Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lebanon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Short message just to make you aware there's enough to discover still;

The 2019-2020 season topic on the french skipass forum
https://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/stations_ski_ailleurs/autres/sujet-143294.html

Proper loads of snow in the village at season start already

Enough room for some offpiste

Largest ski area "The cedars"
[img]https://cdn.wintersport.nl/forum/26/70570d156f30bb3851386054b900f548_cedars_202.jpg?w=800[/img]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Video report from the cedars

http://youtube.com/v/p37727P6GXU
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
another from the cedars

http://youtube.com/v/EKXydssGThA
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And from the second biggest resort, Mzaar

http://youtube.com/v/FUHIVcqRAsg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You do realise these photos are from December 30th 2019, don't you? It's now June. Lebanon season just about creeps from January to March most years.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good posts (despite it being middle of summer)...

Lebanon's economy is currently on the brink of collapse.

Assuming no civil war, Lebanon could be a very cheap ski vacation in 2021.

A good alternative to (say) the smaller resorts of Austria or Italy.

The Lebanese ski areas will slash prices to attract the middleclass with hard dollars (which the banking system badly needs).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lebanon is a fantastic country. Friendly people, good food, and arguably the best Roman ruins in the world (Baalbek), and Beirut is a fantastic cosmopolitan city. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a country to visit, and with the current issues with the economy tourist dollars are much needed (and mean good exchange rate for tourists). Unfortunately I have never skied there so can't add anything in that regard.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second that for the people, food and just everything that isn't what the rabid, right, ring(sic), want you to think. It's been just over three decades since my last visit and times may have been a bit fraught in the meantime rolling eyes But I can't believe that the true generous soul of the Lebanese people has changed to the detriment in the interim . . . It's on my retirement bucket list even if 'nostalgia is best served on a bed of couscous' wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, Beirut is much more cosmopolitan and modern than most people would assume. Same is true of Iran which also has skiing and possibly even friendlier people. Unfortunately for most people these places are just thought of as some kind of dangerous warzones full of "death to the west" type people.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
full of "death to the west" type people...

Blimey. Toryboys get everywhere Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
much more ... modern than most people would assume...

Pity. Everywhere's becoming samey.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
Yes, Beirut is much more cosmopolitan and modern than most people would assume. Same is true of Iran which also has skiing and possibly even friendlier people. Unfortunately for most people these places are just thought of as some kind of dangerous warzones full of "death to the west" type people.

One-fifth of all of habitable Lebanon is basically a warzone.

One-fourth of Beirut is completely offlimits to Westerners (southern part).

All of Tripoli is pretty much a nogo zone.

Southern Lebanon is covered in landmines.

Even the roads to and from Beirut Airport get blockaded by riots on a fairly regular basis.

Lebanon is a cool country.

One of the three "safest" in the Middle East.

But don't pretend it's some kind of Med utopia.

You gotta go there with eyes wide open.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I take the FCO guidelines with a pinch of salt. Always over cautious and often more based on politics than the situation on the ground.

I was in Lebanon around 5 years ago so my experience is perhaps not reflective of the current situation. Also the fact I went there and nothing bad happened doesn't prove it's "safe". However these are my thoughts:

- Tripoli was fantastic. Yes there is some areas that you probably should avoid, but these are not particularly close to anywhere of interest for tourists. I would compare it to Rio de Janeiro in that yes there are some bad areas, but as a tourist you wouldn't really be anywhere near them unless you actively went looking.

- Southern Lebanon is very interesting and you really should visit to understand the politics and why thousands of Christians and Sunni Muslims vote for Hezbollah and the work that they do there. There probably are lots of landmines but I don't see how that affects 99.9% of tourists who are not going to be off trail hiking.

- Southern Beirut is not off-limits to foreigners. There is no real reason to go there as there is nothing of interest for tourists. If you do go there you might get stopped by Hezbollah and questioned about what you are doing there. As it's the area usually targeted for terrorist attacks I can't really blame them being cautious. I was always treated respectively going through Hezbollah check points.

- of course nowhere is completely safe, especially with terrorism. Althoughin Lebanon most terrorist attacks are targeted at the Hezbollah areas of Beirut. They are not random attacks like in Europe. So if there is an attack you are unlikely to be in it.

- The biggest dangers to a tourist are most likely the bad driving and copious amounts of second hand smoke.

Quote:

One of the three "safest" in the Middle East

Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait, Iran, uae, and Oman are probably all "safer". Turkey is probably similar.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy