Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storage wax

Poster: A snowHead
A skiing post to break up the theme.

Is there any point putting storage wax on skis that were prepped ready to ski but never got skied? They will be kept in our study until next use, other than one pair I will use indoors with some Polar X wax going on those. I should just be able to put the others away until we can ski again shouldn't I? They were transported in a roofbox and never got wet, there's 5 pairs so I'd rather not have to do anything!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@endoman, I was thinking that last week, as had prepped everything but it was not used, but layered a load of storage wax on them anyway at the weekend, took my mind off everything else going on, bit of therapy really.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, plenty therapy needed at the moment! There's no down side, and possibly benefits.

My lad did comment that his nicely waxed skis were not good ( grabby) on the boxes in the park, anyone else noticed that? He'd skied maybe an hour on them before going in the park. Mine with same wax and no desire to ski over furniture were perfect,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@endoman, they'll be fine if being stored as you say.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can confirm that when you don’t bother to wax your skis for a while, precisely nothing* happens to them.

*if you store your skis in a swimming pool, this may not be the case Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
@endoman, they'll be fine if being stored as you say.

Thanks Jon
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
endoman wrote:

My lad did comment that his nicely waxed skis were not good ( grabby) on the boxes in the park, anyone else noticed that?

I think it's more a function of the boxes than the ski / wax.
When it's dry overnight, the natural wood boxes like in the Stash are grippy as, early doors.
You can pile a load of snow on them and then go back 15 minutes later when it's melted a bit, or let a few people ride them first.
The plastic and steel ones can also be grippy after a dry night, but IME less so ( maybe because they don't have a grain ).

In the same way that different waxes respond differently with different humidity and temperature, so does park furniture.

I think it's unlikely that the board wax rendered the boxes sticky, unless you were using the Toko GripMaster 3000 (formulated with synthetic Grabulex, for long lasting hold).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Question... is there actually any benefit of 'storage wax' or is this just an urban myth to sell more wax / a lie that folk tell their partners to permit a summer's afternoon isolation in the garage with beer and tunes, away from whinging ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dp wrote:
Question... is there actually any benefit of 'storage wax' or is this just an urban myth to sell more wax / a lie that folk tell their partners to permit a summer's afternoon isolation in the garage with beer and tunes, away from whinging ?

Yes, to both.

Unless you're racing then storage wax is really needed if your skis are going to be stored in loft spaces where it can get damned hot in the summer and I've seen bases dry out and contract away from the edges etc. Storage in damp basements/garages/sheds is more of an edge ruster than base harmer. Prop 'em up in the corner of the spare bedroom at a nice steady ambient temperature and all will be well. No need to slack off the binding dins and alpine heels left open. Tech toe bindings should be left closed. And don't compress the ski camber with straps etc.

But is it actually better for the bases to keep them waxed up? Well theoretically yes it is but any loss of 'condition' when stored (correctly) will be rectified when the skis are next waxed. If you are applying wax for storage it'll make life a lot easier down the line if you edge the skis and do any base repairs prior to applying the wax.

DIY tuning/servicing is also a fun hobby (and that's also great for keeping you away from your 'loved' ones) so many people like doing the full monty ie, edges, repairs, hot scrape clean, a base prep wax (or two) & final wax (or tow or three) and then the wax on for storage so only scraping'n'brushing is required for the next trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I store mine down the middle of the bed. It's the only way to prevent midnight duvet theft.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon "any loss of 'condition' when stored (correctly) will be rectified when the skis are next waxed" is actually not true Wink If you leave skis unwaxed, sooner or later (it's actually sooner) ptex gets filled with dirt, and is not able to accept new wax anymore. So when you wax skis next time, wax doesn't go where it should go, and stays on top, where it's scrapped and brushed off, which basically means you didn't wax at all. Only option to get this right is with stone grinding.
Now how much this matters for someone skiing 10 days a year is another question. I admit that with my ski preparation background (quite few years on World cup), I'm a bit obsessed with how skis should be handled, and even now, my skis get storage/transport wax even during season if I'm not skiing next day (if I do, I just wax them).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@primoz, I said when stored "correctly" - by that I mean not susceptible to dirt etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
@primoz, I said when stored "correctly" - by that I mean not susceptible to dirt etc.

Can that be in a ski bag (standing up)?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I'm going to have ooodles of spare time and have all the stuff then I think weekly waxing is in order !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep. It's commen sense really.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
many people like doing the full monty ie, edges, repairs, hot scrape clean, a base prep wax (or two) & final wax (or tow or three) and then the wax on for storage so only scraping'n'brushing is required for the next trip.

For me this is it. It not's not storage wax as such. You just miss off the final scrape and brush until near the time of usage. Means that a) the skis don't gather any rust or dirt/dust over the storage period b) you don't use up valuable planning/packing time just before the holiday (there are plenty of others to do).
snow report
My skis are serviced and in storage under the bed. If, when I finally get to use them, I don't scrape and brush them first but just ski on them, how different will they feel? Will the storage wax wear off within a few runs?
snow report
@blueski2, as I understand it they may not glide or edge right for a short time but will wear off reasonably quickly.

But hopefully someone will come along with something more scientific.
snow report
@blueski2, similarly the verdict I've heard most is that if you don't scrape, the first few runs of the day will basically scrape for you.

It's tempting actually... seeing that on any trip my first 3 or 4 runs will be dire anyway whilst I remember how to ski, maybe I can save myself a lot of mess and hassle by just leaving the wax on
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:

DIY tuning/servicing is also a fun hobby (and that's also great for keeping you away from your 'loved' ones) so many people like doing the full monty ie, edges, repairs, hot scrape clean, a base prep wax (or two) & final wax (or tow or three) and then the wax on for storage so only scraping'n'brushing is required for the next trip.

This is certainly why I home service. It's partly because it is, on the whole, less faff than having them done elsewhere. And cheaper. And it's partly because, upon arrival in resort, I'd rather be on the beers than taking my skis in for service. But it's mostly because skiing is a hobby for me and skiing as a term is all inclusive. It's all fun. A day spent doing my skis is a day spent doing my hobby, even if it's not actually on the hill.
ski holidays
The idea is to remove the wax so the ski glides otherwise why bother with it at all .
This as DP suggests why you home service...It's partly because it is, on the whole, less faff than having them done elsewhere....100% true

So just scrape the storage wax off and green scotchpad any of the residue storage wax by hand .

If you cant manage that for whatever reason get someone who can or pay to get them scraped the right temp or all temp wax applied in resort.

The worst part is cleaning up the mess and holding the equipment/ski/board fast .... scraping wax is not differcult .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy