Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Gang,

How are people feeling who have ski holidays booked to Italy in the next 6 weeks where there are cases of the C Virus there ? Or really any ski holidays where you are flying ?

Just seen a government issued leaflet to an Italian resort bar in Lombardy saying bars need to close at 6:30pm - and they are not in a quarantined town. Likewise all large public gatherings must be cancelled.

Think the rule is 2 metres for 15 mins to be at a high risk of catching it from someone.

My gut feeling is the virus is already in all major european cities but it has not had a large impact yet.

Personally I'm thinking of canceling. Sad
Not really worried about me. More worried about protecting my elderly family and friends.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kezzy19661, I've got as far as checking exactly where Lombardy is, and that Turin Airport, where I'm flying to on Saturday, is open. It is, though international passengers are having their temperatures checked. I also went on to the site of my travel insurers, MPI, and found this:

Q: Am I covered if the Corona Virus has an impact on my trip?
A: There would be cover for Emergency Medical Expenses if you contracted the virus whilst overseas. Additionally, there would be cover under the Terms & Conditions of the policy for Cancellation, if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) have issued a warning against travel to your destination and this warning was issued after  you booked your trip and purchased travel insurance.
Any other claim in regard to Corona Virus is considered on a case-by-case basis.

Other than that, I'm going to hope for the best. Although I'm old, I'm fairly fit and healthy, so shouldn't be at any special risk myself.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kezzy19661, We are flying to Venice this Wednesday and then driving up to ski in the Dolomites - just dont know what to do. I don’t think we will get any money back now, but don’t want to get stuck there or be put into a two week quarantine either.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m really wondering what is the increased statistical risk with this compared to the usual winter flu deaths around Europe, and the usual road traffic deaths in the Asian countries.

I’m due to go to Jakarta for a day (!) at end of March. No one wants to join, and they are international health professionals!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am (supposed to be) off to Madonna di Campiglio on Saturday and flying to Verona airport which is smack between the two regions in Italy where the outbreaks have been. Madonna is about 150km north so am not too worried other than transferring through the airport. However, I have registered with https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy to get immediate email notifications in case the UK recommend against travelling to Italy. As mentioned by @Hurtle, I don't think insurance will pay out for cancellation unless the FCO change this to a warning against travel or the airport shuts down.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flying to Turin on Sunday for 5 nights in Bardonecchia.

Not too concerned at the moment as Turin a couple of hours west of Milan and then we are basically right on the French border anyway. But watching with close interest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Austria we have now been told to avoid all but essential travel to northern Italy and to be prepared for border checks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SnowB1KinOldy,
Quote:

I have registered with https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy to get immediate email notifications in case the UK recommend against travelling to Italy.
Good idea. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are flying into Innsbruck on 14th March for a transfer to Arabba. Four in our group (neighbour and his daughter in her 20's, wife and myself- none of us in the high risk categories).

Will be keeping an eye on how things develop.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another thing to consider:

The Irish foreign office is currently advising against to Lombardy / Veneto / Piedmont etc. This covers most of the airports used by skiers heading for the Italian Alps: Marco Polo, Treviso, Verona, Bergamo, Malpensa, Linate, Turin...

If the UK issues similar advice (fairly likely?), does this mean travel insurance would be invalid if you choose to travel against this advice?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

don’t want to get stuck there or be put into a two week quarantine either.

This is what I'd feel - I'd be worried about being caught up in quarantine/lock down. As I'm not heading to Italy it's a theoretical worry for me. But I had been wondering about a quick trip to France in a month or so - just a long weekend, and it would be by car/ferry, not plane. But I'm aware the situation could have changed (for the better or worse) before then. And I was talking to a friend shortly setting off on a long, expensive and complicated holiday involving cruise ships, home stays with friends in New Zealand, Colombo, Hong Kong, Western Australia etc. She really didn't know what to do - and whether the itinerary the cruise company was offering (missing Hong Kong) was going to be worth doing. I think I'll be hanging fire on any travel arrangements which need big prior financial commitments. Good luck with the Italian travel, folks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella,
Quote:

If the UK issues similar advice (fairly likely?), does this mean travel insurance would be invalid if you choose to travel against this advice?
Yes, I think so.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lloyds Gold Axa insurance

We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from... . Your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign
and Commonwealth Office or the World Health Organisation has advised the public not to travel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w,
Quote:

I'd be worried about being caught up in quarantine/lock down.
me too a bit. Might take extra supplies of regular meds with me.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, @holidayloverxx, thanks. So reading between the lines, not only would your insurance be invalid if you decided to travel, it would also be invalid if you cancelled and tried to claim on the incurred costs?
latest report
@denfinella, Lloyds again

What is not covered - Your reluctance to continue travelling unless the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) announces that travellers should avoid the country or area that You are in. No cover will be available when travelling against FCO advice

What is covered - Before You reach Your destination. We will pay You up to £5,000 for Your unused travel, accommodation (including excursions up to £250) and other Pre-paid Charges that You cannot claim back from any other source if You cannot travel and have to cancel Your Trip as a result of The Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) or other regulatory authority in a country to/from which You are travelling advising against all travel or all but essential travel to the country or specific area You are travelling to providing the advice came into force after You opened Your account or made Your travel
arrangements for this Trip (whichever is the later) and was within 28 days of Your departure date

Check your own insurance
ski holidays
@denfinella,
Quote:

it would also be invalid if you cancelled and tried to claim on the incurred costs?
No. Why? Of course you'd have to show good cause for cancelling eg Government advice, or possibly being at high risk.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, cross post. I imagine that sort of wording is common to most policies.
snow report
It seems that once FCO have issued the relevant travel advice you'd either have to cancel OR travel uninsured - which in the circumstances, would be pretty daft, just for a holiday. I have a friend whose wife died - funeral is on Wednesday - daughter in China can't travel. Gradually, if this goes on, more and more of us are going to be caught up in it, one way or another.
snow report
@Hurtle, ah ok, think I misinterpreted your quote.

So, claiming on cancelling a trip to Italy as a result of foreign office advice would be OK. @holidayloverxx's post clarifies this.

Whereas claiming during your trip to Italy which you had taken despite foreign office advice would not be OK.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 24-02-20 15:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Whereas claiming on your trip to Italy as a result of foreign office advice would not be OK

Claiming in respect of a trip to Italy undertaken despite FCO advice would not be OK. As things stand now, it would be - whereas cancelling wouldn't.

My daughter works for the Office of National Statistics. Several of her colleagues have been transferred at nil notice to some big number crunching crisis team.
snow report
@denfinella, what does your insurance say?
snow report
I am supposed to be traveling to Selva on 14th March via Verona - I will watch this thread with interest. I have already e-mailed my insurer to ask what impact there would be on my cover should the Corona Virus situation deepen?
ski holidays
One of the problems is that, by the nature of the beast, advance information is going to be difficult or impossible to get. Lots of last-minute decisions to be made.
ski holidays
@denfinella,
Quote:

claiming on your trip to Italy as a result of foreign office advice would not be OK
sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this. But, as @holidayloverxx says, you should check with your insurers if you have any doubts.
ski holidays
A quick check of the Italian regional government website's shows that the current restrictions are due to stop at the weekend (29th/1St).

But then, a week is a long time for things to develop ...
snow report
@Hurtle, I don't understand either. My insurance has clauses about curtailing on FCO advice once there but I'm not going to copy and paste all afternoon
snow report
SnowB1KinOldy wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

Thanks for the link, signed up, now to complete phase two of the packing for the GnarliBuG. snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 24-02-20 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Funny how this outbreak in northern Italy started just when the Birthday Bashers were there... Puzzled

Perhaps avoiding showers and smearing one's nether regions in Deep Heat gives some sort of immunity from the viruses worst effects?
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

I'm not going to copy and paste all afternoon
I'm sure nobody would want you to. wink Tbh I'm still only working on general principles, it's a bit soon to be checking the small print. But when it gets to that stage, people must bear in mind that each policy is unique.
snow report
@red 27, Laughing
snow conditions
Must nag my son, who is due to go to Genoa this coming long weekend to see his son, to check up on everything. Apart from anything else I'm lined up to take over child care of the London based 3 year old, should he not make it back, as planned, on Sunday.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, @holidayloverxx, I have edited my previous post to make it clearer.

But yes, I will need to read my own travel insurance policy wording. Originally I just posted about foreign office advice / travel insurance as a response to the OP.
snow report
We are due to fly to Verona for a week in Madonna on March 7th - for now I think its just wait and see, BA flight on a Crystal package.
As long as the FCO don't say don't go then I think we will go for it but a lot could change in that time!
snow conditions
denfinella wrote:

The Irish foreign office is currently advising against to Lombardy / Veneto / Piedmont etc. This covers most of the airports used by skiers heading for the Italian Alps: Marco Polo, Treviso, Verona, Bergamo, Malpensa, Linate, Turin...

There are certainly plenty of "news" articles on the internet about this advice from the irish FO but the official website does not seem to indicate this at all (yet). Did you read some news article or do you have a link to an official statement by the Irish FO advising against travel to those areas?
ski holidays
TUI shares down 10%, Easyjet down 16%

General down day but I wonder if that Irish FO advice has really spooked people...

I'm due to go to Verona / Pozza on the 7th and like posters above the worry is getting stuck out there for ages and/or caught up in all sorts of logistical BS.

I'll take a view nearer the time unless the UK FO takes the decision for me.
latest report
@NeddySkiGoon, Well I got the snowHeads BUG by going to the preBBWUW but hopefully it will be the only one I will be getting from Italy.
snow conditions
SnowB1KinOldy wrote:
denfinella wrote:

There are certainly plenty of "news" articles on the internet about this advice from the irish FO but the official website does not seem to indicate this at all (yet). Did you read some news article or do you have a link to an official statement by the Irish FO advising against travel to those areas?

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/ :: "Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas."
latest report
Im skiing in Northern Italy now and the local schools have shut for the week and all ski trips for kids cancelled.. on arrival in Bergamo sunday everyone was heat checked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy