Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine-Avoriaz Express

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not going to get excited. Much. But the Morzine Town council's website has a very shiny sparkly section on the (proposed) link between Morzine & Prodains; with lots of public consultation planned, and opening December 2021.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but a quick search didn't turn up much. Equally, I can't see how it's been missed.

http://www.mairie-morzine-avoriaz.com/ema

http://www.mairie-morzine-avoriaz.com/ema/img/EMA-dossier-concertation-GB-dec18-web.pdf

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for posting this. Our transfer driver was telling us about it as we left Morzine the other day. I will read with interest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@doctor_eeyore, cheers for posting - I'd heard about it but hadn't seen the map or photos. Very interesting! It's going to be a mammoth lift!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@doctor_eeyore,

Hi, thanks for posting this. Had only heard rumours previously but this now looks like a serious probability. It will make my wife's life much simpler, she is a non skier who normally has to get the bus to Prodain in order to meet me for lunch in Avoriaz.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems that not long ago people were talking about the finance not being forwarded to build ski infrastructure below certain altitudes.

Looks like environmental consideration at point of use would hold the upper hand here. It must by able to significantly reduce vehicle emissions to and from each end of the planned lift, and consequently benefit the Morzine basin area in terms of air quality.

It appears a sensible addition to travelling around there, probably multi season impact as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, That's not ski infrastructure however. It's a main transport route to Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some people would say its a/ a vanity project of the mayor. b/ not the most effective way to spend a gazillion euros of public money. c/ a way of channelling said pubic money to his own and other crony building companies (for which he is already under investigation). d/ an eyesore which will destroy much of the historic centre on Morzine. e/ does not address (even exacerbates) the problem of too much traffic in central Morzine, or it's parking problems. f/ is fatally flawed as a means of transporting particularly goods, since everyone & everything has to be unloaded and re-loaded at the mid-station in Prodains. g/ politically motivated as part of the countermeasures to prevent Avoriaz breaking away from Morzine and becoming its own Commune. h/ why?

There is a lot of pressure for and against, and moves from the Mairie to force it through. Personally I can see good and bad so am fairly ambivalent, although b/ above is a good question. My only prediction is that democracy will have little influence on the outcome.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Obvious benefits from a skiing and transport point of view.

One problem I can see is that, for the straight line route between Prodains and Morzine, there has to be a pylon in a very prominent location (you can see it in the video) - i.e. the lift can't just run along the valley. That surely won't help the environmental / visual impact case?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@shep, morzexit?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bit of a niche topic here but wondered if any snowheads will be voting on the upcoming Morzine-Avoriaz express development. I believe the vote is due to take place soon and the two sides ( for and against ) are gearing up their campaign.
I’ve been going to morzine for decades and have just put down a deposit on a bolt hole there. I have mixed feelings on the project.
It’s Relatively easy to get to the Avoriaz ski area already ( super morzine) and the disruption will be mega. But the end product will add another dimension to the resort.
It would be interesting to hear other local opinions......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I read that if approved (this month?) then construction starts in April? Like you, we’re about to press the button on buying somewhere in/near Morzine and for us this would be a great addition and would avoid the bottlenecks above Super Morzine - though if we buy we’ll probably buy a car and keep it out there, in which case Ardent is probably our preferred start point.

We’re looking at the Pied de la Plagne area so away from the construction, but i can see why folks would be concerned about a lift going over their houses for 12 hours a day, apart from the environmental issues.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy from embsay, What's the bottleneck above Super Morzine ?
I know Proclou gets busy during lessons at half term (5-10) minutes, but it's not busy early doors, and people coming up from SM only need to go through here once.
A bigger win I think is reducing the Ardent car park through flow.
But all this will do is move those cars from Ardent to central Morzine - so is that really any better?
I am a bit of a cynic, but it screams "Vanity Project" to me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jwh138,

I will be voting at the weekend. The face of Morzine has changed beyond recognition during the current mayor's tenure. A large number of big apartment blocks that were sold on the back of the new lift project going ahead. These blocks are empty for most of the year.
Many of the locals are strongly against, saying that the plan will not address the main issue of traffic transiting Morzine. They also argue that the HUGE financial cost to the local residents is not justified by the return. Many think the long/medium term viability of the whole area is in doubt due to global warming.
It will be a close run thing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WindOfChange wrote:
I know Proclou gets busy during lessons at half term (5-10) minutes, but it's not busy early doors, and people coming up from SM only need to go through here once.

While I generally agree that it's fixing a problem that doesn't really exist I'd also say Proclou IS a bottleneck even outside half term. While not full ski-Nazi I'm not in the "10am lift" crowd either and all too often you come around the corner and mutter "Botox!" to yourself as you catch a view of the queue.

Of course this is easy to avoid - just jump on the bus. OK, that's easy for us as we stay next to the first bus stop on the route - it's harder for those further up the valley who get to see packed buses drive past. But that could be addressed with more buses - and you can buy a LOT of buses for the cost of that gondola...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Read this https://www.montagnevertemorzine.com/en/ema
snow report
Mjit wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

While I generally agree that it's fixing a problem that doesn't really exist I'd also say Proclou IS a bottleneck even outside half term. While not full ski-Nazi I'm not in the "10am lift" crowd either and all too often you come around the corner and mutter "Botox!" to yourself as you catch a view of the queue.

I’ve not skied in Morzine at half term for about 5 years, and am usually out twice a season. I’ve often waited for 15mins+ at Proclou - I agree you only have to do it once (or just head up to Ardent, if you can cope with standing with your head in someone’s armpit for 15 minutes), but it feels a long old trek over to Lindarets/Avoriazx going via SM.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@Jwh138,

I will be voting at the weekend. The face of Morzine has changed beyond recognition during the current mayor's tenure. A large number of big apartment blocks that were sold on the back of the new lift project going ahead. These blocks are empty for most of the year.
Many of the locals are strongly against, saying that the plan will not address the main issue of traffic transiting Morzine. They also argue that the HUGE financial cost to the local residents is not justified by the return. Many think the long/medium term viability of the whole area is in doubt due to global warming.

I think you need a ring road. As Pleney never has snow on it any more it could run from Les Gets, past the Cherche-Midi (which would probably get enough passing trade to be viable again) and down piste B, under the bubble, across the drag lifts and straight to the rounabout.

Or a tunnel. That’s what the Swiss would do. A Big Tunnel.

Did you vote?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
zzz wrote:
@Jwh138,

I think you need a ring road. As Pleney never has snow on it any more it could run from Les Gets, past the Cherche-Midi (which would probably get enough passing trade to be viable again) and down piste B, under the bubble, across the drag lifts and straight to the rounabout.

Or a tunnel. That’s what the Swiss would do. A Big Tunnel.

Did you vote?

That is a great plan, except it might be a bit busy by my house! Not that I'm a NIMBY or anything.

It's next weekend.
snow report
I've skiied PDS lots of times but as distinctly two separate areas.

When we've stayed in Morzine (near Pleney) we've skiied Morzine/Les Gets.

When we've stayed in Avoriaz, we'll ski the lindarets/Swiss side.

Two ways of looking at it - the cable car will link the area further more effectively and mean a more joined up experience.

Or you could argue that we've viewed the trips separately at the moment, and if it was linked maybe we wouldn't have needed to have visited so many times?
snow report
I stayed in L’Igloo and went to both.
ski holidays
@zzz, vote for the tunnel then Happy
ski holidays
Re proclou, we’ve suffered big queues there new year week and yet the lefties quite happily let chair after chair go with one tie or three people. Seems nuts to be considering such a massive capital infrastructure project if there not getting anywhere near capacity out of the existing lifts.
ski holidays
@MHskier, for one season there was a singles line for Proclou but no one really knew about it, then the sign disappeared year after. It’s an absolute PITA
snow report
Seems kind of trivial now, but for those interested the anti-EMA group won the Morzine municipal elections, so it's all change at the Mairie and presumably EMA gone the way of the 19/20 season... Twisted Evil

Oh, and it turns out my earlier prediction was wrong Blush
latest report
@shep, does that mean all change to planning and projects across the board then?
latest report
No expert but the new Upper Chablais PLU will come into force irrespective of incumbents at the various Mairies. How each Mairie interprets it on a case by case basis may well be different, but we'll never know...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy