Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire/rental in Italy.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I did search but the results did some funky thing where the posters name appeared but not the topic......
Anyway it won’t hurt to get up to the minute info.
Is there any car hire company that gives the option of winter tyres (not just chains) when hiring from Milan or Turin or even Verona?
Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hire in Switzerland or Austria and drive down.
I haven't seen or heard of the option for winter tyres in Milan or Turin and you will have to get assertive if you want chains over a weekend even if booked...
Most roads get cleared pretty quickly and the snow level isn't usually too far below the resort so chaining up at the last moment isn't the end of the world, just make sure you bring old gloves, something to kneel on and remember when putting them on the chains won't be wrong it will you. Oh, and be overjoyed that it is snowing on your holiday! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Booked a car from Venice Marco Polo with Hertz for 8 days over 1/2 term (17-24th Feb). Ordered a Audi A4 quattro estate with winter tyres and chains. Pre-pay cost was just over £200. Got the car but realised as we were leaving the resort that there definitely weren't any chains in it. I blame having to wake up at 2.45am to start the journey. Not many years ago that was before bedtime! It did have winter tyres and we (fortunately) definitely did not need chains at any stage (the sun was shining both driving days) but best to ask and see them go in the boot. I saw the cupboard full of chains as I was handing the keys back Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try win-rent in Italy.
Used them in half term from Venice Marco Polo
Winter tryres are specified .
They were very friendly and helpful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyglass wrote:
Try win-rent in Italy.
Used them in half term from Venice Marco Polo
Winter tryres are specified .
They were very friendly and helpful.

Thanks. Will try that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We found when arranging a car for the S14BB from Venice that you are far more likely to get winter tyres if you ring up the car hire desk at the airport directly and ask them. We got a 4x4 from Hertz at Venice with winter tyres - no chains though. It is the law in Italy that cars being rented in certain Northern provinces must have either winter tyres or chains in them in winter months. I guess it is much easier for the car hire companies to just bung some chains in the boot of their cars that to fit winter tyres. win-rent does let you specify winter tyres on their website - never used them though.

They are very good at keeping the roads clear, I would say winter tyres are a better option than summer tyres with chains, but if you can find the option of both then take it!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, We booked with Hertz via Rentalcars.com for Milan Malpensa this half term, there is a filter on the website. Booked a Fiat 500L or similar with winter tyres and got a Jeep Renegade 2WD with winter tyres, it's more expensive than summers and chains but saves any crawling around in the snow if it does. The only fresh snow we saw was back at Milan overnight before we flew home.
If you haven't, read through this thread, all hire companies seem to have a number of ways to get extra money out of you if you do t challenge them. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=136597&highlight=
BTW aid you fly in to T2 at MXP there less choice of operators there, make sure you specify T2 pick up and drop off and check the rental document as soon as it arrives, my first attempt failed, and had to ring rentalcars to get the right terminal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hertz from Turin.

I booked a 4x4 Audi Q3 with winter tyres for this year.
Until we cancelled due to CV19. But you can find them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see this thread is two years old
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnHSmith wrote:
I see this thread is two years old

And reawakened by a spammer
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy