Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria allowing ski touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Some hope for others local to the hills perhaps?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-austria-to-allow-tennis-golf-and-other-physical-distancing-friendly/

Austria, which has started loosening its coronavirus lockdown, said on Wednesday it would allow some sports compatible with social distancing like tennis and golf to resume from May 1.

The Alpine republic acted early in its outbreak to close restaurants, bars, theatres, schools, non-essential shops and other gathering places roughly four weeks ago. The public have been told to stay at home and work from there if possible.

Unlike in some other countries, however, members of the public have remained relatively free to do exercise like jogging or cycling, provided they respect social distancing rules.

There is no need for a note as in France nor is there a limit of one outing per day as in Britain.

“Of course, individual sports where there is no immediate contact will be given priority more quickly over team sports where contact is generally unavoidable, or contact sports,” Vice Chancellor Werner Kogler, who is also sports minister, told a news conference.

Outdoor facilities that will no longer be off-limits to the public include athletics tracks, tennis courts, golf courses, equestrian centres, shooting ranges and archery ranges, he added.

He said dangerous outdoor sports like ski touring, which is often conducted away from ski resorts, would be allowed but he urged those doing them to stick to “something easy” to avoid accidents.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, Mid May onwards I believe, statement is unclear, what is something easy? - based on that there'll be no appreciable snow left, poor cover this season means snowpack disappearing fast. Its mountainbike season being looked at out there now, skiings done, including touring i'd suggest. I could be wrong but I dont think there'll be much appetite for the locals to head up currently for ski touring...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, that link says May 1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski touring was only banned in quarantine areas (all of Tirol, plus some isolated villages I think) along with any activity that could reasonably be defined as “fun” for a short period which has now been lifted. We were not allowed to leave the immediate area, so that basically ruled everything out anyway.

Since last Tuesday (?) the federal level of lockdown has applied in most places (some villages like Ischgl still quarantined) and that doesn't explicitly ban any mountain sports, it just asks people to refrain due to pressure on emergency services if they get injured. There have never been any time or distance limits like in France, but you're not really supposed to drive anywhere to do your exercise, so it depends where you live really. The authorities would prefer people to undertake exercise with low risk activities like walking, jogging or cycling on cycle paths and stay off the high mountain paths and MTB trails. This is gradually getting pushed a bit now, and the emergency services are going to have to concede soon that they're not under particularly high pressure. Maybe at the end of the month there will be a change of heart?

Personally, I've stuck with the recommended activities, all of which I can do from the front door with my partner. He's not a climber or ski tourer though, so until we're allowed to meet with people outside of the household I'm a bit stuck Confused

It's been very warm and dry the whole ski season though, so not sure I'm missing much. It's climbing season now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Climbing season?
There is snow everywhere above 1500 meters
Our hotelier in Lech was skinning up Kriegerhorn last week. I suppose to the locals that doesn’t count as skitouring though wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, Not here. Snow line is not far off 2000m, and it's 25C in the valley. A nice climbing temp.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, Easy solution is for you to take up skateboarding and work that kiddies' pump track down the hill though given your proclivity for face/ground interfaces while skiing......wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, I can work the longboard, but I'd not be confident enough to take it on the cycle path. I think I'll stick with the bike.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, No cliff jumps on your bike Toofy Grin , you know what you're like!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, I wouldn't anyway, it's only a hardtail so that's gonna hurt! Nope, full sus, a full face helmet and body armour (anyone wanna sponsor me to pay for all that?) and probably some lessons before I do that Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

that link says May 1

@kitenski, yebbut a lot of snow melt by then too, I'd be surprised if many bother, the snow'll be shot now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah....Ski touring begins in May ... there has been a drought (snow & rain ) in Arlberg since begin of March....

207/17 season in May there was epic snow (over 1 metre new) !!

Season is not over until its Over Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
a limit of one outing per day as in Britain.

I don`t think thats the law in England, merely a guideline/recommendation?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CaravanSkier, therein lies part of the problem in U.K. - optional mandates don’t work.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

that link says May 1

@kitenski, yebbut a lot of snow melt by then too, I'd be surprised if many bother, the snow'll be shot now.

Don’t know Arlberg GFS coordinates but over this way it looks like colder temps and precipitation from next week lasting for a while. And there was lots of snow up high. So decent May ski touring could still be possible if they allow it
ski holidays
Always get a good dump of snow around the end of season in the Arlberg.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
So decent May ski touring could still be possible if they allow it

As above, it is already allowed, just not recommended or encouraged.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
So decent May ski touring could still be possible if they allow it

As above, it is already allowed, just not recommended or encouraged.

Fair enough. Here it’s currently actively discouraged which looks being relaxed from end April as hospitals / emergency services returning to « normal »
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy