Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How busy are Mayrhofen, St Anton or Obergurgl for new year week?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having lost out Easter holiday looking to book flights for either Christmas week or New Year week.

How busy are these resorts typically?

Looking at Innsbruck flights and any of these Mayrhofen, St Anton or Obergurgl.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, New Year week is just about the busiest and most expensive week of the season. It is also early season so there is also a risk of not so good snow conditions. Christmas week probably better though slightly more risk with snow. I suspect you can get a good deal at the moment as folk will be rather distracted by other events to be thinking much about next season's skiing.

Of the 3 places you mention I might be inclined to go with Mayrhofen or nearby in the Zillertal. St Anton is pretty much where I always go these days but New Year is best avoided as it is so crowded. Obergurgl is a bit limited in terms of skiing and if snow poor elsewhere will be very busy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’d second Munich Irish. Been in all 3 at New Year and much as I love the Arlberg I think St Anton is too busy. Obergurgl is small but it can be lovely and never gets stupidly busy. Downside there is that it’s high and mostly treeless and can get nasty in bad weather. Not a lot to do there if the lifts are shut. The Zillertal has a decent range of pistes with different aspects and altitudes so there’s usually good skiing to be had. I like Mayrhofen as a town but it’s my least favourite ski area in the Zillertal and does get really busy. Kaltenbach would be my first choice, then Zell am Ziller.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From Innsbruck you should also look at Ischgl and Sefaus/Fiss/Ladis. Wherever you choose I’d recommend Christmas week in preference to New Year. Cheaper, much quieter and generally a more happy, laid back vibe.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - decided to plump for Christmas week and should be quieter and cheaper. Have booked the Innsbruck flights. In slower time we book the accommodation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Valkyrie, you posted while I was typing Happy

Will look at those areas. The others we have been to and I was reasonably confident about them for early season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, Ischgl has the benefit of being high and very snow sure (though as noted for Obergurgl this can mean storms in mid winter), personally I dont like the village at all, far too brash so not good for Christmas (this is not an opinion shared by all, some folk love the place). Serfaus is pretty high, though again maybe more prone to bad weather mid winter, it deliberately does not score highly on the lively apres front which might (or might not) be an attraction. Apres ski bars are hardly flavour of the month at the moment!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've previously been to Obergurgl and Ischgl for Christmas. Family trips in both years.
Related to Christmas atmosphere, Obergurgl had none whatsoever. Small village with mostly half board hotels. Ischgl felt more festive. Except a drink at Kuhstal on our way back, we didn't go the famous Apres Ski joints near the gondolas.
Altitude related, in proper winter weather we had whiteouts and strong winds, with serious ski limitations. In Obergurgl we took the skibus to Solden, in Ischgl we could only ski down to the village.
They are snowsure for Christmas but it comes with a price, as @munich_irish mentioned.
When this nightmare will finally end, I plan to go to Serfauss/Tignes le Lac for Christmas
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After the last few seasons when we've been at New Year to Arlberg on a few occasions, we've now decided its a no-go for us from now on at NY, mad busy and not always a pleasurable experience - lift queues/ crowded bars and restaurants/ crowded pistes/ crazy fast out of control folks everywhere (slight over-generalisation but ceases to be enjoyable when you have to spend more time looking backwards rather than forwards imo). We now go 2 weeks later when its more enjoyable due to most of the above not being applicable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @NickyJ, I would avoid Mayrhofen from 31st onwards if you can (although the 1st tends to be quiet until after lunch), then Russians arrive for their break and it’s very busy for the next few days. Zell tends to be fine most of the time. At Christmas the only really busy day we found was the 26th as a lot of day trippers go skiing from INN and Munich. Avoid Kaltenbach on this day, it seems to suffer from the day trippers.

Also don’t travel on Saturday after Christmas or after NY. Sunday transfers only!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennyboy1, we have booked Saturday to Saturday? I was planning on hire car or Alps2Alps. Will I have issues with accommodation? I went to Maryhofen sat - sat last Easter holidays, so assumed we would be fine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, I only say that as the queues into the valley on a Saturday can be very long on the roads. If you decide not to take a hire car then train is nice.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 20-03-20 9:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are booked for Christmas week so hopefully that will be better with respect to traffic?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes should be better. We plan to go before Christmas and leave on 27th I think.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy