Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to spend a season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The snow is gone here (northeastern US), so I’m looking towards next season to keep hope alive. I’m gonna spend the whole season bumming, and any help picking a resort would be appreciated. I’m an advanced skier/snowboarder and here’s what I’m looking for in a resort (in order of importance).

1st – Change of scenery. I want to get out of North America. I want to use the metric system to measure snowfall and learn how to say “first tracks” in another language.

2nd – Terrain. Okay, so not all groomers are the same, but they’re pretty damn similar. I’d like a place where I can get powder, hairy backcountry runs, and trees.

3rd – Comrades. I’m going alone, so I’ll need to find some folks there who are handy with a transceiver and who want to explore the backcountry with me. I figure at the beginning of the season I’ll hire a guide to show me around, but I won’t have the money to do that every day.

4th – Overcrowding. I don’t want to spend all season waiting in lift lines and I want to be able to find fresh pow a couple days after a big dump.

5th – Price. I have some money put aside for this and I’ve got months more to save, but if the place is jaw-droppingly expensive I might have to.... work.

So far I’ve found a few resorts that stand out:

Chamonix: Does is live up to the hype? Overcrowding? Price? Vertical drop!

La Grave: Would I be able to find people to ski/ride with? What do you do when the lift shuts down? How does it compare with Cham?

Happo One: Yeah it’s crowded, but apparently they still get you uphill in a hurry and the Japanese never venture off-piste. Plus the powder’s supposed to be killer and Japanese chicks are rumored to dig western guys wink But will I find folks to explore the high avalanche-risk areas with me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thradash, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Add Verbier to your list of possibilities.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Elizabeth!

I just checked out the Verbier web page and it mentions that you have access to 5 resorts (Verbier, Nendaz, Veysonnaz, Thyon, La Tzoumaz). Are these lift-linked, or do you need to take a bus?

Speaking of linked resorts, under what conditions can you ski from La Grave to Les 2 Alps?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thradash, welcome. It's not the necessarily thetrendiest place in the world these days from a bumming POV but the possibilities aren't bad. Check out the PDS. BTW, I speak as someone who'll be marketing apartments in Chamonix next year...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks David!

I'm afraid I'm exposing my ignorance, but what's PDS? (And were you talking about Verbier or Chamonix?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did wonder if you;d get that reference - PDS = Portes Du Soleil, a big lift linked are covering (I think) Avoriaz and Morzine amongst others and spanning France and Switzerland.

La Grave - as far as I'm aware you'd have to be pretty dedicated to spend a season there. the village is tiny and there's really only the one lift. It may be better to consider staying in Les Deux Alpes which will offer a more rounded experience as it;sa larger village

Another option worth considering is somewhere in the Tarentaise Valley - Tignes la breviere wil give you access to the espace killy, while stillbeing far enough down the valley to make it feasible to try trips down to Les Arcs etc., or Bourg St Maurice whic is a real town with quick access to Les Arcs (via the funicular) and bus links to many other resorts -plus there are a few locals around *(such as Snowcrazy) who you may be able to hook up with.

http://pistehors.com is an invaluable resource if you;re considering backcountry skiing in france
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch,
Quote:

I speak as someone who'll be marketing apartments in Chamonix next year...

Best get some advertising in on the bottom line of your posts Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thradash, Following on from Elizabeth B personally I reckon Verbier and the environs is a good choice. All the places mentioned are skiable from Verbier without a bus. I am a bit biassed as my wife has just spent a whole month in Nendaz which is in the middle of the system with good access to all parts of the so called 4 Valleys.

The canton of Valais (Rhone Valley) boasts a large number of resorts all within a maximum of 2 to 3 hours by car (or train and bus) from one another. After Verbier a couple of valleys away you have the beautiful Val d'Anniviers with the charming resorts of Grimentz, St. Luc, and Zinal. Further along there is Saas Fee and its glacier. Next comes the world famous resort of Zermatt. These resorts are on south side of Valais. On the north side the ski-ing is less extensive, but no less attractive. Close to Lake Geneva there is Villars-sur-Ollon and Leysin. Into Valais proper there is the small resort and spa of Ovronnaz and then purpose built Anzere. Next comes smart and fashionable Crans-Montana. Then the smaller resort and spa or Leukerbad/Loeche-les-bains. Next are car free resorts of Bettmeralp and Riederalp overlooking the Aletsch Glacier (largest in the Alps maybe??) I might have missed some?! Little Angel

There is a Valaiscard skipass which can be used at all resorts but I am not sure if there are any limitations of use with this.

You will be spoilt for choice. Stick some of the names above into Google and have a search. Oooh by the way Switzerland is no more expensive than France, and rather more friendly in my opinion. wink Smile

Have fun
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt - Thanks, I'm checking out pistehors now! Have you ever been to serre chevalier? I've been told it's pretty close to les 2 alps and la grave. Is this near the Tarentaise Valley?

DAVID SNELL - thanks! Will I have an easier time navigating Switzerland as an english speaker? My impression was that everybody who interacts with tourists regularly will happly speak english, but if I'm living there I won't have a concierge.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i've been to Serre chevalier and really enjoyed it. La grave is about halfway between Les Deux alpes and Serre Chevalier - SC is over the other saide of the pass from LG though.

It's quite some way from the Tarentaise valley - this image may give you some idea

http://www.francetourism.com/practicalinfo/regions-pics/sport-ski-resorts-map.gif

Grenoble to Les Dex alpes is going to be about 90 minutes drive - Serre Chevalier is hidden under the Legend
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Is this near the Tarentaise Valley?

Only in summer. However, the Tarentaise is expensive and overrated compared with the Grande Galaxie so you're not missing much.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been to Serre Chevalier, L2A, Tarentaise valley resorts quite some times now.
L2A: Have worked in L2A and can tell you it's one of the most lively resorts I've ever been to. Can highly recommend it to you, however, I found the skiing area itself rather small. But I haven't tried La Grave and that's something not to miss as I've heard. Also near to Alpe d Huez which is another fab ski area.
Serre Chevalier: Briancon: friendlier and has a larger ski area and also fab off piste through the trees (and it's not crowded on an average), however it can lack snow sometimes, while at another year it's great (this year it was one of the best places to be at in the French Alps). Good sun record though. But it doesn't have much nightlife. The old town is very nice though.
Tarentaise:
tignes: fabulous skiarea, some nightlife (Val dísere has quite nice, but expensive nightlife as I've heard, full of British)
3 vallees: the best skiarea ever been to. SO so so huge, you'll never find something like that in USA. Quite crowded however sometimes, not cheap, but great nightlife in ValThorens
la plagne: large, beautiful area, not much nightlife

Le corbier in the Maurienne Valley. Not crowded at all, large area, boring nightlife
Flaine: quite large ski area, impressive snow record even though it's very low. Not too crowded, should be able to find a lot of powder Not inspiring nightlife.

Why don't you check for Italian resorts of Selva Gardena e.g.? Or Austrian resort of Mayrhofen in the Zillertal for example? Austria is very nice to be. Zillertal is huge and has the fab glacier of Hintertuxer, so always snow there.

Hope this was a little helpful
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy