Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden - advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So in a change from everything Corona, I'd like to talk about skiing!

After a fair amount of searching for the right accommodation and deliberating, we have decided to head to Solden for my stag due next year. We are doing 4 nights with 3 days skiing.

The place seems to be pretty divisive on here for different reasons. And is also doesn't seem to get talked about much. So I'm just looking for a few tips and advice from people who have been there before. I ticks a lot of boxes for us stag wise. Not France, reasonably easy to get to, decent ski area with something for everyone, good apres.

We've found a good apartment that is actually big enough for 11 adults right on the run and a short ski away from the Giggijoch lift. A quick look at googlemaps seems to suggest that there are a lot of the "bigger" bars and clubs at this end of town so I'm hoping we've picked the right lift to base ourselves at?

Am I right in thinking there is also a beginner's area at the top of the Giggijoch, as a few of the group may have lessons in the mornings before joining in the rest of the run in the afternoon.

We are looking to in March, and from what I've read the snow at this time shouldn't be an issue at all. We are looking for decent on piste conditions and hopefully sunny days!

Cost-wise, what are we looking at for a beer on the mountain/in town? Similar to somewhere like Saalbach or more like the 3V?

Haven't decided which airport yet, either Innsbruck or Munich so any recommendations for a decent transfer company would be muchly appreciated!

Cheers all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Soldin is a cracking place!

Gets expensive when drinking heavy every night but would say similar to Saalbach maybe a touch more expensive. We mostly frequented Schrimbar then onto Fire & Ice which is at the bottom of Giggijochbahn lift. The skiing is great off-piste good though not enough snow when we went. Innsbruck was an easy transfer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Giggijoch is a good choice for beginner teaching. You are absolutely spot on.

I would fly to Innsbruck as Munich is doable but too far. Worth paying an extra £50 for imo.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andybomb1 wrote:
Giggijoch is a good choice for beginner teaching. You are absolutely spot on.

I would fly to Innsbruck as Munich is doable but too far. Worth paying an extra £50 for imo.

I was thinking Munich for two reasons:

Innsbrucks tendency to be shut in bad weather - complete gamble, but as we are only there for 3 days skiing we wouldn't want to risk losing a day. And more flexible flights.
Stupidly cheap car hire from Munich - £93 for a Ford Kuga (or similar size car) from Munich vs £300 plus for the same style of car from Innsbruck.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Giggijoch for beginners.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some people really dislike Solden and talk about the main road like it's the A40 in London but I think it's a decent resort. I've gone there with my son so I'm no help Apres wise but the skiing is decent ((we were there in April). Price wise I'd say noticeably cheaper than France but on mountain food isn't bargain basement.

We fly to Munich and the drive is nice and easy, we stopped in Innsbruck for food and supermarket shopping.
Hope you have an excellent time
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
grumpygargoyle wrote:
Some people really dislike Solden and talk about the main road like it's the A40 in London but I think it's a decent resort. I've gone there with my son so I'm no help Apres wise but the skiing is decent ((we were there in April). Price wise I'd say noticeably cheaper than France but on mountain food isn't bargain basement.

We fly to Munich and the drive is nice and easy, we stopped in Innsbruck for food and supermarket shopping.
Hope you have an excellent time

Thanks for the thoughts
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thought is was a good resort. Predictable snow, vast area, and a lot of apres. Was in resort for New Year and really enjoyed it. Price for beer on the mountain was 4-5 Euros. Enjoyed the Friday afternoon DJ at the top of the Giggijoch. Went to Fire/Ice, thought it was fun but a bit overpriced, there are other bars around which we enjoyed, all quite reasonable. KuckKubck at the bottm of Giggijoch was fun in the afternoon. Schirmbar was worth a visit and reasonable.
Because of the through traffic up to Hochgurgl/Obergurgl it gets busy in the morning and evening, but it passes through fairly quickly. Found Restaurants quite reasonable in comparison to other Austrian resorts.......so I think you'll have a great time. I drove, so can' really comment on flying in, but Innsbruck would be an hours transfer, Munich maybe another 90 minutes on top.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I was on a coach transferring to Obergurgl I had a negative impression of Soelden based largely on the "dancing girls" club on the left side with it's massive advertising (w)hording. We've travelled independently since and realise now what a great place it is - so much more to it than the B186.
The absolute beginner area is at Innerwald, accessed by the free funicular.
At Giggijoch there is a button lift that the ski schools use which takes you about 200m up on Giggijoch. Other than that part of the slope I'd say those slopes (13 and 15) can be intimidating for beginners...fine at the top but the final 400m would be red in most other places.
If your inexperienced skiers are really struggling it's 20 mins on the bus to Hochgurgl.
Not sure what you mean by your hotel being a "short ski away from Giggijoch"...
Beers etc aren't overly expensive perhaps on the cheaper end (5 Euro for halb litre) There are expensive restaurants but also good value ones, and a kebab/pizza cafe/takeaway if you want. The Guinness pub will get you food from it's adjoining Italian restaurant (just ask) and is very good value for money.
Kuk kuk is good. We like the laid back 80's/rock vibe in the Moet bar for relaxed apres. More energetic Apres can be found at the top of Giggi, and bottom of Gais..
All in all - I'd say go for it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Solden is pretty perfect for what you're looking for. My only reservation about fly-drive from Munich is when you might be hitting the roads. If you can avoid rush hour around Munich and avoid Saturday tourist traffic getting in and out of Austria then its an easy drive. Giggijoch is good for beginners and the blues on the glacier are good for not quite beginners finding their ski legs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depending on your flight times - the train from Munich is doable (change in Innsbruck). Managed to persuade ticket office to mind our skis (too big for lockers) and nip to the Hofbrauhaus for a couple of Steins before a nice scenic trip in the buffet car (and perhaps a glass of wine or two). Trains really cheap if you book early - only two of us so costed in versus hire car and much more relaxing for the driver Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Fridge03, it’s a long way from Munich. I have driven it once with the family. Would depend on the flight times.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wink It's close to Munich, I often drive to Sölden, albeit alone. I avoid the need for a vignette and often stop on the Fern Pass for a Rosti. Depending on how late the flight gets in you can get stuck in Munich traffic a bit. Depending on the flight arrival time I'll either drive straight there, or maybe stop around the border for a night on the way down.

The folk-dancing adverts are a bit weird, although in truth you'll find the same entertainment in many small BC towns too. The smoking has been my main problem with the whole place in recent years, although I hear they may have finally addressed it. There are some decent fancy hotels in Sölden. I'm not into dancing on tables, but that stuff exists although it's easy to avoid. Sure, the road runs through it... but you can always stay on the other side of the river if you want somewhere quieter.

I usually visit late April/ early May - the glaciers are always fine, sometimes you can ride much lower down. No idea about the beginner/ getting ratted facilities I'm afraid, but I'm sure they exist.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gbium wrote:
Depending on your flight times - the train from Munich is doable (change in Innsbruck). Managed to persuade ticket office to mind our skis (too big for lockers) and nip to the Hofbrauhaus for a couple of Steins before a nice scenic trip in the buffet car (and perhaps a glass of wine or two). Trains really cheap if you book early - only two of us so costed in versus hire car and much more relaxing for the driver Happy

I enjoy transfer by train but I wouldn't do it again to Solden. The connections from Munich airport are ok, but once you arrive at Otztal railway station, it's a choice of an expensive taxi or a an infrequent public bus (crowded and slow and a bit of a nightmare with skis etc!). My choice would be fly to Innsbruck and then take the Otztal shuttle - good value and efficient to the door service.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LOTA wrote:
gbium wrote:

I enjoy transfer by train but I wouldn't do it again to Solden. The connections from Munich airport are ok, but once you arrive at Otztal railway station, it's a choice of an expensive taxi or a an infrequent public bus (crowded and slow and a bit of a nightmare with skis etc!). My choice would be fly to Innsbruck and then take the Otztal shuttle - good value and efficient to the door service.

Probably depends on when you arrive - we were virtually the only ones on the bus (midweek arrival) - so much so that my mate's bag with passport / iPad etc was still on the bus on its first trip down the valley next morning Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gbium wrote:
LOTA wrote:
gbium wrote:

Probably depends on when you arrive - we were virtually the only ones on the bus (midweek arrival) - so much so that my mate's bag with passport / iPad etc was still on the bus on its first trip down the valley next morning Happy

Very Happy Yes, I was midweek too, but the bus was full of schoolkids (Austrian schools keep strange times!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy