Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season 2019/20 The best and worst of times

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure this is of little interest but to change the mood a recap of my season; 2019/2020 was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the autumn of hope, it was the spring of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.

The season started, or the summer ended with a 1km vertical rollerski race up the Semnoz from Annecy

le Semnoz, made in la Yaute

down in the valley it was still warm and sunny but at 2000 meters there was a chill in the air

and the Grand Casse had a first dusting of snow as I rode over the new Col de la Loze between Meribel and Courchevel in October

Col de la Loze

winter still hadn't really arrived at the end of October, the high alpine cols were still open for cycling

Col du Mont Ceniso

but that all changed on the 8th November when a stormed dumped enough snow for ski touring

and the season was underway for both Alpine

Les 7 Laux, November 2019

ski touring and Cross country

Chamrousse, November 2019

Vallon de Venetier

It was a winter of making first tracks, more times than I'd imagined

of epic night descents

New Year's eve in the Chartreuse

of early starts

Avalanche control, les 7 laux

of beautiful sunsets

Charmant Som, Chartreuse

of contrasts

le Collet d'Allevard, Pre rond

of new challenges

Chamonix

of discovering new slopes where we had already skied 1000 times before

les 7 laux

of learning to love the gnarr

Les 7 Laux, la Jasse

of revisiting old haunts

Comma Couloir, Chartreuse

but finally coming to a premature end in mid March 2020

Crust skiing, la Chartreuse

Worst of times because although we skied continuously from mid November snow was really lacking below 1500 meters and many of the small ski areas we know and love failed to open this winter.

Around 70 days skiing in total... we'll see if the confinement is lifted before the snow finally melts on 2020.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 28-03-20 19:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent post. Well done sir.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, fascinating post and stunning pics snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, Great post, love it Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very good post @davidof, fabulous record.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent. Thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Super post, I've hiked up Charmant Som (Grand Som too). I suspect if we were still open it would be pretty poor now, no snow really for 3 weeks and warm temperatures too. Snow actually pretty good here while we were open, I managed 53 far more relaxed days.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent.

That's better than most people see in a lifetime
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff! How old’s junior?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
70 ski days! Is your work hiring...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lovely pictures. Smile

My season can be easily summed up in two sentences. Cracking xc. Forgettable alpine. That’s the best and worst.

Although there’s skiing where I live, there’s far better skiing if I get on a plane, which is what I “usually” do. As a “ski-traveller”, 19/20 season, was not a good one.

My first “away” trip was mired first by poor weather and snow condition, then anxiety over canceled flights.

I had a couple of good days.

But to be honest, the skiing fell short of expectation.

Because I had the misfortune to have booked an airline based out of Hong Kong, and the lockdown in China happened in the middle of my trip. Sad Getting on a plane with potentially virus carriers in the early days of the outbreak when very little is known about the virus (only “known” thing about it is it kills hundred in a single day Shocked ) was emotionally draining. Sad

Having survived emotionally of the anguish on my first trip, I was more prepared on my second one. I chose to drive instead of playing the lottery of flying. It’s a very long drive. So I gave up 3 days of skiing (though I missed no good storm so no regret).

I got a few good days but nothing too memorable. (so forgettable I took no pictures except on the day I cross country)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Claude B wrote:
Super post, I've hiked up Charmant Som (Grand Som too). I suspect if we were still open it would be pretty poor now, no snow really for 3 weeks and warm temperatures too. Snow actually pretty good here while we were open, I managed 53 far more relaxed days.

Yes snow is getting a bit thin now around here, it was never great in terms of depth this winter (much better in the Savoie further north). However there is incoming tomorrow, who can resist? We'll see if the gendarmerie is out in force. The problem we had with lack of snow this winter is apart from the ski resorts most roads top out at 1200 meters max, so there was a 300 vertical meter gap to reach skiable snow most of the season and no base when the snow was lower, so ski touring had to take a back seat as I don't have the inclination to travel much.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good post.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A different slant on images to reflect your season, though I'm still hoping that it's not quite the end to our season as we were touring into the second week of May.

First is January, where we did not have a lot of fresh snow, so XC was on the menu a fair bit.

But what I'll always look back on was the amazing November and December before the resort opened and we had great conditions!

One might ask why do I bother with a season pass rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Great stuff! How old’s junior?

he's 15 now. He's not really into off piste.
snow report
Meltus wrote:
70 ski days! Is your work hiring...

they are but to be honest it can be calm or busy, this winter it has been fairly calm work wise. I suspect with the corona virus we'll be lucky to have jobs at all next winter.

Anyway Macron wants us to work a 60 hour week to "relaunch the economy". The recent emergency legislation effectively scrapped the 35 hour week for an indefinite period.

@weathercam I'll have a look at that Strava view if I can access it. I rarely do a full day's sking and some days are just an 1h or 1h30 on snow.
snow conditions
@davidof, that's all I do when skiing piste, that's just a calendar view of a months activity, does not detail daily time unless you click on the activity, just a quick diary reference.
snow conditions
In BC the story's a bit different. From my data, February was truly epic, and there were overall more fresh-tracks powder days in the truncated season than in the previous season. 2019/20 was actually a marginal improvement. The day count was down from the season before that, mind.

I'd not be making any voluntary bets on next season at this point. Probably there will be lots of powder... getting to it may be a bit of a challenge.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy