Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If your European holiday is cancelled support Scottish skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I've heard it said that a few are heading up north.

My holiday in Austria is now off next week so I'm looking to head up to Scotland maybe at Easter.

Scottish skiing has had a really rough time over the last 18 months with lack of snow. But they have lots up there now and the season in Scotland is always a late one and runs until May usually.

So try and get up and support them. Super people, super atmosphere and British businesses that could do with a boost.

If people could keep.adding to this thread, posting pics etc to keep it high and regular on the Snowheads forum. Then it get seen by as many a Sniwheads as possible.

So over to you guys. Lots of great stories and pictures of skiing in Scotland please over the next few weeks to encourage as many of us to there as possible!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Webcams for Glencoe look glorious- some big queues forming on top lift. Wish I was there
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can someone please school me on Scottish Skiing.

I'm more than happy to drive 1hr each day so recommendations for accommodation gratefully accepted.

Everything I've seen on booking.com has been > £80 per night

Not interested in camping or hostels.

Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isn't the idea not to move about too much and potentially spread the virus?

Who knows we may go the same way as China/Italy in a few weeks and be 'requested' to stay in our local areas.

If indeed there are many more cases as suggested then isnt it unfair to descend on Scotland and potentially drive up their number of cases? As was said on news night last night they have an incredibly small number of ICU beds with ventilators.

Just think as we move forward how your actions might have a knock on effect to others.

And let’s hope (and pray if that's your thing) that we are able to get a handle on this. There wil be snow next year, so you miss a few days on the slopes so what!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow wrote:

I'm more than happy to drive 1hr each day so recommendations for accommodation gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Perth/Blairgowrie or Braemar are decent bases for Glenshee if the snow hangs around on the East. Glencoe have onsite 'hobbit huts' basic individual huts with heating, power and shelf style beds- need a sleeping bag and to use toilet blocks- but are a stones throw from the chair. Fort William for Nevis range has a vast range of B&B's/hotels with different price points.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be interested but surely the queues and crowds will be monumental now that people cannot go to the alps and thus wouldn't that be more of a risk of spreading the virus as a result?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know that the resorts are implementing some throttling to manage as best they can the Covid-19 issue. Cairngorm for example issued a very good note about it today - reduced ticket sales, staggered cafe access etc.

As for guidance:
Glenshee - Accom in Braemar, Bridge of Caly (hotel) and Blairgowrie.
Glencoe - Glencoe onsite accom, Clachaig Inn, Kings House which is very flash now ! then back to Bridge of Orchy hotel or Crianlarich. Other way Glencoe
NR - Fort Bill
Cairngorm - Aviemore, pods at Glenmore, holiday houses galore there as well

It will be busy but early bird gets the worm, be in carpark by 08:30 and you will be rewarded.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was due to fly tomorrow to France, but hello Scotland instead ?
Is it possible to hire ski touring kit in Scotland ? Anyone can recommend a place ?
I've never been, but I've heard that they close ski lifts due to the winds quite often.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes Scotland looking attractive but potentially busy, as said.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MWIS forecast most accurate. Glenshee usually survives winds better as has lots of surface lifts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yes - I can imagine queues, hence idea to go ski touring...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all.

Having a good look.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sold (having lost Italy this week and likely to lose the USA in early april). So what do folk down in London do? Fly to Glasgow? Train to FW seems to have only variable availability for the sleeper, and I can't imagine there's much car hire thereabouts. Drive all the way?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dyrlac wrote:
Sold (having lost Italy this week and likely to lose the USA in early april). So what do folk down in London do? Fly to Glasgow? Train to FW seems to have only variable availability for the sleeper, and I can't imagine there's much car hire thereabouts. Drive all the way?
Laughing It's quicker to drive to Switzerland from here.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James77 wrote:

Who knows we may go the same way as China/Italy in a few weeks and be 'requested' to stay in our local areas.

If indeed there are many more cases as suggested then isnt it unfair to descend on Scotland and potentially drive up their number of cases? As was said on news night last night they have an incredibly small number of ICU beds with ventilators.

Just think as we move forward how your actions might have a knock on effect to others.

And let’s hope (and pray if that's your thing) that we are able to get a handle on this. There wil be snow next year, so you miss a few days on the slopes so what!
ski holidays
James77 wrote:

I think we have to go on guidelines. We can't just stop the economy. Dont shake hands. Wash them well. Avoid to much closed contact.
latest report
Quote:

I think we have to go on guidelines. We can't just stop the economy. Dont shake hands. Wash them well. Avoid to much closed contact.

I agree world needs to keep turning but I'll do what I can personally to not put others at risk. The guidlines in Italy and Austria have closed the season early, our guidlines are different currently doesn't mean they're right.
ski holidays
I'm no expert bit have visited all areas. Here goes.

Glencoe. Small.bit some testing skiing. Amazing views. Near fort william.

Nevis range. Bigger. Next to fort william. Range of skiing. Some back bowls for great off piste.

Cairngorm. Biggest area. Finichlar.broeln at the mo so can be queues but a range if skiing.

Glencoe. Spread put area over a few hills. Some steep blacks, stay at breamar or near

Lecht. Smallest area but varied steepenss of runs. Stay near Ballater of Toumontoul.

When the snows good, the sun shines and it's not blowing a gale, a lit of fun can be had. The local tipple is the best in the world.

There are some big avalanches in Scotland. Get advice before heading off the beaten track. Plenty of experienced professionals up there to help.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, I've stayed in Fort William to ski Glencoe before, the drive there and back isn't a real issue. It also makes Nevis easy to get to, but unless it's open off the back it isn't as much fun there.

When i took the kids we stayed at the Clachaig Inn which was good.
snow report
Bodeswell wrote:
Dyrlac wrote:

Switzerland resorts starting to close now......
ski holidays
Thanks guys
ski holidays
Quote:

Glencoe. Spread put area over a few hills. Some steep blacks, stay at breamar or near

Er no.
Replace Coe with shee, or raemar with allachulish.
latest report
It's *usually* fine during the week skiing in Scotland in terms of people on the hill. Remains to be seen what effect the current situation will have on numbers tho, I'm planning on some sliding Mon/Tues wherever conditions are best so will update then
latest report
t4tomo wrote:
Bodeswell wrote:
Dyrlac wrote:

I know mate, I was merely make a light hearted point about driving to Scottish ski resorts not being particularly convenient from here...I'd fly and hire a car.
snow report
+ 1 for @James77, got friends in China and HK and I have to say they think our govt is crackers. My kids godmother in HK has been asking me why they are still at school esp now most of Europe is off. You know I hope I am and wrong and our govt is right about it all. But this is the same group of people that said BREXIT would/will be easy (lights blue touch paper and steps away from keyboard)
latest report
Cheesie168 wrote:
+ 1 for @James77, got friends in China and HK and I have to say they think our govt is crackers. My kids godmother in HK has been asking me why they are still at school esp now most of Europe is off. You know I hope I am and wrong and out govt is right about it all. But this is the same group of people that said BREXIT would/will be easy (lights blue touch paper and steps away from keyboard)

I find it hilarious anyone in China thinking our Govt is crackers. Top marks for shoehorning Brexit into a world wide Health emergency though.
snow conditions
Before everyone rushes up to Scotland expecting empty slopes I would suggest you check the webcams, Glenshee’s webcam is down but I would be surprised if their car park wasn’t pretty full, Cairngorm’s webcams are showing their car park as full, Lecht not busy but could change tomorrow.
snow conditions
What is the likelihood that they will close the resorts in scotland though? We are tempted to drive up for a few days but at 9hrs we wouldn't want to make that journey with no reward. We also worry that schools will close next week and it will be flooded with kids anyway!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The weekends are busy but midweek generally great.
ski holidays
That will be WFH (working from hill ) then?
ski holidays
So what is the best way to get to Scottish resorts from London?
latest report
@Bella2015, Private jet from City Airport.
snow report
@Bodeswell, perfect...just what l had in mind;)
ski holidays
Or the Caledonian Sleeper train - direct from Euston to Fort William or Aviemore
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:

Thanks

Premier Inn in Fortwilliam?
snow conditions
Was so chuffed today looking at the queues on the coe webcams today. Great to see so many people out and great to see Glencoe getting some income.

latest report
t4tomo wrote:
Bodeswell wrote:
Dyrlac wrote:

Trip to Davos just cancelled as Swiss Govt is closing all Swiss resorts from Sunday
snow conditions
Can we have some nice pictures of Scottish skiing over the weekend please.

If the resorts do close, which is looking unlikely at the moment. The scenery in the west coast is amazing and great for walking. The north coast, east of Inverness is stunning. It's worth the trip without the skiing.
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

Er no.
Replace Coe with shee, or raemar with allachulish.

Yes, sorry. Brain freeze there.

Glenshee is spread out, variety of slopes, and lots of lifts.

Glencoe, smaller but some serious skiing to be found.

If it were me I'd do a mini tour. Glencoe has had some epic spring skiing over then last ten years.
snow conditions
For Glencoe or Nevis

https://www.corranbunkhouse.co.uk/

A lovely hostel that will make you think twice about writing such places off @Mike Pow. Great place. Twin en-suite bedrooms, cooking facilities, big lounge, lovely owners, decent drying rooms, 3 local pubs
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy