Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carv - "on it" with debugging - great

Poster: A snowHead
I have followed the Carv story with interest - the product concept is great.

Finally decided to buy them to try as an xmas pressie for me.

Problem is that the app doesn't work with a Samsung phone, despite their claims that their android app now works.

So a very expensive pair of sole thickeners.

Shame.

Now have just got to try to get a refund out of them.

**** see update below - very quick to solve problems ****

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-01-20 19:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annoying for you and I hope you get your refund, but that's a hardware connectivity/compatibility problem rather than an issue with the product itself.

I've not tried it, but I do know that Carv are actively testing/reviewing their product in the Alps at the moment (there was a test at Axamer Lizum a few days ago) and they will pay you to take part (based on mileage and writing a review, I think) if you can find a test in your vicinity. I didn't try it because they specified that your boot needed to be mondo 25 or larger. Also, you'd have to be working pretty hard and lucky with the lift queue at Lizum to make the max €90 for 50km, the runs just aren't long enough to clock up that sort of distance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
Annoying for you and I hope you get your refund, but that's a hardware connectivity/compatibility problem rather than an issue with the product itself.

I've not tried it, but I do know that Carv are actively testing/reviewing their product in the Alps at the moment (there was a test at Axamer Lizum a few days ago) and they will pay you to take part (based on mileage and writing a review, I think) if you can find a test in your vicinity. I didn't try it because they specified that your boot needed to be mondo 25 or larger. Also, you'd have to be working pretty hard and lucky with the lift queue at Lizum to make the max €90 for 50km, the runs just aren't long enough to clock up that sort of distance.

Disagree about it being a connectivity issue - Carv should have tested it on common Samsung phones running android.

When the app won't even open it suggests a serious failure in testing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ChrisKernow wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

Disagree about it being a connectivity issue - Carv should have tested it on common Samsung phones running android.

When the app won't even open it suggests a serious failure in testing.

Which version of android?
Have you given feedback on the Play store yet?
They are fairly prompt to respond

From their FAQs
Is Carv compatible with my phone?
Jamie Salter avatar
Written by Jamie Salter
Updated over a week ago

iPhone: Carv requires the iPhone 6 or newer to run, with a minimum of iOS 12 installed, though we recommend using the most up to date version of iOS.

Android: The Android version of the Carv app is due to be released on the 20th December 2019, and will be compatible with all versions of the Carv hardware. It will require a minimum of Android 6.0 to run.

Other devices: Carv requires GPS service, a motion sensor and a barometer in order to operate correctly. Some other Apple products such as more recent iPads may contain these features and thus would be able to run Carv, but we do not guarantee compatibility between any devices other than those specified explicitly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just bought Carv, and own a Samsung phone.
I was able to set up the sensors (pair, motion calibration, force calibration), but haven't tried it on the slopes yet. Would be very disappointed if it fails!
What exactly is not working in the app for you?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The app crashes as soon as it is opened.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only paired ours "in house" and not on Samsung (just cheap Chinese copies) but all went well. Looking forward to testing them on the slopes.
Pairing won't work unless you've fully charged the units - we had hiccups that further charging alleviated.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 31-12-19 21:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChrisKernow wrote:
The app crashes as soon as it is opened.

Not normal - 2/2 it didn't
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:

Waving to Carv if they are listening - we're going to be in the Superskicard area for a couple of months - 2 dodgy intermediates who ski solo (hence the investment in your product) - give us a shout if you want feedback - no strings, happy to help.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the same issue after reinstalling the app as it seems a few others do on the play store reviews.
there is apparently an update coming out shortly to address this
it would be worth emailing team@getcarv.com with your phone model/OS details to confirm the update's applicability.
the advice is keep the app on phone and update when prompted/available
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
new App update has worked
App opens, registers etc. just need to fit/calibrate insoles when able to

@ChrisKernow any luck post-update with your device?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi guys,

Firstly, a massive apology from our team for the shaky Android start that users with certain phone modes have been experiencing. We are a small team and have been working hard throughout the holidays to fix these compatibility issues.

As you may know, Android is a very fragmented hardware market and Carv uses many critical interfaces in the phone (gps, Bluetooth, data etc) which has made the Android launch more complex than iOS. It has however got our full focus and we are releasing new versions almost daily with these issues resolved as a priority.

Please make sure you are downloading the latest version when it is posted as an update.

If you are don’t want to hold on for a few more days until we’ve cleaned out these bugs, we will of course offer a refund - just use the contact form on our site and the team will look after you.

Thank you for your patience and if you have had an issue please report the bug by swiping left with two fingers to trigger a big report to our dev, or get in touch using the website.

PS. After speaking to our users over the summer we’ve added lots of new, exciting features into the app this year and just had 5* review / ‘Best Buy’ rating from Expert Reviews - so please bear with us and you’ll have a great ski coach for your winter’s skiing Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Team Carv, Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What would be more interesting is some longer term testing from snowheads (I appreciate that if you can't even install the software then that is difficult). You would imagine that Samsung would be a priority platform though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Google Play is slammed with 1-star reviews, the past week.

Launching a skitech app -- before the tech is market-ready -- is reckless mismanagement.

Yall need to start firing some folks.
ski holidays
SBP wrote:

Well yes. I have been very impressed with the Carv teams commitment to debugging, and happily report that it works now.
ski holidays
Used it a few times now. Still a bit buggy with the Bluetooth connect/reconnect which I suspect may be due to the dual gps on my phone, and I believe, they are working on a fix for.
Great feedback from the team - I would expect any issues to be resolved based on their responses so far.
On piste - so far, I've only used "free" ski guiding, but the coaching has been consistent with what I know of my faults so it seems to be pretty accurate.
latest report
That's great to hear @Scamper. Thanks for your patience and we look forward to seeing you tearing up the leaderboard soon!

RE: a ski testing group on Snowheads - it's a great idea - we actually have something similar in Facebook - search Carv Development Community and make an application to join if you own Carv. You'll be greeted with open arms Smile

RE: tech readiness... Carv is very complicated to build, we have a small team and went out to bat with quite an ambitious agenda this year (new video content, the first interactive ski drills, rebuilding the data science engine and finally android). It's been a lot to get out the door in a very short user season and we just hope the teething issues won't detract from the future of the product! Toofy Grin
snow report
ChrisKernow wrote:
SBP wrote:

Well yes. I have been very impressed with the Carv teams commitment to debugging, and happily report that it works now.

Maybe change the title of the thread to reflect the new situ.

I have no skin in the game as I am have no association with the product but I wouldn't want people to google it and see that... assuming of course it's no longer reflective... which is what it sounds like.
latest report
Good idea, we'd also def appreciate that as these things can come through in search even a year later and provide a confusing experience down the line for next year's skiers
snow report
@Layne, while I remain skeptical, because that’s me, I think changing the title would be a friendly thing to do.

And skepticism aside, given that one’s only interface /control surface of the ski is the sole of the boot ... with a sufficiently good / well trained machine, hmmm, why ever not?
ski holidays
Agree - good call, Layne.

Although the interface between sensor receiver and phone isn't yet working well the sensors in my boots aren't telling lies about how I ski!
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
ChrisKernow wrote:
SBP wrote:

Maybe change the title of the thread to reflect the new situ.

I have no skin in the game as I am have no association with the product but I wouldn't want people to google it and see that... assuming of course it's no longer reflective... which is what it sounds like.

Done, good call.
ski holidays
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

PS. if anyone has any Carv queries please message us directly using our website/ app or facebook messenger. We monitor those every day and will be able to fix your issues asap.
ski holidays
Been grinding the piste for the last couple of days and have no issues with the hard/software just operator error... but I guess that is why I am using it.
It is a useful for concentrating the mind although the encouragement phraseology cracks me up as it sounds like an xrtanormal animation, might need a bit work on that...
Good work.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 27-02-20 18:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Super Steezy, Is it helping?
snow conditions
We've been using ours since Jan.
We've found them beneficial in terms of the hints, feedback and analytics.
The problem has been the app itself working on our phones. (Mi5s and Mi8) - it only seems to record one run so I've ended up stopping it after each one and restarting when I get off the next lift.
If you are considering buying Carv check it works ok on your own (Android) phone.
I have no doubt they'll get there in the end and these are just teething problems but if you are only using it for a week you may as well wait for the improved functionality.
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Not advancing past level 20of20 on balance although it was a complete white out this morning and getting 16 out of 20 turns would be a huge advance for me.
The continued instruction on being too far forward or on the heal or in the back seat is excellent.
So yes it is helping but not enough to get me on the hill this afternoon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW if it possible for an Apple owner to be more smug it has worked seamlessly on my iPhone thus far
snow conditions
Super Steezy wrote:
BTW if it possible for an Apple owner to be more smug it has worked seamlessly on my iPhone thus far

Yeah, the Apple one seems to be the kiddie, Laughing
snow report
Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad it's been working as designed (for almost everyone). We've been swotting Android bugs at a rate of knots since launch, but unfortunately Corona has hit our season hard so you might not get to try those improvements until next year. None the less, we're very excited to go into next year with a summer for development and product improvement so we can hit next winter with a run-up.

Re: the robo-esque voice - its something we have much internal debate over as you can imagine Laughing . We are reliant on Apple/google's native voice packs for the tone of voice, but if you can upgrade your voice pack (in iOS this is done using Settings > voice > Speech) then try out 'Ava' as your Siri voice - which has the best pack for human-realism. Re: the tongue in cheek encouragement phrases - maybe we'll keep those in as a small trace of british ironic humour now we are reaching more of the global market Wink

Hope you all haven't missed too much skiing in the last few weeks and are keep the buzz for next season while we all wait out Corona in our homes.

Alex
ski holidays
Team Carv wrote:
Hi guys

Thanks for the update Alex.

I posted my initial thoughts about Carv back in March which seems like a age ago now with everything going on. I had intended to give a follow up post after a second week on snow.

Unfortunately that ended up being only one and a half days due to the shutdown across Italy. My final thoughts will now have to wait till next season.

Link to the other post may help some people:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3547874&highlight=carv+digital#3547874
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy