Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmer weather suggestions: jacket + gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So we’ve always skied in January but last year (and now this year) we are having second trips in mid-March times.

I run quite warm anyway and usually wear a base layer under my insulated picture jacket which in the colder Jan weather, works well for me.

However last March I was sweating all over the shop and far too hot (and even on the last few days of my recent trip to the Dolomites, I was verging on being too hot due to the unseasonably warm temps).

So I’m looking to invest in a hard shell jacket. Can anyone recommend any? I know how good Arcteryx is and they last for years but they are very expensive and would be right at the very top end of my budget.
I’d prefer one actually designed for skiing with a lift pass pocket and preferably a snow skirt (more to keep the wind out, than the snow).

I know people normally ask for suggestions on warm gloves, but I’m actually after the opposite. I currently have two pairs of Dakines (one leather one fabric) which work very well in the cold. But again, same issues with the jacket. Last March and back end of this trip I was skiing in just my liners which were the ideal temperature but were too thin and ended up tearing when picking up my skis as well as having no real grip on them. Are there any good recommendations for a thinner but still tough ski glove?

Thanks all
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Decathlon have some £4.99 gloves, actually designed for football, with brilliant grip. I bought some for myself and grandchildren for cycling.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/keepwarm-adult-football-player-gloves-black-id_8368930.html

The adult ones are actually £5.99.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For Easter skiing I use Sealskinz waterproof cycling gloves. These do me nicely (and are good for cycling in UK and driving Happy)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For shells, I acquired a Stellar equipment one this year which on about 30 days skiing so far, I am very pleased with.

On a cheaper note, the Simond shells from Decathlon look to perform well. https://www.decathlon.fr/p/veste-impermeable-d-alpinisme-homme-alpinism-light-orange/_/R-p-161091?mc=8544950&c=ORANGE Or go soft shell.

As do their leather not particularly insulated gloves. https://www.decathlon.fr/p/gants-alpinism-cuir/_/R-p-143686?mc=8359558&c=OCRE
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have gone softshell for Easter but still find that too hot on occasions but or March will be fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a wicking base layer and a soft shell jacket with loads of vents. A pair of non water/wind proof gloves also helps to fill down. Jacket from mountain warehouse.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In warmer weather (and I also run warm) I use Dickies thinsulate lined leather gloves - they are available on eBay for around £8-15 a pair in either tan or black.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski hot so wear a shell and base layer in all weathers (although my base layer gets thicker at -20C). I've got a stretchy Marmot Goretex Ranonnee Jacket which I love. I bought it from Sportpursuit for loads off, but it was still expensive.

I think having a stretchy shell feels so much better, so either get a softshell or get s stretchy hardshell, Helly Hansen do a reasonably priced one (don't mix it up with the insulated one).

If you just want a hardshell skiing jacket, there are lots about, but check out sportpursuit for a bargain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions. I shall have a look.

I may push the boat out, treat myself and go for a tried and tested Arcteryx, Norrona or Haglofs one but I'll take a ganders at the Stellar stuff. I was reading the thread about them and people seemed pretty impressed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was also going to suggest Decathlon - a good selection of thinner gloves, or just their cheap 'silks', which I often ski in without anything over (grip fine, yes they get holes, but can either sew up quickly or replace, for about £6 a pair). Aldi also had some nice thinner 'proper' gloves.
Being a cheaper skate type, I'd suggest some of the Dare2B lightweight softshells (walking or ski ones, all do the job). Or the Decathlon Wedze ones. Probably won't give the lift pass specific pocket (but others always worked fine for me), nor snow skirt - but if wind is that much of an issue, probably the warmer jackets will be OK anyway.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both montane and rab and probably most other "mountain" brands do leather palmed gloves with little insulation. I've skied in both in warmer conditions to good effect.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about these?
https://www.berghaus.com/mens-waterproof-jackets/mens-gore-tex-jackets

No snow skirt or pass pocket, but are supposed to provide protection without causing overheating.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want budget, there's Regatta, for £30 or so:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0744HNMCT?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What size are you?

This might fit the bill and is about a third of what it's normally available for, but only in medium: LINK
snow report
They actually have it in small too: LINK

There are others selling it in bigger sizes and the other colour (blue) but this easily is the cheapest it's been.
ski holidays
https://www.alpinstore.com/en/clothing/womens/accessories/gloves/fashion/74850-heavyweight-screentap-black-diamond-black.html?&ads_affilie=6&id_contry=17&ads_product=74850&id_devise=4&utm_campaign=googleshopUK&pk_campaign=googleshopUK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsred34e_5wIViLbtCh38ggGyEAQYCSABEgL-CPD_BwE

I've some older version of these, now about 10 yrs, that have been really good in warmer weather. Goatskin palm that remain soft and grippy but don't seem to wear. Work well when I'm pushing out alot of heat, also extend far into very cold ambient temperatures. Very good mix if I don't need really insulated gloves.
ski holidays
Just to chuck another thought in here, I have one jacket and one pair of ski pants. They both have zip vents that can be opened to allow cold air in. I've done -20 in Feb in Colorado and +5 in Apr in Tignes in this setup, just by adjusting the zips.
ski holidays
Managed to get myself a Steep Series North Face shell off eBay for a good price. They had good reviews so happy with that.

Thanks for the suggestions all!
latest report
My suggestion for gloves would be mountain bike gloves. It's what I use on warm days since United stole my leather inners, which I find can happen anytime of the season these days.
snow conditions
+1 on mountain bike gloves for warm weather.
snow report
I was holding off recommending these until I'd actually tried them. I managed just one day on them but they were excellent:

https://www.townandco.com/products/gloves

Town & Country Comfort Fit gardening gloves available from most good garden centres. In fact our local garden centre had a vast array of suitable gloves - many more than you'd see in an outdoor shop - and very reasonable prices too. The back on these is stretchy and is gentle on the nose!

This model is now end-of-line but is still available in many places, including ebay, where we got ours. There is a replacement comming through but I haven't tried that one. They also have an insulated version which I might try next time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy