Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheerful thoughts - Ski 2021 - Innsbruck questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI,

Not so long ago in a land far, far away I used to come to snowheads to smile and dream and ski vicariously through the stories, reports, questions and discussion on all things snowy. So I have decided to look forward to 2021.
Assuming some return to normality in the next 3 months, Daughter #1 is due to spend the next college year in Innsbruck. As such I will visit her a few times. Innsbruck seems to be a "virtual" ski resort, with people using it as a base to ski various smaller ski areas within a 20/45 min bus journey, so I have some questions.

Are there ski hire places in Innsbruck near the ski bus terninals?
Are these extortionate or reasonably priced?
Is there an Innsbruck area ski pass?
Do people get on the Innsbruck busses in ski boots and with skis?
Any recommended ski places to visit from Innsbrck. I searched but cant seems to find an Innsbruck TR.
Other considerations including accomodtion recommendations (she will be in college accomodation) - I will of course need to find somewhere for myself and perhaps a few other daughters. Is Airbnb widely used in Innsbruck?

Any and all information, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
ado
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are there ski hire places in Innsbruck near the ski bus terninals?
I'm guessing you want one place for the week rather than hiring each day in resort? There's Die Börse https://www.dieboerse.at/ about 5-10min walk from the Hauptbahnhof, or 2 stops on the bus.

Are these extortionate or reasonably priced?
Pretty reasonable, I think. If you can't find prices on their website, drop them an email, but bear in mind the shop is not currently open.

Is there an Innsbruck area ski pass?
There's the Ski + City pass: https://www.innsbruck.info/en/skiing/ski-plus-city-pass.html

Do people get on the Innsbruck busses in ski boots and with skis?
Yes, all the time. I think most resorts have lockers though, if you want to leave your trainers somewhere.

Any recommended ski places to visit from Innsbruck. I searched but cant seems to find an Innsbruck TR.
Well that depends on what you want! Plenty of info on the Innsbruck threads in the snow reports section, though you might find last season's more useful that this season's for obvious reasons Confused

Other considerations including accomodtion recommendations (she will be in college accomodation) - I will of course need to find somewhere for myself and perhaps a few other daughters. Is Airbnb widely used in Innsbruck?
There are certainly some AirBnBs around, as well as guest houses and hotels. Again, it depends what you want and how long for. I'm sure accommodation providers will be happy to answer your queries even though they are currently closed.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 31-03-20 13:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An oldish report of mine. Not really focussed on your particular questions but may help from a general visitors perspective

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3191227&highlight=innsbruck#3191227
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Die Borse hires, the bus stop to resorts is right outside - you can take the free bus or the local bus for a small fee & there is a decently priced Marriott opposite for lodging & you are bang in the centre of the town.

Free Ski Bus goes to Axamer, Schlick, Stubai Glacier, kuahti, etc. all within 60mins.
All the info is on innsbruck.info
From the train station, you are only around 90mins from St Anton to the West to Kitzbuhel in the East & as far down as Meyhofren in the South East. So lots of ski areas between the 60min-90min.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there for 3 weeks in January this year.

Die Borse for ski hire were v reasonable and really good to deal with.

Boots and skis in buses? Not only buses, but it's common to see people wandering through the centre of town in ski gear, boots and carrying skis. The only downside to the buses is that they stop lots on the way to the hill, so a 25 min car journey is easily double that in the bus. I started on buses but ended up hiring a car.

Ski hills? As Scarlet says it depends on what you are after. Axamer Lizum is steeper, Schlick 2000 has something for everyone, Muttereralm and Paschkogel are more beginner friendly. All 4 are really close to the city. You're in easy commuting distance with lots of other large resorts too. Too many to start to name.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow - this is great. Smile to my face already. Thanks to you all - seems like an ideal place for a few 2/3 days ski trips. Mrs Ado may even travel - we skied together for years, but she lost the bug - decided snow was cold. And had an increasing fears of "edges" - i,e pistes with big drops of the side. I shall refer to this thread in a few months time when I get into a more detailed planning mode. Hopefully Daughter #1, also a skier will also have the lay of the land by then....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bear in mind that the Innsbruck city ski pass (did it used to be called the Olympia pass?) might not be the best value if you intend visiting some of the cheaper hills or skiing part days (I think Aaamer Lizum drops slightly in price every 30 mins after 11am) but might be worth it for convenience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seefeld is easy to get to on the train, and the Rossenhutte will probably keep you busy for a day-trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Bear in mind that the Innsbruck city ski pass (did it used to be called the Olympia pass?) might not be the best value if you intend visiting some of the cheaper hills or skiing part days (I think Aaamer Lizum drops slightly in price every 30 mins after 11am) but might be worth it for convenience.

There used to be (no longer) an Olympia Pass, but the Ski + City Pass is different in that it includes a few other ski areas (like Stubaier Glacier) as well as the city stuff. 13 resorts included on it, and as far as I can remember from 2-3 days of skiing it should be cheaper/same price as buying local tickets/day passes (don't take my word for that though).

ado, there are also Innsbruck area season passes your daughter should look into:

1. Freizeitticket: https://www.freizeitticket.at

Only open to residents (she will have to register as one anyway) and includes a bunch of local resorts, a few further away spots, 3 days in each of Ischgl and and Arlberg, and a few other things like swimming pools, lakes, etc. Valid all year.

2. Tirol Snow Card: https://snowcard.tirol.at/de/index

Covers 90 odd resorts all across Tirol, but NOT the Arlberg. Anyone can get it, so if you plan to ski more than 14 days (or so) in Tirol over the winter may be worth looking into for you too. Valid Oct-May if I remember correctly.

Re. TR's, not quite the same but you can probably get an idea from my season report threads. Latest one is here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148503

Others dating back to 2012 or so can be found by searching the same title I guess.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 1-04-20 13:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
1. Freizeitticket: https://www.freizeitticket.at

Only open to resorts (she will have to register as one anyway) and includes a bunch of local resorts, a few further away spots, 3 days in each of Ischgl and and Arlberg, and a few other things like swimming pools, lakes, etc. Valid all year.

I think you mean 'Only open to residents'? wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tom Doc, ha, yes! edited Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

seems like an ideal place for a few 2/3 weeks ski trips

fixed it for you!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mrs MA and I finished a trip to Innsbruck in March this year, the day before the city/Tirol closed down due to Covid-19. That turned out to be a stroke of luck...

Day 1 - Stayed overnight in Innsbruck and skied a sunny half day (pm) for €30 at Muttereralm. Great little area. Not very challenging but nice, cruising red runs and an impressive 3000 ft vertical. Great snow cover, man made at the bottom. Easy 25 min bus trip from central Innsbruck. Free bus travel with the guest card from our accommodation.
Days 2-6: hut to hut ski touring in the Stubai Alps. Mixed weather but great.
Day 7: 2hr (€28 I think...) ticket at Patscherkoefel ski area before our train to Salzburg Airport. The slopes were totally deserted as Austria's lockdown began. Quite eerie as a result but amazing once we got used to it...Brilliant area. Uplift is one main (fairly new and very impressive) gondola but a 3000ft vertical and some lovely steep runs - including the Innsbruck Olympics downhill (men's I think?) - which is a fantastic black run. Lovely mountain restaurant at the top too. About 20 mins on the bus from the city centre. On a cautionary note, our second hotel (posher and more expensive than our first digs a week earlier...) didn't participate in the guest card scheme - so we had to pay for the bus. Slightly irritating - but only about €2 each way wink

We have previously skied at Schlick 2000 at Fulpmes, which is a decent, fairly extensive area. Fulpmes can be reached by bus and also a little train. (Rack railway I presume, as it goes uphill...)

Stubai glacier (a fair way by bus from Innsbruck) is excellent and well worth the trip. Very extensive and fantastic snow.

Innsbruck is a fantastic city for a visit, regardless of the skiing possibilities. The old town is gorgeous - full of character. Lots of restaurants and decent shopping, if that's your thing. Adding the skiing to the mix just makes it a perfect choice. We can't wait to go back.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy