Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on first touring orientated skis please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My first ski related dream came early this year-usually I get them in mid summer. There I was driving up the mountain for a quick ski before heading back to the UK to go to work-a drive that I had estimated in my dream, would take 3 hours...but then I realised it wouldn't....and had to turn around!

So...needing to itch the scratch-I've bitten the bullet and ordered new boots (Nordica Strider Women's 115) which has a multifunction sole and pin binding. These should be my go everywhere boots for next winter. (Yes, I know...online, not professionally fitted-but Nordica boots have always worked for me, and the old ones are at least 6 seasons old).

My touring experience so far has been one day out with Mr P on hired skis using Marker Frame bindings and my old boots. But I am keen to do more now we have a base in the mountains and options to explore.
I'm not looking for pure touring kit. My much loved Blizzard Brahmas are currently on their way out after damage to the side rail right in the middle next to the alpine binding.
Plan is to team new all mountain skis with Shift bindings. So far nothing interesting ski wise has come up in end of season sales. I'd like to track down another pair of Brahmas-or something similar.
Any suggestions? What about length? I like longer skis (female, 54 yo, 5ft 5in, 61kg-ish-but been very happy skiing 173cm all mountain ski). I am thinking something in the 165-170 length). I'm no gnarly ski dude, reasonably fit, but realise there's a balance between weight and uphill ease, and to be fair, these skis will still be used mainly for standard lift accessed downhill skiing-on and off piste.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I rethink the “I'm not looking for pure touring kit” statement now that you have your own place. You will probably be in the mountains a lot and you won't need to transport your skis around, so a tourer makes sense. You'll soon end up with a more n+1 mindset wink

I'm a tiny bit smaller than you, and tour on the Scott Superguide 95 in 168. I get the impression that that's quite a big ski (relatively) for touring, but it seems fine though I haven't used it that much yet. It is very light. However, I have ridden it pretty extensively both on and off piste and it is particularly good for this because, as @spyderjon says, it has a “chonking great piece of metal in that always blunts me drill!” Suffice to say, it is a pretty stiff ski for its type.

I'm not sure I'd put the Shift on it though. Put those on the freeride skis that you will also buy, and get a lighter touring binding for these (the Shift is almost as heavy as the frame bindings). Your legs will thank you after a couple of hours, and you'll be able to do short tours without really noticing you walked. It's also worth considering your DIN – the Shift currently starts at 6, so if you are near or below this, you may want to wait till the low-DIN version is releases, which was supposed to be later this year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll second Superguide 95's. I'm both taller and heavier than you both, and have the 178, paired with Dynafit Radical 2.0's.

I use this combo as my 'full-on' touring set, and have done a few big days in them. But have also done all downhill days on them too and have a blast when doing so! They're light, but still really fun on the down, and cope well in all conditions.

I'll occasionally tour on heavier ski, but same bindings, if it's just a short skin here and there for mostly downhill. But the superguides are so good i don't need to change skis (unless it's a biiiig powder day when fat downhill only whitedots come out to play, no touring bindings fitted Wink )

FYI: I've had the Radical 2.0's for a few years now - got then on Spyderjons advice. I still love them, and have never felt they lacked anything on the downhill, with plenty of control and security. And they are fantastic uphill.

I'd follow spyderjons advice again on the most suitable binding now (but I'm not giving up my Radicals anytime soon!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't got for a dedicated touring ski in your situation. New set of Brahmas sounds like a good option or one of the Blizzard Zero G line

I've been very pleased with some Scott Scrappers I got this season as my touring skis. Light enough for the touring I do (which can involve long days) and very skiable in most conditions
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arno, Surely the Zero G is a dedicated touring ski?

Also, how heavy are you?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Brahma's are brill but weigh a lot and you don't want to be going to far uphill on them. The Scott offerings are excellent and superb value, hence I sell loads of them. The Slight models, the Superguides and the Scrappers are pretty similar construction and are all great all mountain skis but are light enough for touring but not so light as to be unstable etc. The Slights have a rocker/camber/flat tail* profile with a shortish radius. The Superguides have a similar rocker/camber/flat tail* profile but with a longer radius which is better on steeps & less hooky. The Scrappers have a rocker/camber/rocker profile so have more of a softer snow bias and have a bit more tail length than the other too which may/may not hamper kick turns.

*The Slights and Superguides are marketed as having tail rocker but it's only a whisker for ease of billy goating around and in terms of running length (ie skin contact) they're essentially a flat tail. The Superguides are changing next season so there are deals to be had on the last few remaining 19/20 skis wink

The Shifts are great and although they're only a bit lighter than the taller Marker F12 you're not lifting the weight of the frame/heel every stride so are waaaay more efficient. They'd be my recommendation if you're lift served for more than say 50-60% of the time but as Scarlet says you need to watch the din range as the current binding only goes down to 6 but they (I wink) have a 4 din version coming in September.

Once you're doing more than 50% self-propelled I'd go lighter and with a second climbing aid so the Dynafit Radical 2/Rotation, Fritschi Tecton or Marker Kingpin MWerks would be my choice as they're still very good for everyday use. If you have other skis in your quiver for piste or lift served all mtn then stay with the same weight of ski (for stability) but go even lighter with the bindings so look at the Dynafit Superlites, Marker Alpinists, Salomon MTNs or the ATK range.

Perty wrote:
..So...needing to itch the scratch-I've bitten the bullet and ordered new boots (Nordica Strider Women's 115) which has a multifunction sole and pin binding. These should be my go everywhere boots for next winter. (Yes, I know...online, not professionally fitted-but Nordica boots have always worked for me, and the old ones are at least 6 seasons old)......

This is kinda scary as the lasts vary with models etc. AT boots, compared to alpine boots, have to fit properly in two modes, downhill and skinning - ie skinning without rubbing/blisters etc. So if your DIY boot buying then make sure that you are totally satisfied with the fit before you have the bindings drilled for their sole length.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, thanks for the advice-I'll have a good look at the Scott offerings. I had also looked at the Blizzard Zero G. At my height and weight do I need to look at the plus 90mm width versions? A quick scan and the Superguide 88 looks like the right sort of thing even though they are at the narrower end of the spectrum. I guess its as much a matter of personal preference as anything-a turn radius of 17m is bang in my comfort zone and I have managed quite well off-piste on my Brahmas in up to around 12 inches of snow. Is there any material difference between the women's and men's Scott skis (despite my height and weight-I ski what I like, not what I am told I should like). I like a stiff ski... Laughing
As for bindings-I'll need the lower din settings, so will look out for the September launch.

And yes...I agee buying boots online is not to be recommended (A classic case of "don't do as I do, do as I say")..but I'm prepared to take the risk-same last width, same sole length. Would be my 4th pair of Nordica boots in 15 years, and the 2 other occasions when I've been fitted with other brands turned into expensive mistakes! My current boots were an online £150 purchase so I have a positive experience on my side. Very Happy .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, yes but the impression I get is that they are pretty burly. I was probably a bit loose in my terminology - by dedicated touring ski I meant something where weight is at least as important as skiability
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I've been very pleased with some Scott Scrappers I got this season as my touring skis. Light enough for the touring I do (which can involve long days) and very skiable in most conditions

I was out with a (female) guide this winter for a full day tour who was on these. We had a good chat comparing our scott skis, bindings etc. I've skied the Scrappers and really enjoyed them, she's skied the Superguides and really enjoyed them Smile It came down to personal preference for each of us - I don't think there's a wrong answer!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you like the Brahmas take a look at the Blizzard Sheeva range. Female equivalent of the Rustlers
https://www.sport-conrad.com/index.php?cl=search&isSale=0&searchparam=Sheeva
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fixx, I tried the superguides first and really liked them but they only go to 184cm; scrappers come in a 189 which I prefer (but I am 187cm/95kg)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
@fixx, I tried the superguides first and really liked them but they only go to 184cm; scrappers come in a 189 which I prefer (but I am 187cm/95kg)

A 184 Superguide probably skis longer than a 189 Scrapper Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, dunno - I feel like I have more tip in front of me with the scrappers, if that makes any sense. the scrappers certainly have lots more tail rocker
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Superguide and Zero G are light touring ski ranges, not designed for the occasional tourer matched with Shifts and Stryders.

IMHO they aren’t the best suggestions for someone looking for a Brahma equivalent and will ski very differently

My touring experience so far has been one day out with Mr P on hired skis using Marker Frame bindings and my old boots. But I am keen to do more now we have a base in the mountains and options to explore.
I'm not looking for pure touring kit. My much loved Blizzard Brahmas are currently on their way out after damage to the side rail right in the middle next to the alpine binding.
Plan is to team new all mountain skis with Shift bindings
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Perty, Salomon (lumin )qst 92 in 169 cm with shift or tecton , some great deals on this ski in the 19/20 version which is lighter than the new model and a great all-round ski , the 99 is another good choice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy