once the funds were in place I simply contacted Barclaycard to says that the dispute had been resolved. (Including contacting our insurers this has taken about 3 months from start to finish).

Hope this is helpful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, I will follow the CCadvice given here.
Keep you informed
K
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GeorgeVII, France passed a law just after they closed down hotels etc, that allowed accommodation providers to offer a credit note (of 100%) or a change of dates at no extra charge to the guests for any bookings made before lockdown that were due to take place before the end of September 2020. The credit note is valid for 18 months from the date the accommodation was booked, and if you aren't able to use it, a full refund can then be requested at the expiry of the voucher. This was to make sure accommodation owners did not go bankrupt, and to ensure that there was still tourism to kickstart the economy when things improved.
I offered this to all bookings I had in place.
All except one summer bookings have actually taken their holidays (all French), and my German booking has postponed until next July.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, I was dealing with a UK registered company. I felt that there were too many variables for me to take advantage of a credit note. No guarantee that any company isn't going bust during that 18 month period either so you could still end up out of pocket.

edit....... Or are these credit notes underwritten by the Government?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GeorgeVII, on that note I will have to plead ignorance and look up the regulations in more detail.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy