Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GPS speeds (SkiTracks)

Poster: A snowHead
This came up elsewhere here recently (around here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151157&start=40 ) and the data I reported (a single point of 93km/h) was universally rubbished, as vastly excessive speeds.

I have no way to independently check it so I am no wiser, but in tests in a car I was not able to get the app to show incorrect speeds. Still, hard to believe one could do 58mph on skis, even momentarily.

So I contacted the app developer. I sent him the GPS track log and this is what he reported:

I do not think the phone has any issues - not from what I have seen from the analysis.
From my experience these are kinds of top speeds we see.
0kmh-50kmh - 40% of our users.
50kmh-70kmh is still quick but most intermediate skiers and snowboarders could reach this with the right conditions. 45%
80kmh-100kmh is pretty fast but can be obtained by good intermediate/advanced skiers and snowboarders - particularly on empty, smooth, 25-35deg long blues/reds 12%
However the problem is that the air resistance is the square of the speed so it gets increasingly difficult to go faster - as any road cyclist will know.
From 100kmh - 120kmh things start to get more difficult. You need steeper slope angles and more tucked position. <2.9%
From 120kmh - 140kmh you need speed suits, steeper slopes and pretty hard setup. <0.1%
Anything more than 140kmh is really beyond normal downhill skiing and requires a special course with downhill equipment.
Obviously these kinds of speeds should not be attempted on normal recreational slopes.
We probably see just a handful of people doing actually reaching 120kmh.
We have never seen an official 140+kmh speed ever recorded on Ski Tracks - mainly because we do not promote speed and hence we do not have speed leaderboard.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I (sadly) went back and re-read that thread. I didn't see you being "universally rubbished", I did see one poster DoM questioning whether a single point was accurate. You would have to plot the speeds on a graph and see if that single point was plausible or not.

To give you an example I recorded 110kph on Strava last week. Now at the time I was on Cross country skis and standing around watching a load of kids traverse a slope, my only movement was wagging a finger to indicate that the skier could start. If I plotted my speeds they would be 0,0,0....., 110kph, 0, 0, 0
It was probably a tree branch waggling that partially blocked the satellites, or a cloud, or something.

Now if you plot your speeds as 88,88,89,90,91,91,93,92,90... then that would be entirely plausible.

90 isn't crazy fast, you can touch a hundred kph on the Jeux at l'alpe d'Huez (it is one of the learner runs from the DMC) because you can straightline it from top to bottom and get into a mega tuck.

Feel free to send my your gpx and I will tell you if the 93kph is plausible but I've no reason to disbelieve it.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 1-02-20 21:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Stevens wrote:
Still, hard to believe one could do 58mph on skis, even momentarily.

Why? Racers do much more than that, it's physics. My ski tracks had me hit 80kph last year and I can believe it - nearly crapped myself (wasn't planning on going that fast) Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Usain Bolt’s 100m record is 9.58 seconds, average speed over the course of this race was 37.58 km/h or 10.43 m/s with his peak speed measured at 44.72 km/h or 12.42 m/s.

You skiing peak speed was 93 km/h which is 25.83 m/s. Your peak speed was ONLY double of someone running. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've no method of personal measurements except for using those speed trap setup by the ski area with display for having a go at.

As follows ;

96.88 kmh in Termingnon on Salomon 1080s hard piste, full tuck.
92.4 kmh in Les Arcs Vallandry on Kastlé XX90 fresh fallen snow, full tuck.
102.5 kmh in Verbier on Head Monster 88 hard pack, entrance barrier down so you could straight line it into speed area Very Happy full tuck.

All in "holiday" attire. Tuck as taught to me by Italian ex racer skii instructor, chest on thighs with hands as far forward as possible, then raised to lift the air over your head like a canard wing.
Without special clothing it seems to me to top out around 100kmh ish.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 1-02-20 22:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm. I haven’t used Ski Tracks for some years, but I did use it for a while so have some data on there still. I was more interested in distance than speed, but that is massively reduced when skiing off-piste so there was little point (for me anyway, I’m way more cautious) and I have a good feel for how far I can go in a day now.

You can see all the daily top speeds on the home screen, so it’s easy to get a feel for them. I haven’t done actual maths, but it looks like the mean top speed is about 75kph, though it regularly hit the high 80s. There are a couple in the 90s and then a couple over 100kph with the top speed of 115kph. I know that on at least one of those days I left it on in the car rolling eyes and any over 90kph are probably anomalies too. Empty, smooth pistes would explain the rest though, as most of those were in the Dolomites.

So yeah, you maybe could get it to read 93kph, but I’d question the accuracy especially if you’re not regularly hitting similar speeds (that is NOT a challenge).

I’m more impressed with the day I skied 75km! I’m pretty sure that distance is accurate.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
93 km/h seems quite plausible to me if it is transitory. Some years ago an instructor got me to ski tucked through a speed trap which recorded over 80 km/h and I am an average intermediate. (The speed trap was a sop to our daughter, for whom the adrenaline rush of speed is a big part of skiing).

But sustaining 93 km/h for any distance would be far harder except on a purpose prepared slope. Or maybe by a professional downhill racer with all the gear.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most days if I can get first tracks I can get over 90 consistently on a snowboard - Rossi Xv - it’s quick

That’s peak speed obviously. Same slope each time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very plausible to us too. We average between 40-55mph as top speed each day we ski in good piste conditions, though obviously when we step off the sides speeds drop quite a bit. Well serviced longer skis help if your looking for that kind of thing, as does a good tuck (better without the tv ariel)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, did you leave it on in the train on the way back from Bourg?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, Laughing

It's not mine, haven't used SkiTracks in a very long time. It's from a fellow snowHead, recorded while skiing on the Pre-Season Bash. I've seen more than a few similarly ludicrous speeds recorded by SkiTracks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know that the Garmin watch I had was seriously lacking in accuracy at speed because I tested it at a track day. Speeds would've been between about 20 and 80mph I'd guess and I obviously followed the same route each lap but got this.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GPS altitude calculation is highly problematic: you need to have a signal from a minimum of 4 satellites (which is difficult in mountains) and even then it can be off by as much as 100m or even more.

This results in drastic variations and nonsense results like posted above.

Quote:

particularly on empty, smooth, 25-35deg long blues/reds

25 degrees is a steep red, 35 degrees is a seriously steep black. The Swiss Wall is 40 deg max
The fact that the guy doesn't know that (or confuses degrees and % slope) calls into question his qualification.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I managed to break my all-time record in Fieberbrun on piste109 week before last...
It was first thing on perfect piste, we put spotters at a few points and I did the whole thing in a full tuck.
Garmin told me my 3 runs were max speed 88kmh, 99kmh and the best 116.8kmh. On that run i think i left a long brown streak down most of the run - I'd definitely never been anywhere near that fast on skis before!
It may not have been absolutely accurate, but I left it on on the bus which didn't exceed 71kmh!
I did compare the gps track and it corresponded very nicely with the piste map and road...
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I'm not sure i could manage that even in freefall. And no, i won't give it a go. Laughing
latest report
some person in technical support wrote:
From my experience these are kinds of top speeds we see.
The issue is not whether mobile phones can report such speeds, it's why they make these errors.
And why people desperately want to believe them.

There's a huge technical difference between estimating the speed of a vehicle on a road for which you have geographical information and a skier on a slope.
The first is generally very accurate, the internet's full of evidence that the second is very inaccurate.

If people really think they're fast, find a speed ski course and report that speed here.
snow report
Very skeptical of the accuracy of these things. I recorded 61.4mph twice in Zermat at new year. The first one I can believe as it was a smooth, freshly posted steep section from Furgsattel to Trockener Steg, just off to the right of the main runs that had seemingly been designed for speed and I was kacking it. The second time was very closely geo located on the run from Theodulpass down to Trockener Steg and I’m not having for a second I reached the same speed and that it happens to be exactly the same recorded speed as the prior day.
snow conditions
I’m sure it’s not that accurate but it’s a lot of fun trying to crack a hundy.

Generally I measure it on the same slope at the same time of day, and I usually get relative speeds that are consistent - ie no outliers and if it feels quick it usually is a bit quicker. The gps tracks are accurate as well. I normally ride with my daughter and she will be quicker than me and again the measurements reflect that.
snow report
Sweamrs has hit over 100kph that was verified by speed trap. Before the finger wagging starts that was on a fully closed course with full netting on either side and she was actually racing (i.e as safe as doing motorway speeds will ever be).

When she's "just cruising" with me the Garmin Fenix 5 records speeds in the 60 to 70 kph range which doesn't seem unreasonable.
latest report
@Oleski, @philwig, +1

And @sweaman22, a Garmin Fenix 5 is going to be far far more accurate than any SmartPhone so that makes sense!

For road cycling, good GPS units tend to cost circa €400 and there's a reason for that, even then you can get the occasional blip.

On Strava anyone that records their data with a Smartphone can expect some major inaccuracies on a ride.

On the mountain, I use a Suunto Peak watch and again whilst way more accurate than a smartphone, which is invariably stuffed in a pocket, that still is not as good as a dedicated GPS unit that you use on a bike.

Anyway I'm not interested in speed achieved but sadly height actually climbed physically rolling eyes
latest report
There can be absolutely no doubting the accuracy of Ski Tracks data.

I don’t know how to post the screenshot but last year I recorded

2695.9 kph

It’s on the screen so it must be true
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
The gps tracks are accurate as well. .

The main problem is not with coordinates, which represent the track, but with altitude which the GPS device needs to calculate the vertical component of your speed
latest report
"There's a huge technical difference between estimating the speed of a vehicle on a road for which you have geographical information and a skier on a slope."

Could you explain please?

"but with altitude which the GPS device needs to calculate the vertical component of your speed"

I saw consistent numbers for more leisurely speeds through the day, during which time the constellation would have changed totally.

The geoid error is a big problem but is consistent for a given location.
snow report
The issue with using this data is when you use it as a group and it’s generates dangerous competition Confused
A number of years ago a group of us were skiing at Stubai. We all had ski tracks and it degenerated into who could ski the fastest. Between the 4 of us on the same run (hard packed but smooth starting at 3225m) we all achieved over 90kph with my peak of 105.6kph Shocked Ended up with the nickname “Straight Line Steve” spoo
snow conditions
Anyone done a measured speed run with their phone/GPS watch for comparison? Did you get the same readings?
snow report
@Scarlet, haven’t but can. Will repot back next week.

My argument that 93kph is really based on ... I know when I have gone faster than that on a short straight race course on SG skis and in a catsuit and it was both hard to get to that speed in the available distance and quite fast enough thank you to understand that getting to that speed in normal ski clothes on a normal piste on punter skis would be difficult and unpleasant.

And truly irresponsible on a public slope. Even if likely. Which it isn’t.

My Polar typically peaks around 70kph. In Monterosa last year, on empty pistes, my Bro’s Garmin and my Polar were in general agreement in the high 70s.

Back home on Monday, poss not skiing as have guests for the week. Will test once back up hill.
latest report
@under a new name, You should make it a proper experiment, as far as you can. Do several of the same run in a catsuit and in normal ski gear. We need pics (of the gear) for proper evaluation, obvs Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My wife and I both ran skitracks app on our phones for a recent trip with mixed results. At the start of the week both seemed very varied, diffent lift counts, piste distance and the speeds were a joke, 145kpm for me which was wildly inaccurate. Towards the end of the week we more or less had the same readings and our top speeds(not chased for just enjoyed) were more or less the same (68/71 ave). Seems the app settles down with repetition. Cross ref with skilines the distances and vertical feet skied were much of a muchness.
I must stress no scientists were hurt during these wildly vague none accurate and cheap app experiments of vanity based around a winter sport!
snow report
Speed recorded seems to depend on both phone and app being used, as well as the odd anomaly popping up from time to time.

I use Maprika generally (not so much for speed, but more because I like that it shows your day's track mapped onto the piste map). When run side by side with SkiTracks, it shows consistently lower speeds than SkiTracks - I assume the sampling is over slightly longer periods, so more averaged.

Apple phones also seem to consistently show faster speeds than Samsung. We noticed this when people who were skiing slower seemed to show faster speeds. Out of curiosity we tried with one person with both phones - up to a 10kph difference was recorded using the same software. No idea why.

Individual peaks should be treated with caution - this seems to be where the anomalies creep in. You can also see surprising variation in speed on the Maprika trace when sitting on a lift, which are usually pretty constant speed.

I am doubtful about some of the really high speeds recorded in normal recreational skiing, and the "I went fastest" element is clearly dangerous - but inevitable....
latest report
I compared Skitracks with some satnav apps in a car, driven carefully to achieve a specific peak speed and not go past it again. I could not get any significant errors.

It is a good argument about the slope of the slope, so to speak. GPS uses doppler shift to get a "true 3D" velocity, but the number presented in the API is likely to be 2D. However, this argument works the opposite way: the real velocity is even higher than the displayed value.
ski holidays
GPS make spurious mistakes, apps interpret the data wrong. Among other things in the last year my Garmin has variously recorded me doing 58mph cycling UP one of the hills the Tour of Britain regularly uses as a king of the mountains climb, 40mph while out hiking and 30mph canoing on a canal! All single data points and all obviously wrong. Also between them and using the same data from my Quatix 5 watch Garmin Connect, Strava and Mapmyrun agreed on the location of my max speed on the Ride London last year but variously reported it as 49mph (which feels about right and looks consistent with the speeds either side of it), 62mph and 106mph (which are both single data points with speeds in the mid 40s either side of them). Don't rely on a single peak value, look at the profile either side of it to see if it seems reasonable.
ski holidays
Warning: unless you are experiencing problems sleeping, then I don't advise reading any further ...
There is an outline explanation of GPS derived altitude here https://eos-gnss.com/elevation-for-beginners, but even with WAAS (higher accuracy receivers from additional ground stations widely used in aircraft), aircraft are generally not allowed to use the altitude calculation below 300ft (they switch to local radio beam based landing assist systems for approaches in poor visibility) - because there are potentially hundreds of feet difference between the actual surface of the earth and any (necessarily approximate) mathematical model of that surface. I don't know of any phones using WAAS GPS - so the vertical accuracy is far, far less. The horizontal x, y accuracy however is fairly good using one of the mathematical models for the approximate surface for even non WAAS GPS - which is why you can overlay it on a map and use it for lat/long navigation.

To give an idea why we use various mathematical models rather than a stored map of the surface height - the earth has a surface area of about 510 million square kilometres, with about 150 million square kilometres above the sea. If for example you wanted to store the "actual" (above mean sea level) height as a 1m grid then you would need 150million x 1 million = 150 x 10 (power of 14) which would take about 450,000 Gigabytes of storage (with the largest iPhone offering only 512 Gigabytes for example). Fundamentally, this is difficult to store on portable devices, so an approximate model is used!
snow report
That's all true (except the bit about 300ft which is nonsense; it may be a reference to cat3 autoland which uses a radalt for the last 150ft or so; anyway aviation uses barometric altitude, not GPS altitude, in all phases of flight) for positioning, but GPS doesn't get the velocity that way.

It doesn't take consecutive position points and divide the distance moved by the time. That would produce huge jitter in the velocity.

Velocity comes out separately, from doppler shift.

WAAS is something else, but it doesn't affect the velocity calculation. The altitude calculation is only slightly more accurate.
ski holidays
Peter Stevens wrote:
I compared Skitracks with some satnav apps in a car, driven carefully to achieve a specific peak speed and not go past it again.

You do understand the difference between map assisted car location tracking, where vertical speed doesn't make all that much difference due to very gentle gradients (motorways are rarely more than 3-4 degrees, the steepest street in the world is 19 degrees), and tracking an alpine skier where altitude variation drastically changes speed calculation?

Peter Stevens wrote:

but the number presented in the API is likely to be 2D.

API does give you the altitude, but the accuracy is dubious as has been said before. https://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html#getAltitude()

Quote:
However, this argument works the opposite way: the real velocity is even higher than the displayed value.

No it doesn't work the opposite way, the app uses the altitude for speed calculations and it's grossly inaccurate
ski holidays
The app should use the doppler shift derived number for velocity.

The Q here is whether it uses the 2D or the 3D velocity. I will do some digging...
snow report
@Peter Stevens, Doppler shift calculations are not always available end even when they are, they are not that accurate either when it comes to mountain profiles, as you need the visible satellites to be sufficiently apart to get accurate speed components .

from the same APi documentation https://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html#getSpeedAccuracyMetersPerSecond()

they give 68% probability to have the correct speed within +-accuracy interval with Doppler factored in. In other words, little better than hit or miss. What that accuracy will be in in mountain conditions - hard to say. Does SkiTracks display it anywhere?
ski holidays
Peter Stevens wrote:
The app should use the doppler shift derived number for velocity.
Clearly they do not, or their results would not be wildly inaccurate.

Apps must use the API provided by the platform they're running on. That's part of what being an application means.
App developers do not have access to the hardware, they run on a "platform" (Android or iOS).

For Android the interface is the "Location API", and here's the speed bit.

Some application developers simply calculate speed from change in position - you can google down examples of code doing precisely that on Stack
Overflow. They probably do this because not all devices support getSpeed() as the API states. Some strategies for developers are here.

As already pointed out, if you don't have a good model of the terrain (like a "road map" GIS, for example...) then this sort of processing is likely to be
significantly less accurate because you can't "snap" location data to the model you don't have.

Below is one bit of the API which defective applications don't put on screen.

public float getSpeedAccuracyMetersPerSecond wrote:

Get the estimated speed accuracy of this location, in meters per second.
We define speed accuracy at 68% confidence. Specifically, as 1-side of the 2-sided range above and below the estimated speed reported by getSpeed(), within which there is a 68% probability of finding the true speed.
In the case where the underlying distribution is assumed Gaussian normal, this would be considered 1 standard deviation.
For example, if getSpeed() returns 5, and getSpeedAccuracyMetersPerSecond() returns 1, then there is a 68% probability of the true speed being between 4 and 6 meters per second.
Note that the speed and speed accuracy is often better than would be obtained simply from differencing sequential positions, such as when the Doppler measurements from GNSS satellites are used.
If this location does not have a speed accuracy, then 0.0 is returned.
snow report
@oui4ski, ...or download the answer from a public database:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3284641
snow conditions
I am sure the terrain mapping factor is totally irrelevant to getting velocity out of GPS.

IOW, the speed accuracy of a car satnav app does not depend on it knowing that the road is a road, etc. You can test this by taking it up in a plane.

Here is some reading on the various methods
https://insidegnss.com/how-does-a-gnss-receiver-estimate-velocity/
but one is none the wiser on (a) what smartphones actually do and (b) whether the velocity is the 2D or the 3D value.

The above 68% comment suggests that doppler velocity is NOT being used, which would explain why phones might be poor at calculating a maximum velocity if the velocity is widely varying and/or the heading is varying rapidly also. In the satnav context none of these are happening.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy