Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are we becoming a ski club?

Poster: A snowHead
In anticipation of the EOSB tomorrow, I've been thinking. Has snowHeads started to outgrow it's roots as a chat forum, and grow into something bigger?

In my view we have, with members getting together regularly to ski together, have lessons, and go on holiday amongst other things, and so could justify referring to ourselves as a ski club. What do the rest of you think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SCLB Ski Club of Little Britain? Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer. Have you never Googled snowHeads?

"global ski club". It's official.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Kramer. Have you never Googled snowHeads?

"global ski club". It's official.

Has DG forgotten his alternative identity? Or is he really back?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think this quote - from another thread - puts it very well:

Ray Zorro wrote:
In the past, to hook up with like minded individuals, you needed a central body to co-ordinate that activity. With the internet, it is dead easy to meet like minded individuals. The traditional club will give way to "collectives" (or whatever else we should be called) like this.]
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
God, a ski collective! I am/we are Borg.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, we are the incredible tennis machine
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Davids back!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DavidS wrote:
I think this quote - from another thread - puts it very well:

Ray Zorro wrote:
In the past, to hook up with like minded individuals, you needed a central body to co-ordinate that activity. With the internet, it is dead easy to meet like minded individuals. The traditional club will give way to "collectives" (or whatever else we should be called) like this.]

Probably a good way way of looking at it. No articles of association, just a group of internet-minded skiers.

I had planned to try out a SCGB-free skiing season, this year - seeing if, as it were, snowheads could do it for me. January started well, with a cracking holiday organized with the enthusiastic help of easiki - and young lampbus as a fellow pupil and great skiing companion. As you know I was booked into the EOSB - which obviously would have been great fun. However, last month, my regular skiing buddy was very keen that we went to a resort with a rep - which is why we found ourselves at Alpe D'Huez. We got an excellent late deal through Ski Solutions, with an extra discount through being members of the SCGB. But, obviously, 3 weeks good skiing based loosely on snowheads would have been entirely possible.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about massif or co-operative? I do rather like collective. Much less baggage than club end better description of the more informal nature. Slopeside posse?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why can't we stay just as we are?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, I'm not suggesting that we change, just wondering whether there's a better description for what we are now?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, We are visitors to a blokes website and through that medium choose to meet each other in pubs / and or ski resorts now and again wink

Mind you a reverse take over of the ski club would be a laugh wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey Kramer, Shouldnt you be packing and lining your stomach for the coming onslaught. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges,
Quote:
SCLB Ski Club of Little Britain?

Well, we do have jb1970 to play Dafydd!
snow conditions
I'm afraid the concept of a 'club' invariably implies elitism and forced boundaries. The internet's nature is that it is all encompassing ( within reasonable rolling eyes boundaries) and this site's purpose is vague, yet specific enough for the casual observer to become involved.

I for one would loathe it becoming a 'club'. It has enough cliques as it is.
ski holidays
eEvans, as in
Quote:

clique ing
into my bindings on Sunday morning.

Sorry mate, couldn't resist Laughing snowHead
latest report
Welcome back David Goldsmith, Laughing
latest report
eEvans wrote:
I'm afraid the concept of a 'club' invariably implies elitism

I don't know about that. The 'C' in Sunderland AFC stands for 'Club', after all.
ski holidays
richmond, Laughing Laughing I Think you should PM PM
ski holidays
eEvans
Quote:
I'm afraid the concept of a 'club' invariably implies elitism and forced boundaries. The internet's nature is that it is all encompassing ( within reasonable rolling eyes boundaries) and this site's purpose is vague, yet specific enough for the casual observer to become involved.

I for one would loathe it becoming a 'club'. It has enough cliques as it is.

Right on - clubs attract committee members and......................................
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, AArrggh , about the only place I can hide from you today would be in Val Thorens .. snowHead richmond, What a nice note to send Paul Mason away on Shocked
ski holidays
There are lots of different ways to organise that don't include elections and elitism.
ski holidays
snoflake wrote:
........Right on - clubs attract committee members and......................................

Yup. admin's relaxed dictatorship works for me.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, that'll take me five minutes at most.
ski holidays
I think we are fine as we are.
snow report
if it ain't broke don't fix (read change it) snowHead snowHead
snow report
I was amazed when I first got here (from a link on a much quieter ski forum) with the scope of the site and the fact that I am on the eosb to met up with 60 other snowheads is errr.... interesting.

The size of the site is impressive as it's paid for by donations and not membership. The offers and merchandise is more than a lot of places.
But most of all it's the wide range of people that make it, from the professionals to the new skiers/riders.

I think it works fine as it is. It is a collective of like minded fools.
Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be honest I was looking for my local swingers club on google and snowHeads came up !
snow conditions
Yes, Paul, just ask at reception

Photo: www.thesanctuary.co.uk

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 21-04-06 20:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The Abominable snowHead, makes me even more determined to break into this hallowed all-women's turf
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead, oh it's a spa Shocked thought it was one of those German "clubs" spoo
snow report
Yes ... and men won't get past reception. Thought I should point that out!
snow report
Kramer, has a point, Snowheads has grown at a phenomenal rate, with an equally phenomenal range of people (a very loose description in some cases), but I digress. The social events and organising have all been ad-hock and with the largess and effort of a relatively small group of people carrying the majority of the burden ... they all deserve a very big hand for everything they've done. But in reality we shouldn't simply expect them to continue.

As this community develops and we find bargains, benefits and services that can be shared or mutually exploited we are going to need more organising. It's how that organisation is formed and performs is what we should be thinking about. We need to find ways that don't simply emulate the accepted club structure, ways that exploit the medium we're already happily using, and ways that keep egos and argument to the very minimum.

How about the Jury service model for some of it.
snow conditions
Masque, So long as the organising is fairly ad hoc it isn't a problem! No sweat with the PSB last year - chat to a few friends and make a few phone calls and hey presto! However U Brain's doing a hellovalot this week. No more organisation - ppllleeeeeeezzzzzeeeee
ski holidays
I'm glad DG is back as well. I just hope his absense has been for his own reasons and not for anything going on here.

easiski, Yep, top marks and thanks to anyone who can 'put' together a bash. I think the ad-hoc informailty is the thing that makes them works so well..amongst other things, not least the fact you meet some really nice people..
snow report
JT, I agree, the Beaumonts all really enjoyed the PSB and it was good that the teens had some company of a similar age.
snow conditions
Ad-hoc informality, value for money, flexibility, sums up the BLAM - too much organisation and we might as well be on a package holiday Shocked
snow conditions
I think the ad Hoc works well here because of the seasoned skiers who know the in's and out's so can sort stuff out easier and there is a lot of experience for the newer guys to tap into if they have a problem.
ski holidays
To a certain extent it is a club already although somewhat open minded. As I'm never likely to be at a PSB or EOSB unless I end up living in the Alps (too close to real ski season for me) I'm never likely to be in the inner sanctum. As I'm not obsessed with lessons & coaching courses I'm not likely to benefit from other sh events. I do welcome the opportunity to hook up with other sHs particularly those local to an unfamiliar resort to be shown around the better terrain though I haven't actually done this yet.

There's already some elitism on here in that there's sometimes a certain amount of condescending behaviour from shs who are lucky enough to live in the Alps toward lowland dwellers and definitely a distinct pro Europe bias which I'm not sure I always understand e.g. people are quite happy to drive or take the train out to the Alps but a common complaint is that a 9 hour transatlantic flight is too long.

But I quite like it - some of the squabbles are just ridiculous and there are gems to be found among all the chafe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy