Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer to Val Thorens. Chambery vs Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello. Wondering what people's experiences are of typical transfer times on a Saturday to VT from Geneva and from Chambery.
Wondering if it's worth the extra expense of a flight to Chambery for a shorter transfer.
We will be flying on Saturday 27th March - easter for some but not all schools.
Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chambery, as you'll find if you use the "search" function is very often problematical because of weather (especially fog) and the fact that on busy weekends it's just not equipped to cope with the numbers. Frankly, it's a gamble - when it works well it would be better than Geneva.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been a few years since I used that airport, but my recollection was that it can be a nightmare on Saturdays - too small to cope with the numbers of passemgers. I suspect that might be a busy Saturday given that it leads up to Easter week
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd investigate costs of transfers to help you make the decision.
Geneva will be a more popular option for the transfer companies as the greater number of folk fly in and out of Geneva.
Chambery is a shorter transfer but might not be that much cheaper for the transfer as less foot fall so the van might be going one way empty.
Mabye contact these guys below and see what prices they can quote you for the transfer to help you make your mind up for the flight.

https://www.mountainexpress.co.uk/

https://www.snowboundtransfers.co.uk/val-thorens-ski-resort-transfers/

http://www.3vt.co.uk

https://snowlinx.com/resorts/val-thorens

These companies are all reliable transfer firms.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve only flown into and out of Chambery twice - we have a 50% record of absolute nightmares! If it works, it’s good and close-ish, but because it’s a small airport, in a steep-sided valley, it suffers from the weather. I’d also guess that if the transfer itself is going to be problematic it wouldn’t really matter where you came from as the issues would be further toward resort, rather than the lower level, motorway-type roads that make up most of the extra distance from Geneva (I’ve only ever gone to PdS, Grand Massif and Cham from Geneva).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My experience has been that it is generally a bit quicker from Chambery than from Geneva.
There are a couple of exceptions, one time from Chambery, it took 7 hours to get to Moutiers, that was a Saturday in March a couple of years ago. The traffic was really really really bad the whole way, so that day a Geneva transfer would probably have taken longer than usual too.

At the other end of the scale, this year a private transfer got us from Val Thorens to Geneva airport in 2 hours and 2 minutes. That was leaving at 4am though, so not much traffic around.

I have had to wait longer for the transfers to leave Chambery than Geneva, but not always. If it’s a tour operator then it’s pot luck, if you have a scheduled bus or private transfer timings are more certain. I tend to usually go for the cheapest option as an hour or two here and there does not make much difference for me.

Also never had any real weather related delays with Chambery, worst about 45minute delay. Could just be luck though!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just note that Geneva has a railway station at the airport. With Chambery it's a taxi into town to catch a train, oddly there doesn't appear to be a shuttle bus. Though members of my family have used it in the past I would not reccomend Chambery if you plan to use a train transfer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for your replies. Have booked Geneva flights and we will just have to stick on an extra movie for the kids if the traffic is bad!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fly to Lyon its a better airport & less chance of weather issues.
Dont worry about transfer times, your biggest worry now is if the swiss/french border will be open.
You may land at Geneva & have to go through personal checks like temperature, etc.
Then do it all again at the Swiss/French Border.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Just note that Geneva has a railway station at the airport. With Chambery it's a taxi into town to catch a train, oddly there doesn't appear to be a shuttle bus. Though members of my family have used it in the past I would not reccomend Chambery if you plan to use a train transfer.

We used the train one way once and that’s when we found out that there isn’t a line of taxis at Chambery waiting for eager holiday makers - they’re all booked to drive people to resorts. We ended up finding a solitary taxi driver who rang his girlfriend (who had a car but wasn’t a taxi). Coming back we just booked a transfer!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@andy from embsay, my wife found 3 other people yo share a taxi with. It's even more important on the return as there doesn't appear to be a taxi rank at chambery station.
@lottster, I think you are wise to fly to Geneva.
@Mr.Egg, flying to Lyon always seems a good idea to me, but sadly there just aren't the number of flights.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@lottster, my experience of bad traffic en route is always between Albertville and Moutiers...which you have to do no matter which airport you use.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy