Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Skiing - 1980s Ski Magazine Articles (Proposals for the Future)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Lockdown got so bad that nothing else for it but to start sorting the disgrace which is...the garage... Laughing

Amongst the bomb site of 30 years-worth of tents, bikes, skis, ski poles, bits of wood, broken power tools and general cr@p, I came across three 1980s ski mags (1986-1989).

Some interesting stuff - eg a company called Alpine Tours advertising summer skiing trips (May to October) to 'Austria's biggest year-round ski area - namely Stubai Glacier...How times change...

Anyway, found some particularly interesting stuff on Scottish skiing - will post the first of three articles shortly Very Happy - namely, plans to develop up to three new ski areas in the Highlands, as well as expand the terrain at Cairngorm.

If only eh?? rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 30-04-20 18:49; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here we go - the first of the articles from the archives. From Ski UK ('Britain's Magazine for Serious Skiers') - Sept '86, cost £1.00.

Hopefully the pics. will be readable with a bit of zooming.

Well at least we ended up with Nevis Range....

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great stuff mountainaddict!

I can't believe you've had the mags for over 30 years!

It's also hard to believe they haven't been made into mice nests by now... wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loved this. Thanks for sharing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More to come Very Happy - will post another article tomorrow.

Does anybody know how the 80s proposals effectively came to nothing Puzzled Where did it all go wrong? rolling eyes

Drumochter would've been a good spot...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting reading, I remember many moons digging out the plans for Jeans Gully. Never looked at the Dalwhinnie one though, fascinating.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nevisport! Britonlifts!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An article in the Scottish Field magazine from last year about celebrating 30 years at Nevis Range

https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/outdoors/celebrating-30-years-of-adventure-at-the-nevis-range/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that larry1950 - very interesting.

Quote:
Nevisport! Britonlifts!
Don't know about Britonlifts - but Nevisport are still open in Middlesbrough and Aviemore - Fort William too, I think...

So it's onward with my next 1980s ski Scotland snippet - and funny that you should mention Nevis Range Very Happy ! The following is from Ski Survey ('Magazine of the Ski Club of Great Britain') - Sept. 1989 (£1.50).

Can't remember anything at all about this one! Another Scottish ski plan that never happened...Or did it Puzzled Assuming that only Warrens would have the required gradient...but would that have been long enough? And where was the Glenshee speed track?

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:
And where was the Glenshee speed track?

I would think on Glas Maol, there isn't the runout from anywhere on the Cairnwell side.

There is a timing hut at Nevis Range, so that part of the plan went ahead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, the Glenshee track was in Glas Maol.
I spent a lot of time at Glenshee in those days and remember the Salomon and Smirnoff sponsored speed events. I was a very youthfull spectator, I remember John Clark being the main man and also seeing his name in the mags at the time.

I'm pretty sure I bought and read all of those magazines cover to cover, please keep posting. Would also love to see some of the pictures from back in the day.

Thanks for posting.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One recurring potential development not mentioned in these articles is Ben Wyvis which has been subject to several proposals over the decades and the general concept continues to be promoted from time to time by Jamie Stone the Lib Dem MP for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.

From 1989: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11892017.rival-groups-in-bitter-battle-to-create-ben-wyvis-ski-resort/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fascinating that haggishunter - haven't heard of that one...

Such a shame that none of the new ski areas worked out Sad.... and that one of the old ones (Cairngorm) has turned out to be such a lame duck... Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's the latest instalment Very Happy (again from Ski UK - Sept '86)...Bit of a theme emerging here - another Scotland proposal that, as far as I know, didn't get off the ground....rolling eyes

I don't recall this one either - but do remember that Glencoe used to have a small ski (and maybe mountaineering?) museum in one of the buildings under the access chair....

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy