Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Will Covid-19 Impact Your 2020-21 Ski Vacation?

Poster: A snowHead
Assuming you don't pass to the other side, and the world economy has not collapsed, do you plan to ski in Europe, Nordics, North America, Northern Africa, MidEast, or Asia during the winter 2020-2021 season?

Ditto for the Southern Hemisphere in Australia, NZ, Southern Africa, and South America during mid-2020 winter?

Will you holiday less, the same, or more (to makeup for lost time) next season?

How do you feel about sharing a crowded lift with a cabin full of drippy noses?

Keen to gauge people's current and future thoughts, whether you are a local, daytripper, oneweeker, retiree, or seasonaire.

Will Covid-19 flu help the ski industry, with a V-shaped bounce after the worst is over?

Or will bookings be sharply down next year?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming I get through it I will definitely be skiing more next year almost certainly going to have to ditch my last two trips of the year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Europe (hopefully Austria, hopefully Finland, maybe Italy, possibly France) for me.
I hope, Gods willing, to resume plans for as many weeks and shorter trips as I can, and as Mr G doesn't have to work.
But it depends on TO prices/offers (and maybe DIY individual aspect prices) and on the weather/conditions in England and Scotland (so we may not have to go abroad at all).
It also depends on the economy - share prices & interest rates (and if Mr G still has a job) as to how much I can still afford...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm out in GM for a month now, having had a week late Jan. Our plan is for 3 months next year, somewhere in France. I'm more swayed at the moment by the seemingly non-stop carp weather: I expected March to be wall to wall sunshine!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think we should all make a personal commitment to ski in Italy next season, they're REALLY going to need our help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@marodo2712, over 60 snowHeads already signed up to the 17th Birthday Bash, first week of Feb 2021, Arabba, in the Dolomites.

Let’s do our small bit to help Italy bounce back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Usually with the early Easter holiday I would hope to get out to Canada for two weeks. Have to see how money goes with house rebuild in the coming months.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PeakyB wrote:
@marodo2712, over 60 snowHeads already signed up to the 17th Birthday Bash, first week of Feb 2021, Arabba, in the Dolomites.

Good news.

The SnowHeads-run Bashes (skitrips) are here, for anybody interested in signing up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It just cancelled mine. One hour before heading to the airport. Goodbye to Kitz, Zillertal (substitute for Dolomiti), Serfaus and Lech. Major bummer, going to cost me some money, but so many small businesses are getting killed I shouldn't complain. Restaurant industry will be absolutely crushed. Thoughts go out to the folks who've become ill or worse. I haven't used my Ikon pass much, guess I'll see if I can put that to good use. I think cocktail hour will be starting early tonight.

The last straw: Washington Post reporting US govt now considering extending Level 3 travel advisory (avoid non-essential travel) to all of Europe (currently just Italy in EU).

FWIW, here in Seattle, gatherings of 250 or more people are banned, and only permissible below that figure if distancing measures are taken. This area is a hot spot due to lots of deaths in a nursing home in Kirkland, a suburb of Seattle. Very sad. My take, worth what you paid for it: this is going to be like H1N1 and simply become part of the viral landscape forever.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just re-read the title, got my years wrong. Time to get away from the computer for a while!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is worth a read - white paper on the chinese ski industry

https://www.vanat.ch/publications.shtml

Personally hoping that the NZ ski season isn't all over. Would be nice to get plenty of empty lifts, wouldn't be nice to be out of work.

Was going to book a big Europe trip for January 21 but holding off on that for the time being.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11 wrote:
This is worth a read - white paper on the chinese ski industry

https://www.vanat.ch/publications.shtml

Personally hoping that the NZ ski season isn't all over. Would be nice to get plenty of empty lifts, wouldn't be nice to be out of work.

Was going to book a big Europe trip for January 21 but holding off on that for the time being.

Good read.

China had 742 ski resorts in 2019, about 13% of the worldwide total.

Market is growing fast.

https://www.vanat.ch/2019%20China%20Ski%20Industry%20White%20Book%20(Benny%20Wu%2020200302).pdf

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 11-03-20 23:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scooter in Seattle, really sorry to hear about your cancellation. Sad Sounds like it would've been wonderful... next year, hopefully?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wise move to cancel Austria.

Italy is right nextdoor and in absolute chaos.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, messed-up post. Just echoing Denfinella's thoughts on Scooter's cancellation.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 11-03-20 23:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Assuming I get through it I will definitely be skiing more next year almost certainly going to have to ditch my last two trips of the year.

This, ~similar for me.
ski holidays
Appreciate the good vibes, in short supply these days. Can't wait to get over there, hoping for next season.
snow conditions
marodo2712 wrote:
I think we should all make a personal commitment to ski in Italy next season, they're REALLY going to need our help.

Yes definitely,

Did something similar after 9/11, had never thought of going to NY, but a group of us decided to support local tourist industry with a trip in the year following and next year sounds a good time to support Italian tourism.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle,

Get to the Village Cafe in Sauze D'Oulx at 5pm for free pizza some time next year.

Two birds with one stone.
latest report
Quote:
Assuming you don't pass to the other side, and the world economy has not collapsed

And my employer hasn’t gone under!

You want to “gauge the mood”? That’s the mood!
snow conditions
@Whitegold, An interesting series of questions.

I always ski in Europe and will continue with the same number of trips next year (normally 3 per season).

My business could take a huge hit this year, if everything gets shut down, but we are fortunate in that we are set up to ride out things like this. I'd like to think I wouldn't adjust my behaviours in a disproportionate manner, such that it would harm other businesses unnecessarily.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:

Where is this? as cant see it listed in Forthcoming snowHeads Events ?
snow report
This whole thing won't put me off. Already looking at our France holiday for the summer and have broached the subject of a crimbo trip with the missus as our 'saving up' goal for the rest of the year.

I'll continue to work within my usual holiday parameters; cost, ease of getting there, resort features, probably in that order.

Driving on the cards because A) flying doesn't do anything for me, B) I prefer flexibility of the car, C) it's a bit more eco-friendly. Maybe we'll look at the train if we can get it to work cost-wise.

I'd be more than happy to look at Italy if the region opens up and isn't in lockdown forever. I'm sure their economy would be happy with the investment from punters. It'll probably be France though if we drive, just to minimise the distance travelled.

We're a once-a-year ski family (well, actually this year will be our first family trip) but we're not loaded so we have to think carefully about getting best bang for our buck, snowsure-ness, and making it a memorable time.
snow report
@snowxxx, try here; https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3529920&highlight=s17bb#3529920. snowHead
snow conditions
By March last year I had (just) booked my halfterm holiday for this season. The uncertainty as we returned from half term the uncertainty has caused me to not book anything for next year. The fact that we are not now going in April (I was booked to Italy), makes me more keen to maybe go somewhere over Christmas/ New year school holidays but again. Daren’t book anything yet.

Concern is not one over picking up illness though.
snow report
It will be no change for me next year. Hopefully two or more trips to Austria, St Anton specifically. Still hoping (probably too optimistically) that I'll be able to go this Easter.
ski holidays
Ok thanks but it is not listed under Forthcoming Snowhead Events thats why I could not find it
latest report
Why would it impact anyone's longer term planning?

This is just WG trolling, as usual.

Dick.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowxxx,

The thread and sign up buttons for the 17th Birthday Bash went live quite a bit earlier than usual, 12 months in advance. That happened to be before it had been mentioned elsewhere, eg on Forthcoming Snow Events.
latest report
@under a new name, I’m sure the current situation IS affecting longer term plans.

For one thing, I’d be very surprised if early bookings for 2020/21 didn’t plummet.

The subject of this thread seems valid enough to me.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

This is just WG trolling, as usual.

Dick.

It has mine - as I said above. Last year we booked Feb half term in late Feb. I am holding off a little while.
latest report
Already have flights booked to Japan next year, and have a vague plan forming for an early-ish season break in the mountains somewhere. All being well both will go ahead! Frankly more worried by the economic impacts as we are contractors and often the first off projects in times of trouble, so that could change the picture.

A bit of fingers crossed, a bit of wait and see! Hope businesses survive to enable us to ski at all.
snow report
Part of the holding off is as much down to economic impact on our jobs as well as companies we would be giving deposits to.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, absolutely.

Don't think we'd have booked the Japan flights now - they got done pre all the latest corona-chaos, with points and a voucher. Does mean we can change or cancel them without losing much though!
snow report
We have an apartment booked again in Altenmarkt for two weeks in January 2021. The dog is booked with the dogsitter for three and a half weeks so we can decide later where to go for the week before Altenmarkt.
Hopefully we may then have a trip to Italy in March (as we had planned next week).
snow conditions
How Will Covid-19 Impact Your 2020-21 Ski Vacation?

It won't
snow conditions
It is very likely to affect the way I book. I normally book accommodation as soon as it becomes available, usually late April/ early May, my current thinking is that I should wait until I know whether I can renew my annual travel insurance at an acceptable cost which won't be until October. Fortunately the holiday that I have just had to cancel due to non C19 reasons and our next 2 holidays are covered.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Lol.

There's always one wink

Thousands are dying in agony, that cough in a tram could kill you a week later, insurance policies are being canceled, travel companies are going bust, hotels will go pop, airlines are shutting down.

Norwegian Air, for example, is on the brink of collapse today. That €200 flight to Geneva next season may not exist in a few weeks' time...
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Lol.

There's always one wink..............

Yep. You are that one. Spreading irrational disquiet and generally being a plonker. I will have the appropriate level of regard to Coronavirus. That is to say, I will pay it the same level of attention as I do to influenza.
It will have the same degree of influence on my holiday plans for next year as influenza has had on my plans for the last 60 years.
Precisely NONE Puzzled
snow conditions
Won’t affect my planning, Birthday Bash booked and I’ve just booked Haus Susanne with Flangesax for Christmas. Is it to early to get excited? snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy