Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Advice (All Mountain Ski)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys, new here (admin please feel free to move if in the wrong place).

I'm currently looking at replacing my skis, and I'm looking for some advice from people who've skied any of the Dynastar Legend 96, Zag H-95 or Fischer Ranger 102FR. Budgets not an issue on these 3, and I've skied a 2012 Legend for 7 seasons now, but I've killed one of the bindings and they're a little short for how aggressive I ski now. Looking for general feeling as to what people would go for between these 3 (or if there is any stand out choices I've missed).

Bit of background, I'm 185cm (just shy of 6'1 in old money), ~95kg (200lbs) and looking at an all mountain ski. I try and escape the UK roughly 3 times a year, usually to the French alps or Pyrenees. I'm a pretty aggressive on-piste skier, who (conditions permitting in Europe) loves to spend some time in a deep powder field (usually lift accessed, sometimes I might take a walk). Looking for a ski that has good 50/50 performance, but primarily for Europe it has to like a piste.

Please go easy on me here Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blizzard Brahma 88 in 180cms ……. Done!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ccfc_aaron, welcome to SH's. Is ccfc Coventry or Cardiff?

First off, the ski you are looking for (AM 50/50) is I would say the most asked about on here and the most bought ski. Hence there are lot of ski's to choose and a lot of opinions on what is good and what is not.

Second, what most people will say is try before you buy. The guy who runs SH's runs a ski test in the Autumn and many shops in resort will also try before you buy.

That said: Me, my son and daughter all currently ski Dynastar - Cham 97, Legend X84, Legend X96 respectively. And there are no complaints. So I would say a solid option. We ski as much lift served off piste as conditions allow. I like the reviews of the Zag I have to say, although I've never heard of Zag before. And the Fischer seems good too. You will be lucky to find someone who has skied even two of those to any degree mind about three.

If you've been skiing Legend's up until now that is pretty good argument for going for the same.

It's a good time to buy for sure. Where are you looking?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Duplicate

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 29-04-20 14:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When all is said and done has anyone skied a *bad* ski in recent years (NOTE not a good ski with a bad tune.....)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
@ccfc_aaron, welcome to SH's. Is ccfc Coventry or Cardiff?

If you've been skiing Legend's up until now that is pretty good argument for going for the same.

It's a good time to buy for sure. Where are you looking?

Hi Layne,

Unfortunately for my sins it's Coventry....

And I guessed I'd struggle, just wanted to see if there wear any strong opinions either way.

My 2012 Legend 94's have never let me down, they're just too short for me now and I've officially killed the binding on them, so I'm most tempted by this seasons X96. Having tied a Zag a few years ago (my friend had a set), I can vouch for them being excellent off-piste ski's in a wider width, but I've heard things about them de-lamming after a few years, and lets face it, getting a ski that heavily favours off piste isn't much use for a lot of the french alps at times Laughing

My minds pretty made up, I just wanted to see if there we're any horror stories, or better yet someone willing to sing praise about how good their skis are, never hurts to get some opinions.

I'm currently looking on EkoSport, I've had stuff off of them before, they're really quick and helpful over the old electronic-mail, and due to the current situation they're having a pretty aggressive sale, with another 10% off loads of the winter gear if anyone does want a look.

Cheers
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
When all is said and done has anyone skied a *bad* ski in recent years (NOTE not a good ski with a bad tune.....)
Perhaps it mostly that the match between the ski and skier which may be "bad", if you see what I mean.

By analogy, you probably can't buy a "bad" Sabatier knife, but if you try to peel an apple with a butter knife you may find it doesn't work that well.

Which is why most people would probably want to have a little play on any prospective purchase first.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hasn't Jon still got some bargain White Dots ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you like skiing fast and dynamically on piste then I might consider something a bit punchier like volkl mantras or stockli stormrider 95 (budget permitting). Guess blizzard bonafides and nordica enforcers are in a similar category.

I'm not one to argue wider is better but I think you are right to go for mid-90s rather than anything narrower given your use and build.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ccfc_aaron wrote:
Unfortunately for my sins it's Coventry....

Tough times mate, tough times Sad

ccfc_aaron wrote:
And I guessed I'd struggle, just wanted to see if there wear any strong opinions either way.

Yeah sure, just tempering expectations as it were.

ccfc_aaron wrote:
My 2012 Legend 94's have never let me down, they're just too short for me now and I've officially killed the binding on them, so I'm most tempted by this seasons X96.

Sounds a good low risk purchase.

ccfc_aaron wrote:
Having tied a Zag a few years ago (my friend had a set), I can vouch for them being excellent off-piste ski's in a wider width, but I've heard things about them de-lamming after a few years

Always a bit of a put off if you hear a bad report or two.

ccfc_aaron wrote:
I'm currently looking on EkoSport, I've had stuff off of them before, they're really quick and helpful over the old electronic-mail, and due to the current situation they're having a pretty aggressive sale, with another 10% off loads of the winter gear if anyone does want a look.

I've used both ekosport and glisshop. Found them hard to beat to be honest. Good luck with your purchase.

Just one other thing. Worth getting a bit better binding than the basic I reckon. I've had binding problems/failings in the past. I'm slightly taller/heavier but also fairly aggressive skier. You generally get what you pay for with bindings. Eko and Gliss usually have various options.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

slightly taller

bit of an understatement there I think Layne
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similar size to you went for Atomic Vantage 90 Ti , great in the crud as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a similar weight, height and skier type and ski the Legend 96 in a 186cm with a Salomon Z12 binding. I really like them, good off piste and in the chop and crud, and OK on piste. If you want better piste performance then i'd look at the heavier skis, Matra, Bonafide, Enforcers - they aren't rubbish on the piste but they are no GS screamer either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

slightly taller

bit of an understatement there I think Layne

Can't sleep?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@philwig,

Quote:

most people would probably want to have a little play on any prospective purchase first

I'd say.

I'd (and have) buy race skis without testing. I wouldn't want to do the same with my daily skis. We tried various things a couple of years ago and while they were all fine, we both settled on different things for different reasons.
ski holidays
Depends if you want to buy last seasons model cheap, but if you are looking at Dynastar then next seasons M-Pro 99 looks like a great update of the Legend 96. Titanal layer should make it grip better on piste and less taper should make it smoother off piste.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Perhaps it mostly that the match between the ski and skier which may be "bad", if you see what I mean.

By analogy, you probably can't buy a "bad" Sabatier knife, but if you try to peel an apple with a butter knife you may find it doesn't work that well.

Or for a slightly less stabbie analogy, you probably can't buy a bad pair of core brand ski boots. You can buy a pair that don't fit, or you just don't feel connected with though.

philwig wrote:
Which is why most people would probably want to have a little play on any prospective purchase first.

Cough, Oktobertest, cough. Not ideal for testing all mountain/off piste skis, but enough for me to work out I really got on with the Legend X96s - and really didn't get on with the Faction - Prodigy 2.0s!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
... I'd (and have) buy race skis without testing. I wouldn't want to do the same with my daily skis. We tried various things a couple of years ago and while they were all fine, we both settled on different things for different reasons.
<laughs> I also buy race boards without testing.... I avoided being too prescriptive for that reason.

Race snowboards cover a very narrow range of designs, and if you know the specification/ manufacturer/ purpose then
dialling in your weight is accurate enough in my experience. Powder boards are a completely different thing though - I'm
extremely picky about those. I often ride all Burton's powder boards, and adjacent models (designed by the same guy...)
are often chalk and cheese.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
philwig wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Or for a slightly less stabbie analogy, you probably can't buy a bad pair of core brand ski boots. You can buy a pair that don't fit, or you just don't feel connected with though.

That's kind of my point, whilst I'd never buy boots without going to a boot fitter I'm pretty sure if you know what works for you ski wise, understand some basics about the dimensions of a ski, what affect rocker, sidecut etc has, and combined with scouring reviews on the internet you can *PROBABLY* snap up a bargain and be happy?

I've put 2 pairs of wider skis and 1 punter GS set of skis at great prices out of season without skiing any of them and been delighted with all purchases.
snow report
I bought Dynastar Legend X96 in last spring’s sales & they are as good as anticipated. Sadly I had to miss the main reason for getting them this season but I am booked and eagerly anticipating next...

If you liked the Cham you will like the Legend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy