Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on lodge week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I've been lucky and got a backcountry lodge week coming up in Jan. I'm going to take warm clothes, ski gear and a bottle of booze. Are there things I should be taking that I wouldn't take on a day tour (my only expertises so far)? Are there tips? I'm pretty new to the touring thing - got clothes, skis, skins, avi kit - transceiver. Nowt else. I'd appreciate advice, many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. What is a “back country lodge”? A bit of clarity would help.

2. Do you want advice on accommodation? Or day touring? A better thread title might also help ...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Canada innit. It'll be touring out of a fixed location. A few home comforts I'd guess - book etc if you only need to pack em in once and entertainment for down days, though all that depends on the luxury level or otherwise of the lodge. Flip flops/ hut slippers probably a good idea
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kindle, functional hydration system (ie won't freeze or scald you, and large enough capacity), kendal mint cake (or other high energy quick-to-eat on-mountain snacks), more socks, blister kit/gel pads/ducktape, possibly power pack depending on availability of electricity, highly recommend merino for your base layers, camera with a back up SD card.

Depending on where you're going possibly also crampons, axe and ice screw, but if they're needed your operator would probably already have informed you!

Edit: depending on toilet facilities baby wipes can also be nice to have...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 25-11-20 10:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Re "warm clothing": take layers, rather than thick garments, to give more flexibility - both touring and in the evenings.

Check what they expect you to carry each day, so what size pack you need.

Check the lodge details. It might be super-insulated with efficient heating, but if colder, a fleece hat can help you stay warm. Electronic gadgets may be a waste of time/effort if no wifi or phone signal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Really does depend on how luxurious or not your lodge is?

I'm sure whoever you are going with will be able to provide the detail, and if logistics of getting there is not too much of a hassle you can take all that you can carry etc

The lodge we stayed in Siberia was like a 3* hotel, warm and functional, though no showers and or baths, that's what the sauna was for!

Re clothing for the actual skiing, took this from another site

Clothing:

Heavy/mid weight socks compatible with your footwear - 2-3 pairs.
Heated electric socks or insoles is a very good option and highly recommended.
Base Layer Top and Bottom, warm – 2 pieces each.
Mid-Insulation Layer Top - Polartec 100 or analog.
Mid-Insulation Layer Bottom – Polartec/Powerstretch pants or analog.
Warm jacket – Synthetic or down.
Weather Layer Top - Gore-Tex/Softshell or other waterproof breathable jacket.
Weather Layer Pants - Gore-Tex/Softshell or other waterproof breathable pants.
Down jacket warm to minus 25-30°C.
Hats (warm and light).
Light gloves
Insulated gloves
Insulated mittens
High snow boots
Slippers for the lodge

Personal equipment:

Backpack, 25-30 litres.
Personal First Aid kit (blister kit, your personal medications)
Thermos or insulated flask, 1L. Good idea to have both.
Sunglasses (CE rated 3 or 4)
Ski goggles, plus extra pair.
Headlamp, extra batteries.
Sun/Cold and Lip Cream (factor 30+).
Personal toiletries, towel.
Tupperware box
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depending on who you will be sharing a room with - ear plugs.
A multi-mineral supplement might help you deal with the exercise & altitude better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
x2 (actually x1,000,000) on earplugs

As others have said, research your lodge. Even on hut to hut tours I like to have a top and some leggings designated for hut use. How are you getting into the lodge? If you're getting some sort of transport, you can carry a load of stuff "just in case"; if it's a walk, you need to be smarter about weight

Check the forecast before you go - I've had hut trips where I've worn shorts and a t-shirt most of the time around the hut; I've also had hut trips where I've had to wear every available piece of down and still felt chilly
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks going to Powder Creek. It's a guided trip, Heli in and day walks from the lodge. I'll bring blister kit!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bottle of Booze?
Try a bottle of "Crown Royal" Canadian Whisky.
Its great for drinking in the hot tub, especialy if you put a glug of maple syrup in it.
Do you think you might be doing a bit of "ice fishing" ?

If you get a chance its a blast .. ride take skidoos right out into the wilderness.

I'm lucky enough to get invited to my mates lodge near Kicking Horse.
See below in the signature
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Packing list here
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/backcountry-skiing-checklist

If you are the safety conscious type, avalanche airbag & parachute.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd second the suggestion of bringing a pair of proper winter boots.

Not sure of Powder Creeks toilet facilities but a lot of the lodges the toilets are separate from the lodge.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spare batteries (or rechargeables+charger & US/Canada adaptor) - they don't last as long in very cold weather
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy