Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you were to do a season in Canada, where would you go?

Poster: A snowHead
Ciao,

My GF and I are thinking of doing next season in Canada. West coast, maybe interior BC is our preference. She has her visa, I'm waiting for mine.

I work for a TO in a back office role and might be able to transfer my job there for a season, in which case we'd most likely be in Whistler, maybe Banff.

My GF would prefer a smaller resort and likes the look of Fernie or Revelstoke, for which I'd have to quit my job and find one out there. I'd probably lean towards Whistler/Banff if we're going for a season for the lifestyle and for the fact my company would be sorting accom for us which is a big admin faff outsourced.

Does anyone have any sage advice? We've lived in Chamonix for a few years now and are reasonably strong off-piste skiers. I'm sure the skiing at all of the above would suit our needs so just after any personal recommendations really.

This is all on the caveat that next season happens at all obviously!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you interested in touring or purely lift based skiing?

Revelstoke is near the touring mecca of Rogers Pass and the snowpack is more "friendly" as you head West in general.

Banff is much quieter than Whistler in winter. Whistler is as close as you can get to a European alpine resort in North America and I'd imagine it'd take a season to fully explore. Banff has less inbounds but lots of touring nearby although the good stuff isn't always obvious. It has more of a "town" feel than Whistler to me at least.

I prefer Revelstoke to Fernie from a town perspective but Fernie resort is bigger than Revelstoke. Fernie gets more weekend traffic from Calgary.

So for me I'd probably choose Whistler over Banff for a bigger resort but Revelstoke over Fernie for a smaller resort providing I was planning on touring in the pass.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I planned to do a season in Whistler. Scrapped it within a week of getting there based on the price of accommodation and slightly Euro Disney feel to the place.

Bought a camper van and toured BC. Went to Big White, Red, Whitewater, Kimberley, Fernie, Castle and Sunshine. Ended up stopping in Fernie as had the best terrain and sidecountry going. And stopped in Sparwood as super cheap and only a short drive in the morning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When you say you're company would be sorting acomm in Banff or Whistler does that mean they would be paying for it too? If so that's a big plus and would make it hard to not go with one of those places.
If not, then I'd lean towards somewhere smaller like Revelstoke, or Rossland/Red. Nelson/Whitwater would be fun too. I feel like a lot of the locals I met when visiting Revy/Red/Whitewater had a similar story of spending a season in Whistler and not loving it for one reason or another (too busy, too expensive etc), and then being as happy as could be that they moved to the interior.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcs44 wrote:
I feel like a lot of the locals I met when visiting Revy/Red/Whitewater had a similar story of spending a season in Whistler and not loving it for one reason or another (too busy, too expensive etc), and then being as happy as could be that they moved to the interior.

Speaking to a Whistler local when doing my season this was his exact advice. Head east and don’t look back. The resorts of the interior are quieter, cheaper, as much vert and great towns too boot. I love places like Rossland, Nelson and Fernie.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Meltus, be careful about throwing away your job in the current environment. I’m sure you’ll have fun wherever you go with the right attitude!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bigtuboflard wrote:
And stopped in Sparwood as super cheap and only a short drive in the morning.

And not because it has the world's biggest dumper truck? Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

My GF would prefer a smaller resort and likes the look of Fernie or Revelstoke,

fair enough reason to rule out Whistler, but I don't think of Banff as being much bigger than fernie or revelstoke. I guess it depends what your measurement criteria is. All 3 of them will be pretty quiet on an average weekday. Red (Roseland) and whitewater (Nelson) are nice places with smaller ski resorts. If you want somewhere really quiet and small look into castle or maybe even terrace.

If your job is going to provide free accomodation that's a huge positive and definitely something I would want to take advantage of. Seasonal accommodation in ski towns is neither cheap or easy to find.

You can find work in any of the places you mentioned. Most jobs at the hill provide a free pass. I guess it depends what you are willing to do and how much you want to earn. Also time skiing Vs time working.

As said rogers pass is one of the best touring areas in north America. If that's your bag revelstoke is a good choice. There is lots of touring around Banff too, but due to the climate the snowpack is usually more at risk for avalanches, particularly early to mid season. Late season when all the other places are closing Banff has exceptional skiing so if you are looking for the longest season it's another thing to consider.

Out of the places you mentioned Whistler is the only one you could feasibly be walking to the lifts. The other places the ski hill is out of town. For Banff to lake Louise you are talking 30mins+.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:
bigtuboflard wrote:
And stopped in Sparwood as super cheap and only a short drive in the morning.

And not because it has the world's biggest dumper truck? Puzzled Toofy Grin
that was a bonus! To be honest I didn’t know it even existed. The main attraction was the price of the condo...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meltus, If you are using your co. for the accommodation I'd personally head to Banff. Nicer more traditional town rather than Disney. If your TO are providing lodging chances are you'll get a Big3 pass too, or at a discounted rate. I take it you'll be working for them while there ? and have a vehicle for some of the time at least
From Banff its easy to have days away / weekend breaks at - Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Panorama. Castle isn't too far either for a weekend break.

We personally love Rossland/Nelson/Revelstoke both as towns and the ski areas but they aren't for everyone.

Good luck wherever you choose
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I feel like a lot of the locals I met when visiting Revy/Red/Whitewater had a similar story of spending a season in Whistler and not loving it for one reason or another (too busy, too expensive etc), and then being as happy as could be that they moved to the interior.

My first season was in whistler, and since then I've been back every year to the interior. To be honest I would happily go back to Whistler. The only issue is accomodation cost. Most other costs (food, lift pass, transport) are similar to the interior. It can get crowded but so do all the main resorts. Average weekday at Whistler I never really had to queue more than a minute for a lift. Its not somewhere you would call an authentic town (as someone that has spent a lot of time in small authentic towns in Canada I would argue this is a positive!), but neither is Banff really. If that's what you want head to somewhere like Roseland.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me whistler was a bit Disney, when I skied there, really lacks any character (a bit like Dubai). For a long term stay find a real town, Revy, Rossland, golden, Banff, are a better base in my view. Skiing is pretty good in pretty well all of Canada so you are spoilt for choice really. Sensible says stay somewhere on highway one, as it offers easy routes east to west for days out, and further north too. Given the choice between Banff and whistler, Banff fits me better
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. To answer some questions:

I'm a keen tourer, my GF not so much but thats because she's learned to tour in Cham which isn't the most beginner friendly place. I'm sure she's get into it more elsewhere. She's got a mate who did a few seasons in Revy and loved it which has her leaning towards there.

I'm actually not so bothered about a 'disney' feel to Whistler. This will be a one-season job for me so I just want to have fun and enjoy hopefully skiing powder more often than this season! (tbf the previous 2 in cham were amazing). I'm used to living in a big, expensive, tourist town having been in Cham for a while.

Company would provide accom and lift pass through a salary sacrifice scheme. However, the main bonus is that my GF would only have to pay 1/6 of the rent, rather than half. Also the salary sacrifice is the same whether you're in Andorra or Canada so I think I'd come out on top. This is dependent on being allowed to transfer which isn't a given. Could always go for the rep job out there but that would mean a pay cut and dealing with the public....Blergh!

Probably wouldn't have a car unfortunately, unless we bought one out there off our own backs Sad This seems like a big disadvantage and something worthy of further investigation.

Lots of good feedback one way or the other so thanks everyone. I know jacking in my job isn't necessarily a good idea but its been on the cards for a while. I'm getting to the age where for Canada its now or never. Also, who knows when the travel industry will recover so they might get rid of me anyway. I'm happy to work a season doing whatever (just the one though...)

From the sounds of it, I'm sure we'd have a good time wherever. I'd like somewhere with a bit of life so I can drink some Canadian beer, watch some hockey, ride a moose, bath in maple syrup all the traditional stuff. I've never been to Canada before so I'd like to treat it as a bit of a holiday as well.

Anyway, lots of variables still to be decided the first of which is whether my Visa comes in any time soon. I imagine the visa office isn't considered an essential service...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wish I had your dilemma @Meltus! If you do end up in Whistler I’d still look at getting a cheap car and sell it on at the end of the season. Not having your own transport in Canada would be pretty crap IMO. You could get by in Whistler itself but you’d be missing out on so much and not get to see beyond the edge of town. Depending on how much time you have off you could conceivably do road trips to a number of resorts from there, and at the end of your season take a week to do Vancouver Island.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've not "spent a season" in Whistler, but it's the one place where you don't really need a car, as the local buses really do run all hours; parking is tricky; you can't drink and drive. Yes, yes, I do know where the free parking lots are, but even so I'd not bother with a car.

Next season may not be the easiest for this sort of thing. I would probably go to the big expensive tourist towns. Small-town BC can be a bit bleak. That said if you know someone who knows Revelstoke then you know what to expect at least. Those places can be done without a car but it work a lot better with one.

Another option is heli operators, who now and then have Brits on staff.
latest report
The main issue in Canada for some time has been finding long termaccommodation. Banff is basically a no go unless you get something in conjunction with a job because it's in a National Park. Whistler is very difficult and even the smaller real towns like Fernie, Nelson, Rossland and Revy have plenty of ski bums/ aussie workers after the same housing. I spent 2 winters in Fernie and there is basically a pretty good core ski/board bum scene and even established hitching spots to/from the hill. I imagine the other places are similar.
latest report
Quote:

For me whistler was a bit Disney, when I skied there, really lacks any character (a bit like Dubai). For a long term stay find a real town, Revy, Rossland, golden, Banff, are a better base in my view.

As someone that has done multiple seasons in golden and a season in Whistler, I would say Whistler has far more character and atmosphere. Golden is a typical little railway town full of slednecks, and lacking much to do other than ski. Whistler has so many events, activities, nightlife, restaurants etc. Dubai comparison is probably not wrong, but most people would rather be in Dubai than somewhere like golden.

Quote:

Not having your own transport in Canada would be pretty crap IMO.

I agree having a car is a big bonus. I wouldn't necessarily say not having a car is pretty crap though. You can get most places with public transport and rideshare apps are becoming more popular too. Banff, revy, and fernie all have shuttles to get you to and from town and the lifts. Whistler has buses but you can just walk if staying in the village. Some of it is personal preference, but if I was working I definitely would want to maximise my days off skiing rather than driving to some non-skiing sights anyway.
snow conditions
Swerve Canada.

Jackson Hole.
ski holidays
@Meltus, having been to both Banff and Whistler I absolutely had to do a season in Whistler. It's just what I was looking for in terms of terrain, atmosphere and food/ beer. BUT for the life of me I just couldn't find any reasonable accom and gave up. I ended up booking in Cham for 20/21 though I still think about Whistler and will return for a 2 week trip again. Banff was great but the food wasn't as good and it was pretty dead during the week, plus for a season I'd probably rent a car. There are some deals if booked well in advanced. For a season its a win win for both resorts but if you can get a place to stay in Whistler then I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
snow report
^ Stay in the hostel in Whistler Olympic village.
ski holidays
Sounds like you will have a great time, if you get there this winter.
I've never been to Whistler.

I've stopped in Banff a coupe of times and loved it, I've been to Golden (Kicking Horse) a couple of times too, but there is not much going on there.

I've spent a couple of days in Revelstoke, and I loved it.
But its a very small ski resort ... like most of the ones mentioned earlier.
Revelstoke was a great small town with limited but very vibrant night life.
I liked the vibe there a lot.
You've got to do some ice fishing while your there.
ski holidays
Never done a season - much too old for that - but skied both Whistler and Fernie this season. I'd choose Fernie out of the two but I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go.

Whistler is awesome, but I've always had the privilege of doing it in luxury; I go there almsot as much for the hotel as the skiing. On the downside, prices are sky high (like $10/pint for beer) so it's not a great place to be enjoying the nightlife every night unless you're loaded. Queues are a massive problem. Like most resorts, it's common for the Alpine to be closed due to wind; when that happens, the queues can be extraordinary. Bluebird days bring out the crowds, too. We had several days of 30+ minute queues for almost every open lift in Blackcomb this year - not a problem for us as we had an instructor and could skip the lines, but the general punters looked pretty fed up. And the crowds mean the powder gets skied out in minutes; if you're working there, you'll often find there's nothing left by the time you quit the office.

Fernie's skiing is the equal (I would say the better) of Whistler, but the crowds aren't there. If it snows on Monday but you're working, there will still be fresh tracks to be had on Tuesday, Wednesday and probably even Thursday. The powder is lighter as it's so far inland with low humidity and frigid temperatures. And you'll be able to afford a celebratory glass of amber nectar at the end of the day. What's not to like?
snow report
Have skied in Banff, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke as part of a 1 1/2 week trip.

If I was going to do a season, and mainly sticking to piste, I'd go to Banff.

If I was going to get in to touring etc, I'd be picking Revelstoke.

I'm not sure i'd do a season in Kicking Horse, but if it was my only option, i'd be going ahead with it, no doubt.

They're all within a few hours drive so you could always day trip for a change of scenery from time to time.
latest report
I think it really depends how you like to spend your time and whether you are after an authentic Canadian experience or not.

Banff provides the option of several ski areas, but most of them at a drive and I think not having a car would be restrictive. Accomodation can be a bit of a struggle in Banff

I like most of the interior resorts, although still haven't made it to them all. Fernie is a bit of a mining town as it serves the Teck met coal Elk Valley in and around Sparwood. So there is local wealth and employment separately from any tourism. Some of those interior towns have hockey teams etc. and a bit more of a local, authentic vibe. Authentic vibe, really may not be what you want though. Do you want a town with sking or a resort with only tourists?
latest report
Quote:

If I was going to get in to touring etc, I'd be picking Revelstoke.

Golden is arguably better option if touring is the primary motivation. Similar distance to Rogers pass as revelstoke but way closer to icefields parkway. Kicking horse slack country is also pretty great (ozone north - rudis north - molars north - repeater ridge is a classic day, T2.5 and T3 laps are fun, clamshell, canyon creek).

Quote:

Do you want a town with sking or a resort with only tourists?

It's not that black and white though. The small towns get their fair share of tourists too, and plenty of people there are foreigners just for the season. Most of the lifties in Canada seem to be Australians on their 2 year visas. Of course you will see more tourists in Whistler and less in smaller places. Unless you go to somewhere like terrace there are going to be plenty of tourists at any ski resort town.

Quote:

Fernie's skiing is the equal (I would say the better) of Whistler

You would be in the minority. Fernie is good, but can't compete with Whistler purely from a skiing point of view.
ski holidays
@boarder2020, There is a different vibe in places that are real towns compared with only tourist centres. Sure these towns still have load of ski bums, but they also have other stuff going on.
latest report
I agree they are different. Im just trying to paint a picture for the OP. For instance if OP thinks revelstoke is some quaint little town in the Rockies full of locals, they may be disappointed when most of the staff are Aussies and half of Calgary turns up at the weekend. There are a few remote places like terrace where you can get that kind of experience though.

Quote:

Authentic vibe, really may not be what you want though.

There's a lot of truth in this. The average "authentic" Canadian town is not particularly interesting and can be quite boring for a lot of people. You are talking about places with less than 10,000 people so there's not going to be a whole lot. If your lucky you might have a hockey team, a bar doing wings Wednesday, and a live band on a Saturday night. On the other hand at somewhere like Whistler there is always events going on: film festival, bobsleigh competitions, music concerts, ski competitions etc.

Depends how much entertainment you need. For me personally, I'm just interested in the snowboarding so somewhere like golden is fine. But I have many friends who would be pretty disappointed being stuck in golden for an extended period of time.
snow report
i spent 2 months in whistler a long time ago (although it feels like yesterday Crying or Very sad ).

We stayed in creekside as it was a lot cheaper. There was more than enough to do in resort without needing to go elsewhere (although hiring a car for a weekend trip isn't a bad idea). The nice thing about skiing in canada is they have a lot of capacity for lunchtime picnics so you don't have to spend as much as you think.

One of my happiest memories is a lunchtime trip to the supermarket and riding home on the dave murray downhill with a rucksack full of groceries. What a way to do the weekly shop Very Happy

You will have a whale of a time wherever you go!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Plagne
latest report
I did two seasons at Kicking Horse in the early days (Years 2 & 3).

Never got bored with the skiing or the town.

Alberta resorts, southern BC resorts and even US resorts (Montana, Idaho) all within reasonable driving distances from day to long weekend road trips.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've done multiple seasons there too, so I by no means dislike the place. If you are looking for a lively town with lots of nightlife, events, and entertainment it might be boring though. As I said depends how much of that stuff you want/need.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I've done multiple seasons there too, so I by no means dislike the place. If you are looking for a lively town with lots of nightlife, events, and entertainment it might be boring though. As I said depends how much of that stuff you want/need.

That's what Calgary is for Smile
ski holidays
3 hour drive to then be stuck with a bunch of Albertans talking about how much money they make, oil/pipeline, and being racist to first nations.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
3 hour drive to then be stuck with a bunch of Albertans talking about how much money they make, oil/pipeline, and being racist to first nations.

That wasn't my experience.

Road trip to Whitefish then Wink
snow report
Banff - Why?
Because as others have already said Whistler is too busy, it was to busy in 98/99 when I did a season there, it's much worse now and the wages vs prices is 2.5x worse than it was then (and it was tough to make ends meet for me).
Banff you have Sunshine Village, Lake Louise and Norquay to ski/work at, or just ski them and work in Banff.
I did a season 04/05 in Banff it was completly different to Whistler, everything was better except the number of powder days - but they were uncrowded and the snow stays good for weeks (if you walk to find it).
Make sure you have wheels - as @Mike Pow, has mentioned, Roadtrips are a thing and there are so many possibilities. You will descover a size difference though. Imagine an area the size alps but with only the population of Geneva........and that includes Calgary....people are spread very thin.
Enjoy
snow report
Epic pass for next season £800 includes unlimited days at Whistler, plus free days at a number of resorts if OP wanted to travel around a bit. Big 3 (sunshine, lake Louise, Norway) lift pass was £1370 last season and got you zero free days at other resorts. Quite a substantial saving, of course some of that would go towards expensive Whistler accomodation, but Banff is not exactly cheap either. Cost of living is similar in Banff and Whistler imo, I don't think Banff has anything like el furnies at Whistler ($5 meals).

Also a big downside for me is the travel. Banff to lake Louise you are looking at over 30mins driving each way. If you plan to work in Banff how realistic is it to go for a few laps before/after work? Whistler on the other hand the lifts are right there, you could even get a few laps during your lunch hour.

Not saying there are not strengths to Banff too, but saying "everything is better" is not realistic.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy