Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee supports

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, can anyone recommend a good knee support that you able to tighten when needed . I don't have particular knee injury , just want some support, that will able me to go for it .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How will a knee support enable you to "go for it"?
I wear something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knee-Sleeves-Pair-Weightlifting-Powerlifting/dp/B06W5L5YMK?tag=amz07b-21
They keep my knees warm, aid proprioception/reduce wobble (my knees are a bit arthritic) and reduce swelling. They do not, however, make me go faster!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Proper hinged knee supports (more of a brace) that actually support the knee, are expensive, often custom fitted and are there to help solve a problem.

The rest are, as @Hurtle says, mostly to keep your knees warm and give you a sense of being supported....more through psychological reassurance than actual effectiveness.

It's far better to support your knees through correct strength training of the supporting muscles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
seanh wrote:
Hi All, can anyone recommend a good knee support that you able to tighten when needed . I don't have particular knee injury , just want some support, that will able me to go for it .

It sounds logical but there is no evidence that wearing a knee support to protect an uninjured knee works.
In fact, i did an ACL reconstruction on someone just 10 days ago in someone who ruptured his ligament in a very top end knee brace having previously not had a problem with the knee.

My top tips for avoiding injury if you want to “go for it” would be:

Get strong
Spend money on improving your technique
Stop skiing before your legs are fatigued ( injuries are more likely after 15:00
Don’t ski the home run get the lift
Be very careful who you go on a chairlift with as injuries frequently occur from the person next to you falling across your skis.
Stay sober at lunch time
And dont multiply your height ( in feet) by 2 to arrive at your DIN setting

Welcome to SH
Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="Jonathan Bell"]. there is no evidence that wearing a knee support to protect an uninjured knee works. /quote]

Is there any reasonable evidence that they work to protect a previously-injured or currently-injured (however that is defined) knee - and if so, what type/location of injury, + / - surgical intervention?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonathan Bell, an exceptionally good physiotherapist of your acquaintance advised me to use the neoprene sleeve thingies. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@Jonathan Bell, an exceptionally good physiotherapist of your acquaintance advised me to use the neoprene sleeve thingies. wink

Neoprene knee sleeves almost certainly work by reinforcing proprioception.
Proprioception is the subconscious processing of information from sensors in your knee and leg.
It’s basically a feedback system that helps your brain coordinate movements.
The sensors are found in muscle/ligaments and other tissues.

If your proprioception is reduced then a knee sleeve (about £30) rubs a little on the skin and
the brain picks this up and uses the information to supplement the information is it able to get - thus enhancing it.
So, knees with reduced proprioception like those that have had ligament injury or have osteoarthritis can
feel more secure and perform better from the point of view of proprioception.

Very expensive braces will also enhance proprioception but probably not that much different to your cheap knee sleeve.

Jonathan Bell
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="Grizzler"]
Jonathan Bell wrote:
. there is no evidence that wearing a knee support to protect an uninjured knee works. /quote]

Is there any reasonable evidence that they work to protect a previously-injured or currently-injured (however that is defined) knee - and if so, what type/location of injury, + / - surgical intervention?

There is published evidence that fancy knee braces reduce reinjury in knees that have sustained injury ( with and without surgery)
However, many of the studies were funded by the brace industry. This makes the data suspect - unfortunately
Jonathan Bell
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have an expensive knee brace for my ACL-free knee. I don't wear it when playing football, running around, working out, etc etc. Don't feel the need. I do wear it when skiing. Is it for protection? I don't know... probably more for peace of mind and confidence.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, @Jonathan Bell. I'm interested by your observations. Have considered and tried on top end rigid braces, but not 'felt' (literally) that they provide me with as much 'support' (psychological or physical) for my sometimes sore, possibly lax knees (nor did they fit well).
I certainly wouldn't ski or board without wrap-around adjustable neoprene ones, and often wear for other activities a general elasticated strap around the fib head and lateral joint line, which seems to help with pain in those areas, but agree that perhaps the main 'braces' give a proprioceptive and psychological boost as much as anything.
Do really wonder what justifies well over £500 per knee for some of them...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to wear a patella stabiliser knee support for hockey matches and skiing (post ACL recon) but not for training as trying to make sure properly build up muscles.... however one training they decided we would just have a “quick games”. Stopped and turned sharply- weight came down wrong and I damaged my recon. Maybe same would have happened if I had had my knee support on but can’t help thinking that might have stopped it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@seanh, Have a look at Ski-Mojo keep me skiing and a few others on here too.
https://www.skimojo.com/

You can switch them off if you want and only use them later in the day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jake43 wrote:
@seanh, Have a look at Ski-Mojo keep me skiing and a few others on here too.
https://www.skimojo.com/

You can switch them off if you want and only use them later in the day.

We have had some success with Skimojo for arthritic knees - especially where the
patella is the most symptomatic part of the arthritis.
No published evidence but see a large number of worn knees and get some very positive feedback from
Skiers who have tried it.
Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonathan Bell, i couldn't ski more than a couple of hours without mine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a small pain in the small gap besides the kneecap in the inner left knee that I don't really notice in normal life, but is a problem when skiing. I can't recall any knee injury apart from a mild football one about 30 years ago.

Anyway, I started wearing a 'mid-strength' elasticated support bought from a sports shop last year when skiing and it helped a lot to the point that I didn't experience any discomfort, but I have noticed this year that although it still helps enormously, the pain is getting a little bit stronger (or maybe the support less effective).

Maybe time to get a stronger support, and/or go and see the doctor
ski holidays
I wear a neoprone sleeve on both knees which are sensitive on account of previous mistreatement as a youth. I don't think they really do anything other than make the knees feel tighter, which psychologically makes me feel more confident. I find, icing, stretching and anti-inflammatories as much a part of my ski routine as the neoprone.
snow report
@FrediKanoute,
Quote:

I find, icing, stretching and anti-inflammatories as much a part of my ski routine as the neoprone.
Agreed.
snow report
I am about to buy 2 neoprene sleeves. I am going to ditch the giant CTi knee brace as I have more than enough strength around my knee so as not to need it... but I now find that both knees are as hurty as each other so old age kicking in I guess.
snow conditions
@FrediKanoute, @Hurtle, stretching and hot wheat bags, not ice, in my case; no anti inflamms.
Advised against ice by several physios and sports therapists - but whatever works for each, I guess.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Jonathan Bell, i couldn't ski more than a couple of hours without mine.

Good to hear that. Very Happy
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, i was glad of it over new year, skiing 14 days out of 15.
ski holidays
Interesting discussion about proprioception - finding that balance is a little off even with lots of gym work post ACLR.

Skiing again in 3 weeks and interested in the thought that neoprene braces can improve the proprioception. Any recommendations on manufacturers to look out for, and any bells and whistles to consider?

THanks
ski holidays
SusEpic wrote:
Interesting discussion about proprioception - finding that balance is a little off even with lots of gym work post ACLR.

Skiing again in 3 weeks and interested in the thought that neoprene braces can improve the proprioception. Any recommendations on manufacturers to look out for, and any bells and whistles to consider?

THanks

We use bio skin - the simplest model will be as good as any. Be aware they come up tight - and need to be to stop them slipping.
snow conditions
Thanks @Jonathan Bell, I'll give them a look.
snow report
Thanks @jonathanbell, bioskins arrived earlier this week and feel great..... Tho fear unlikely the resorts will still be open in France by next weekend to properly road test them.... .
ski holidays
SusEpic wrote:
Thanks @jonathanbell, bioskins arrived earlier this week and feel great..... Tho fear unlikely the resorts will still be open in France by next weekend to properly road test them.... .

I know Chx has just closed. Disaster!
Not sure if they'll get it open agin this year.
ski holidays
I bought my CTi brace almost 20 years ago when advised to get it by a consultant at Sports Injury clinic who told me I would not be able to walk if I damaged any more of my left knee! I have now had 8 injuries to that knee, 2 surgeries (ACL repair and cleaning up 2 cartilage tears) plus a tibial plateau fracture which didn't need surgery as it was only a crack and I was wearing the brace at the time. I buy new fittings from time to time and wear it for all skiing plus Scottish country dancing which can involve knee twisting. I wear a neoprene support for hillwalking, cycling and swimming. Now in my 70s and hopefully will be back on the hills walking in summer when we are allowed again and skiing in winter.
snow conditions
@mogulski, great to hear, hope you get another 20 years out of it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Almost 2 years ago exactly I had ruptured ACL fixed, using the thigh tendon, some meniscus removed, and a PCL tidy up. I had this done in a private clinic in Hoch Rum near Innsbruck by a surgeon who knows Mr Bell. Before the operation the surgeon and my physio in London said really work on the prehab (by this time I had had the MRI and diagnosis confirmed) so I got on a static bike for a few weeks as I recall, to build up quads and hams. I was lucky and had full ROM from the start.

I bought the Klinik (Gelenkpunkt) high end brace made by Schaper, but in the end barely used it. Maybe 5 times. I was half way between a small and a medium and i tink we chose a small. This is a long-winded way of saying if you are fairly slightly built (I am 175cms and c 160 lbs) and are recently post op I could lend it to you. It is in Tirol (where I am locked in) so we might have to sort out some P+P.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy