Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off to Obertauern, Zauchensee, Grosseck-Speiereck

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Obertauern, Zauchensee, Grosseck-Speiereck on 29th, anyone give me an idea of what the conditions are like at the moment?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bob, Zauchensee has had a little top-up overnight, but was already in good condition with all pistes and lifts open. Warm temperatures are forecast this weekend, but possibly a little snow on Friday morning.

I can't comment on Obertauern, I tend to avoid it, and I've never been to Lungau (planning to soon though!), but I'd imagine conditions to be similar to Zauchensee.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bob, was in Obertauern 2 weeks ago. We had over a metre of snow 4th/5th of the month. If its piste skiing your after, you are fine, it will last quite a while.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, hi , is there a reason you tend to avoid Obertauern ?its just we’re off there in two weeks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Paul334, my honest answer is this:

1. It's very high, no trees, so poor visibility is very common.
2. It's not a town as such, but a purpose-built ski resort, therefore all tourists no locals. Huts are more expensive, pistes generally busy and standards generally lower.
3. The pistes are short with little variety, and many of them cross/merge.
4. There are simply many other ski areas locally that I far prefer.

Having said that, on a sunny day, Obertauern can be great, especially if you manage to get away from the pinch points. Gamsleiten 2 is a challenge!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@queenie pretty please, honesty is always best ! We’ve never been to this area before so thought it would be a good place to start , hopefully the sun will shine on us , thanks for the info !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been twice. Obertauern ticks many boxes particularly from the snow quantity+quality and après POV, and Grosseck is a really nice small area on the same lift pass a short bus ride away. Hope you have fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have been a few times
We choose it because it's high
Usually great skiing but agree it can be bleak if storm blows in
Other area on pass is more sheltered on a windy day and about twenty minutes on free bus
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Paul334, my honest answer is this:

1. It's very high, no trees, so poor visibility is very common.
2. It's not a town as such, but a purpose-built ski resort, therefore all tourists no locals. Huts are more expensive, pistes generally busy and standards generally lower.
3. The pistes are short with little variety, and many of them cross/merge.
4. There are simply many other ski areas locally that I far prefer.

Having said that, on a sunny day, Obertauern can be great, especially if you manage to get away from the pinch points. Gamsleiten 2 is a challenge!

Yep, can be very unpleasant, I went for two weeks back in the 90's, it was bitterly cold, visability was sh**, windy, but when the sun came out for the last two days it was brilliant.
Limited vertical is particularly challenging, I've learned over the years to make the most of what there is, we'll be skiing a couple of other areas to keep it varied.
Generally I find it a good safe resort for guarenteed snow, good long season too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bob, Grosseck has become an absolute new favourite of mine, was up there this Monday, perfect spring snow. We spent all morning off piste hardly saw,a soul. The place itself was pretty busy but somehow the pistes always seemed uncrowded. Was also in Zauch yesterday all day off piste, was really great, quite cold up high so there was powder to be had, the pistes themselves are in fantastic condition, my only grumble is there were queues of about 10 to 15 mins which we arent used to here at all!! But it is the busiest time now so will calm back down for March and April. If you want to meet up just send a pm, we'd be happy to show you around!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bob, you may also want to try Katschberg and Fanningberg , they are a stones throw away and also well worth a visit for the day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"It's very high, no trees, so poor visibility is very common."

While poor visibility days are no fun, I normally see this as a big pro. More snow-sure and I loooooove the wide open treeless spaces. Absolutely love them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kooky, I haven't been to the area for about 5 years. anticipation is getting me going....

The SuperSki pass used to be the best way to access to lungau and Zauchensee is it still the best solution?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bob, yes Superski pass includes Ski Amadé, Obertauern, Lungau, and much more too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bob, agree with most of what @queenie pretty please, says. We went for the absolute ski in ski out with a family including a one year old. 2 adults with very little skiing experience. I will say that other than our group we did not hear one English speaking voice all week. The resort was fine, but two days were lost to the storm that gave the metre of snow. We had also been twice before, so we knew what we were getting. If it was just my wife and me, then Zermatt is where we are off in a couple of weeks!
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:
@Bob, agree with most of what @queenie pretty please, says. We went for the absolute ski in ski out with a family including a one year old. 2 adults with very little skiing experience. I will say that other than our group we did not hear one English speaking voice all week. The resort was fine, but two days were lost to the storm that gave the metre of snow. We had also been twice before, so we knew what we were getting. If it was just my wife and me, then Zermatt is where we are off in a couple of weeks!

I was there 20 years ago, staying at the very nice Hotel Marietta. The only English spoken in the Hotel was at reception....the Menu was in German and the Waiter spoke Polish and German.

I was on my own, so joined a top class.....no English spoken there either. One of the class was a Computer Programmer and spoke enough English to translate.

It's interesting that you found few English voices 20 years later.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, none on this occasion! It was February 1st though, so some may have held off.
snow conditions
Drove across to Zauchensee yesterday, an absolutely superb day (haven't been there for about 5 yes), light fresh snow, hardly a tone out, ski routes were brillan.t with fresh snow on.
Back in Obertauern today, quite windy at the moment, unlikely to see G2 open today. But every thing has got about 6 inches of fresh snow on it.
ski holidays
@Bob, thanks for the update, we I’ll be there Saturday couple of questions! , is Zauchensee covered on the Obertauern lift pass ? , when the wind picks up is there enough to ski from mid station down ? Most importantly have you found a good after ski bar you can recommend Very Happy
ski holidays
Question no 1 all ready been answered-, yes Superski pass includes Ski Amadé, Obertauern, Lungau, and much more , must have missed it with the upcoming holiday excitement!!!
latest report
No problems skiing down in Obertauern regardless of the wind. Zauchensee is easy to ski down to the arena/village, although the lower half of the run down to Flachauwinkl suffers a bit if it's warm, or sunny, but still a good 'exercise'. Obertauern was bloody amazing today, powder everywhere, off piste on zehnerkar was magic.
snow report
Sad that the season has finished, here's a couple of short segments from Obertauern and Grosseck we took at the beginning of March.
Busted the helmet cam, so this is taken with my old Lumix.

http://youtube.com/v/Kbg5fGN5NWU

Altogether a really superb week, pretty good conditions all week. Daughter had the best ski trip ever..

Can't wait until next season!!!
snow report
@Bob, great video ! Got back late last night ( Salzburg to Edinburgh, jet2 want their a#@e kicked for there communication over last 48 hours but that’s a whole other thread!) loved Obertauern, great village , we’ve skied 6/7 weeks -Obertauern ski area was absolutely perfect for us
Gutted for everyone that’s put a lot of time effort and money in to their ski holiday that is no longer available/cancelled!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy