Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian resort with a non skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With no more sking this year - thinking ahead to 2021 season. We are looking for a good resort to go with another family, one of whom doesn't ski. They have 2 young children who are beginners. So we need somewhere that you can reach some of the lunchtime restaurants on foot. Good ski school, again that a non skier can get to. Also would be nice to have a place with good walking trails etc. I had thought about Sauze D'oulx and La Thuile, but am also considering Pila which we have never been to. I liked the idea that the non skier could get the gondola down into Aosta. Would Pila have enough for the more experienced skiers too? Thoughts and opinions much appreciated as always. TIA.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ortisei/St Ulrich in the Val Gardena valley in the Dolomites. Pretty town centre with a pedestrianised main street. There's a nursery slope in the village and a gondola going up to the Alpe di Suisi/Seiseralm where there are plenty of easy blue runs, so the parents of the beginner children can use the gondola to get there too for lunch. There's a very easy walking trail from Ortisei to the next town up the valley St. Christina which follows the trail of an old closed railway line. Ortisei itself is a centre of traditional wood carving and there's a free museum in town you can visit with exhibits on the valley traditions, and also a bit about the local person Luis Trenker who was a film director and made many mountain films.

For yourselves there's some very nice skiing nearby in the valley, with the 10.5km long red run 'La Longia' from the Seceda plateau down to Ortisei, and the Men's World Cup Downhill course the Sass Long with its famous camel bumps that ends down in St. Christina. The final town up the valley from St.Christina is Selva/Wolkenstein which of course is directly on the Sella Ronda circuit with all the possibilities that opens up to you. Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would also reccomend St Ulrich in the Dolomites. Unlike the French resorts with their ice climbing, indoor climbing walls, snow shoeing trips etc there is less for the non skier to do in the Italian resorts other than walk or go on bus tours. Though I have seen pictures of people doing via ferrata in the more spring like conditions it would still be a tad cold for me. St. Ulrich is good for walking and you could use the local busses to go as far as the Sella or Gardena passes for trips out. There also telecabines leaving from the town upto some view points and mountain restaurants for lunch. I think it is a prettier town than the more famous Wolkenstein further up the valley.

Did anyone mention that the scenery is stunning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. Our non skier doesn't need things like ice climbing etc, they will be very happy with good walks and ability to join us for lunch and see kids skiing a bit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@trmacc, Why Italy?

Easier to match your requirements elsewhere in my limited experience.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cortina.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Riccardo, just prefer it to be honest. Quieter, cheaper, I find it a friendlier place with young children and being an Italian speaker I just like being there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got to suggest Madonna di Campligo. Really nice town, plenty of shops and restaurants. Has walking paths but don't know what they're like and easy pedestrian access to mountain tops to meet up for lunch
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cortina is a thought, big enough to satisfy mile hungry teen? Agree the scenery is unsurpassable in the dolomite resorts, but any of the Aosta resorts come to mind to anyone?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevew, I would second this suggestion. + + +
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
trmacc wrote:
Cortina is a thought, big enough to satisfy mile hungry teen? Agree the scenery is unsurpassable in the dolomite resorts, but any of the Aosta resorts come to mind to anyone?

Far more easily connected mileage in Madonna and from what I understand - not ever having been to Cortina - a better lift system.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@trmacc, I've been to both and if you haven't visited either, take your pick.
Both lovely in their own right.
Both very scenic.
Both have nice walking trails for non skiers.
Madonna has the better linked lift system and more piste mileage however part of Cortina's appeal is the inconvenience of it's lift system as it seems to drive lots of people away which means the great skiing that is on offer is usually crowd free.
Cortina is a livelier town in so much as nice bars/restaurants but if you are in a hotel this may not be a factor?
Cortina was to undergo some changes and upgrades for the up and coming championships in a year or two, i'm not sure how these are planned or scheduled?
I'd re-visit either in heart beat. And will . . . .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@trmacc, My wife can no longer ski and we did a trip to Aosta/Pila. We stayed in the valley and caught the gondola up each day.
Aosta was enough to keep Mrs Z amused for a few days and there were plenty of nice restaurants in the evening for us.
We really enjoyed the trip.
I appreciate that with young kiddies, that being up in Pila will be preferrable.
AFAIK, the gondola only operates during the daytime, so you wouldn't be able to go into Aosta yourselves unless you have a car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aosta is big town with a lift up to Pila

Cortina is obvious choice though -cinema, art galleries, plus all the boutiques and cafes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy