Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well that’s that, then ... end of season 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I thought that Switzerland would continue with its traditional approach to Health & Safety:

Nax has a bench which you can sit down on, and enjoy the view.
If you step forward by 5 metres you will fall to your death down a 200 metre cliff.
There is no fence.
When asked ‘why is there no fence?’ Residents will answer ‘..because it would be stupid to fall down the cliff..’.

I expected CH to keep its ski stations open. Why? Because NO ONE SKIES IN THE SMALL VILLAGES.....

Last season we skied and skied and skied in the small villages. Nax, Les Marecottes, Vercorin, Chandolin, even Grimentz. There are no gondola with people crushed together, only two and three seat chairs. There are no queues of people - ski straight into the chair. There was never anything like 500 people together in the restaurants. And that was in perfect conditions, when people are most drawn to the hills. We drive to the villages.

There is more chance getting Corona virus from going to the post office than skiing in these places. But they have shut due to ... Corona Virus.
I think this will have as much effect on virus transmission as shutting our fridge door, or shutting the workshop window. Or shutting any number of things. At least I had skiing with the Grom to look forward to...now i don’t. S h == t.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@valais2, If they stay open how equipped are they for the crowding that would occur given everywhere else is shut? And Grimentz definitely has a gondola unless you skinned up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, ...true re Grimentz and Vercorin does .. but last year in April we shared it with .... oh yes, I remember...one other person.

But you are right about possible overcrowding. It might have happened. Or might not. Like so many things right now:....who knows?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A problem is injuries during skiing overloading the health services when they need as few avoidable issues as possible
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pieman666, entirely true....in all seriousness, for sure I have just briefed my staff to avoid accidents, falls and suchlike. That’s an objective issue.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, There are multiple reasons for the ski station shut downs:
1. Reducing social contact (though I agree this is low risk in small areas)
2. Getting rid of the tourists so they don't take up healthcare resources should they become ill
3. Not encouraging more tourists to come
4. Reducing the number of ways people can hurt themselves.

Admittedly, humans can be very creative when it comes to finding new and interesting ways to hurt themselves, but taking away an activity that is known to consume both rescue and hospital resources is probably quite sensible. It is for this reason that there is also (here in Austrian, anyway) no ski touring, hiking or climbing.

It sucks, hopefully it won't last too long.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
keep the small areas open, and they will become busier as the populous looks for anything skiable, thus increasing the risk of contact/contagion. Shutting everything really is the only way to go.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All good arguments re injury.

But given that almost everywhere I have been in the UK (Globe Theatre last Saturday; Cambridge today; cycling at the weekend...) is increasingly devoid of people I suspect that had the small resorts stayed open, they would have enjoyed either the same or fewer skiers. But that’s just a personal judgement and ... who knows? ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
@valais2, There are multiple reasons for the ski station shut downs:
1. Reducing social contact (though I agree this is low risk in small areas)
2. Getting rid of the tourists so they don't take up healthcare resources should they become ill
3. Not encouraging more tourists to come
4. Reducing the number of ways people can hurt themselves.

Admittedly, I can be very creative when it comes to finding new and interesting ways to hurt myself, but taking away an activity that is known to consume both rescue and hospital resources is probably quite sensible. It is for this reason that there is also (here in Austrian, anyway) no ski touring, hiking or climbing.

It sucks, hopefully it won't last too long.

FIFY
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:
All good arguments re injury.

But given that almost everywhere I have been in the UK (Globe Theatre last Saturday; Cambridge today; cycling at the weekend...) is increasingly devoid of people I suspect that had the small resorts stayed open, they would have enjoyed either the same or fewer skiers. But that’s just a personal judgement and ... who knows? ...

If a few places stayed open they would have been rammed. See what happened in Cham when Italy and CH closed. Even Carrefour (highest road access) in Verbier was rammed with cars and full buses on Saturday just with ski tourers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Cool I'm not that special though, if I can hospitalise myself on my own on an empty piste, I'm pretty sure most other people can too NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
C19 is totaly out of control in Switzerland.

It has the 2nd highest infection rate on the whole planet.

Almost as bad as Italy.

The real question is -- why did Switzerland not close sooner.

Country is a disaster zone.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, ...thanks Bob...if anyone knows the reality high in CH it’s you...looks like my ability to anticipate unknown situations enjoys a 100 per cent record of getting it wrong....oh well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
C19 is totaly out of control in Switzerland.

It has the 2nd highest infection rate on the whole planet.

Almost as bad as Italy.

The real question is -- why did Switzerland not close sooner.

Country is a disaster zone.

Switzerland has taken action albeit late. Hopefully this will help get it under control. Fortunately there is a very strong healthcare sector and universal cover.

Think I’d be a bit more worried about the US if I were you considering the science denying idiot you’ve got in charge.

Here are the stats but they will be massively understated in Europe/US at least due to the lack of testing availability
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy