Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Tyrol closed from this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Well thats my holiday over before it began Sad

https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus

Latest information

On 12 March 2020 the regional government of Tirol decreed new preventative measures aimed at combating and limiting the spread of the Coronavirus. All cable cars and other ski lifts in Tirol will close at the end of the day on Sunday, 15 March 2020. Accommodation providers (hotels, apartments, private rooms, etc.) will close on Monday, 16 March 2020. Further details will be given by the regional government in a press conference at 10:00 on Friday, 13 March 2020.

These comprehensive measures have been decided on in close cooperation with the authorities and the local tourism industry. The health and safety of the local population, staff working in the tourism industry and guests from around the world is our number one priority.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-03-20 7:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems like the Vorarlberg is closing too. My end of season trip to Lech looks like it is over. *cries*
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah we found out about it late last night and have had to cancel our two week trip due for tomorrow. I am so upset about it as it has been looked forward and planned for many weeks and I needed that break so badly. Feels a bit like a recurring dream I always have prior to going but this one has actually come true!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given the developments in the Salzburger Land, it probably won't be long until the ski season is ended across the whole of Austria.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
Given the developments in the Salzburger Land, it probably won't be long until the ski season is ended across the whole of Austria.

It pretty much is, Kaernten, Salzburgerland and Vorarlberg all followed Tirol's lead in announcing last night that the end of the ski season will be this weekend: lifts shut Sunday, hotels on Monday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Carinthia?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, I believe Kärnten/Carinthia have closed. Oberösterreich and Steiermark not - yet. I suspect that will come still.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
klang180 wrote:
Yeah we found out about it late last night and have had to cancel our two week trip due for tomorrow. I am so upset about it as it has been looked forward and planned for many weeks and I needed that break so badly. Feels a bit like a recurring dream I always have prior to going but this one has actually come true!

Know how you feel... I have been looking forward to the one we had booked for April, since last May!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was heading out to Mayrhofen on the 13th April, all now cancelled of course.

Will probably hit Hintertux when the world returns to normal in a couple of months.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were due to go to Schladming. It hasn't shut, but with the flights cancelled, there's not much hope.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PrimroseAndBlue, Schladming have announced they are closing on Sunday, whatever the "official" Steiermark decision is.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Anton and Ischgl are now quarantined for 14 days.

Moreover, on Friday, 13 March 2020 (applicable from 14:00) the Paznaun Valley including the municipalities of Galtür, Ischgl, See and Kappl as well as the municipality of St. Anton am Arlberg have been isolated.

https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
We were due to go to Schladming. It hasn't shut, but with the flights cancelled, there's not much hope.
it has as of tonight
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had an email from the hotel in Bad Hofgastein today, resort shutting down as of 16th

Quote:

due to the official decision by the state government of Salzburg Land, we are also obligated to close our hotel on the 16th of March 2020 until further notice.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lech at Easter cancelled as of yesterday. Waiting on further info but 3 options available:

1) Same date holiday to be transferred to France - Same package/value

2) Refund if nothing suitable or France closes resorts available through Tour Operator

3) Defer holiday to same date next year or nearest departure date ie Flights on a Sunday

'A lot depends on next week's findings..'

snowHead
ski holidays
Really hard to see French resorts make it through the next week still open
latest report
We are flying home tonight out of Salzburg after a week long trip - skied 2 of the Innsbruck areas (one each end of the trip) with 5 days ski touring in the Stubai Alps (staying in refuges) in between.

A great trip - though very fortunate with our timing. Jet 2 emailed us 3 times yesterday to say:
- Flight to Edinburgh operating and normal but that it was our last chance to get home before Austria flights were suspended.
- Flight was off - do not go to the airport.
- That second email was sent in error - flight IS going.

Meanwhile, skiing this morning at Patscherköfel was surreal - car park, ticket office, whole ski area totally deserted when we arrived at 9.15am. We had the place entirely to ourselves. It was great - but felt eerie and very sombre...

Still managed a good ski though - brilliant area with over 3000ft vertical.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Meanwhile, skiing this morning at Patscherköfel was surreal - car park, ticket office, whole ski area totally deserted when we arrived at 9.15am. We had the place entirely to ourselves. It was great - but felt eerie and very sombre...

I can imagine. In contrast, Interspar was pretty busy and the garden centre was heaving!
snow report
I got the email saying the Edinburgh flight was cancelled from Salzburg and then had to spend £600 on easyjet flights out of Munich. Then one hour latet another email from Jet2 saying, oops sorry about that last email. Total farce!
latest report
Jimbo, I guess you will be going to Hintertux in the summer though?
snow conditions
Maybe, but right now I'm just sick of airports.
snow conditions
All French resorts closed 'Only 4hrs notice given to resorts??

Chaos at Airports, Hope all those travelling get home safely and soon..

snowHead
snow report
JimboS wrote:
Maybe, but right now I'm just sick of airports.

Road trip!
snow report
Austria has a national curfew now. It looks like a family or single person would be able to go for a walk in an unpopulated area, but police now have powers to take action against groups meeting outside their houses.
snow report
Austria - UK flights stopped.

From FO site

"The Austrian authorities have introduced a number of precautionary restrictions on travel and events in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Extensive restrictions are in place throughout Austria, affecting all areas of everyday life. Air travel restrictions are in place between Austria and a number of countries. From 23:59 on 16 March, there will no direct air links between Austria and the UK, Netherlands, Ukraine and Russia. As of midnight on 16 March, there will be no direct air or rail connections from Austria to Spain, France, and Switzerland. There are no direct flights and trains between Austria and Italy. You should contact your tour operator or airline for more information."
snow conditions
It will be interesting to see what the difference in outcome between the Austrian "shut everything down" approach and the UK's more laid back (if that is the right expression!) approach. There are arguments both ways. I suspect that the Austrian system is more capable of ensuring a basic level of income for practically everyone, whereas very difficult to do in UK (let alone US).
latest report
Also the Austrian hotspots are pretty much concentrated in major cities of tourism based ski towns. Away from those a lot of villages are tight communities and have resources to help local people. If they can contain the main outbreaks it gives them a lot of time to scale up the already pretty good healthcare provision.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
Also the Austrian hotspots are pretty much concentrated in major cities of tourism based ski towns. Away from those a lot of villages are tight communities and have resources to help local people. If they can contain the main outbreaks it gives them a lot of time to scale up the already pretty good healthcare provision.

Very easy to contain the Paznaun valley - just the one road in/out.

Took me 4 hours to get through the checkpoint at the entrance to the valley - just to fill in a form.

Innsbruck hotel I booked was deserted - apart from displaced British skiers from Ischgl and St Anton.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buchanan101 wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Very easy to contain the Paznaun valley - just the one road in/out.

Took me 4 hours to get through the checkpoint at the entrance to the valley - just to fill in a form.

Innsbruck hotel I booked was deserted - apart from displaced British skiers from Ischgl and St Anton.

I was in Galtur, and was given less than an hours notice we where leaving. Had to complete the paperwork stating how long we had been there, for the hotel to stamp, pay bar bill. No time for the evening meal. 20+ people stood outside waiting for a Coach that was late, no Reps in sight. Sat in the queue to go through the Police checkpoint, only for the Police to turn the coach back, 5 mins from the Hotel, a phone call to the driver to say we can leave the valley. Back down to join the queue. 5 hours to do an hours journey, to a hotel that had been reopened for us, a 0200 arrival meant no food. Breakfast provided, but not enough food for lunch. Cant leave the grounds. Eventually get a transfer to Innsbruck Airport, no sign of the masks we where told we would get. Though a very few passengers did have them. No airport staff did, with the exception of one border guard at passport control (he had gloves and mask, his colleague sat next to him didnt).
snow report
Austrian Airlines has announced it is suspending all services.
snow report
I work in a pharma R&D company in Austria and manage a team of 17 people. Everyone was contacted last night and told not to come to the office today.

Basically, my task today has been figuring out who can do a valid 40 hours a week from home. Scientists, quite easily as they can focus on writing papers and funding proposals. Lab technicians not so much, as all lab based experimental work is stopped for now.

The current story is that if someone can't work from home, they must use any owed time in lieu (and this is an actual, monthly calculated number of hours, not just some vague handwavey debt of a day here and there), then draw down on any accumulated annual leave days and then, apparently, transfer to a government funded arrangement where they receive 80% of full pay, but aren't working and will be able to return to their prior job, assuming the company still exists. I don't know enough about this last step, as no one in my team will hit that for a few weeks, but I do feel a bit bad making people effectively burn their summer holiday now, when they can't actually go on holiday anywhere.

All of the above is different if one has children at home under the age of 14. In this case special leave (Sonderurlaub) is granted for up to two weeks. Kindergartens and schools are closed, except for emergency, can't find other childcare, cases.

This might all just be valid for my company, and we are closely associated with a University, but it at least gives a flavour of how things are working out in Austria at the moment.

The real challenge is actually going to be building momentum again for all ongoing work, and also new project pipelines, when not only us but all our clients have also had to deal with a lock down situation for however long.

Nonetheless, I feel pretty lucky to have it as good as I do right now. Not on a zero hours contract and with what feels like a big fat safety net underneath.
ski holidays
@phillc, The situation in Bavaria is similar though currently without some of the restrictions in Austria (no issue to go for a walk or a bike ride). In terms of work the German "Kurzarbeit" system is very good and simple. Basically laid off employees get 60% of the net salary for time not worked which we get back from the tax system. It is very easy to administer and flexible. We have already put a couple of the staff into full time Kurzarbeit and the rest will only be coming in if there is work in the very near future. Clearly this considerably reduces our overhead costs. It also seems certain (though full details yet to emerge) that it will be possible to suspend all lease and commercial mortgage payments if desired.
snow conditions
@phillc, sounds pretty similar to what is happening at my place of work. At the moment we have 'Betriebsurlaub' which will probably eat up my annual leave and overtime. At whatever point we start working again, which assumes there will be something to do, we will probably be working remotely and on shorter hours.
snow report
Ötztal is in quarantine from Sölden up (I think Ötz, Langenfeld, etc are ok), and roads closed.
snow conditions
I suspect they'll probably add a few more places to that list too. The rest of the lift served Arlberg is on there, yet to move down the valley towards Landeck which surprises me as in recent years the seem to be more people staying in the likes of Pettneu and Flirsch and getting the ski bus in.
latest report
Posted this link in the Ischgl thread but relevant here too

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/ischgl-austrian-ski-resort-flings-coronavirus-around-europe-a-68e10295-1d9c-42cc-9e52-7fea35436479
snow report
There is a decision being made about Flachau this afternoon due to 3 cases there.
ski holidays
There will be other resort villages following suit, hearing reports from people that have been working in Mayrhofen testing positive.
latest report
The suspicion must be that anyone who has been working in an apres ski spot must be at a higher risk. I have seen reports in the German media about a similar thing happening related to a club in Berlin. There will be loads more reports like this over the coming weeks.
ski holidays
Hard to know which threads to post the updates in these days, but the whole of Tyrol is now in quarantine.

https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/63680/tirol-stellt-alle-279-gemeinden-unter-quarantane
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy