Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Mittersill (30km south of Kitzbuhel)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone

Assuming we are still going that is, we are planning at least to be going to Mittersill (near Kitz) this Saturday flying into Munich and hiring a car. Seen as the shops will be mostly closed on Sunday near us I was wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere convenient and if possible good value to stop en-route from Munich Airport to Mittersill? We will be landing at 1.45pm so envisage getting on the road about 3pm maybe (tell me if that is optimistic) so could feasibly get to Mittersill before the shops close at 6pm but would rather not risk it and just go somewhere en-route. Any suggestions would be gladly received as well as any route tips. In my other post on Munich vs Salzburg there was a bit of a split between going to Worgl or coming off at Kufstein but I am not sure looking at it my self.

Any and all advice gladly appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@klang180, in general all shops are closed on Sundays in Bavaria and Austria. However, there are a few exceptions. The type of convenience supermarkets in airports, main railway stations and service stations are likely to be open during the day. These can be rather expensive so better to just buy a few essentials for your first day. Some ski towns do have limited (4 hour) supermarket opening on Sundays during the ski season. On this basis I'd say the supermarkets are more likely to be open in Kitzbühel than Mittersill, Kufstein or Wörgl.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@klang180, check out the MPreis website https://www.mpreis.at/sp/standorte#c which shows location and opening times of all branches. Mpreis is a great supermarket. Lots of their branches in ski resorts open until 1800 on sundays (which is unusual as QPP says). You’ll drive past plenty of their branches between MUC and Mittersill.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@klang180, there is a supermarket at the airport directly opposite the car hire desks. It is a branch of a large German chain, Edeka. As far as I know prices are around the same as in the other branches. I doubt the supermarkets in Mittersill will be open on Sunday (no harm in checking but it is normally only the larger tourist places) but maybe Kitzbühel. Assuming you land on time you should be able to to stop in either Kufstein or Wörgl before closing time and if you get there before 18:00 there are two supermarkets you will drive past in Hopfgarten.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Billa in the centre of Kitz isn't open on a Sunday. The big one on the outskirts may be, but I doubt it as the big MPris down the road in Oberndorf wasn't.

I'd second the suggestion of picking up some basics at the supermarket by the car rental in the airport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone.

I checked on google and it does say that the Hofer is open on Sunday but from 2-6pm and that the Billa is open 9-1 but i have reason to be weary of Google times having been caught out many times. We also would prefer to get at least a couple of days supplies on the Saturday so that we are not worried about it on our first day on the slopes.

Sounds like we will have plenty of options though so no worries, perhaps the place opposite the airport or somewhere further along the route like Kuffstein or Worgl (will we even go that way?).

What are people's recommendations on the route to take at that time of the afternoon on a Saturday?

p.s. still worried we might not actually be advised to go because of Co-19 but that's another post entirely.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks pretty straightforward from the airport to the border but should we come off at Kustein Sud (or Nord so we can go to the shop?) or carry on to Worgl Ost and will the former avoid tolls? I read somewhere that the local police don't like people going the 173 route as it is seen as a dodge of the toll but is this true?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@klang180, sorry, I misread that you are arriving on Saturday. Supermarkets will be open until 6 everywhere. As to the route, this is where our dear departed friend Samerberg Sue would have been able to help. I'm afraid I am rubbish, I don't drive over to Tirol very often and when I do it's a totally different route. I'm sure someone here can help.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@klang180, it probably makes little odds whether you go via Scheffau / Ellmau or the road up the Brixental via Hopfgarten. The second option is probably a bit quicker but it does really mean coming off at Wörgl Ost. The traffic is unlikely to be bad this Saturday afternoon so I would personally not mess about on the 171 but pay the €10 if you are going this route. Mittersill is a fair drive from Munich but the weather forecast is good so it should not be problematic
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The shops are open Sunday in Mittersill. Billa is open in the mornings and Hofer ( aldi) 2pm to 6pm. Turn left at round about.I think m preis is also open in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are in Mittersill, leave motorway at Kufstein south, at the moment you do not need the vignette for that small section of Austrian motorway. Follow signs for Felbertauen tunnel, when you get to Going you can turn left to Reith being Kitzbuhel this is a little windy but cuts off a big corner.
Any other query please ask.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks very much all, very helpful as always!

Looks like we should be fine then.

Thanks Teletart, will do as you say and avoid the toll, unless of course google says it is horrendous that way but i think coronavirus has at least had the effect of putting people off travelling around a bit.

Tele are there any fears about Corona in resort and do you get any sense that they will close anything just yet? I am so worried about getting trapped there and unable to come back!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to clarify, when you get to Going, you turn RIGHT to Reith just as you pass the Stanglewirt. Then when you get to the next junction turn left for Kitz, through the tunnel, then right immediately. That's then the main road to Mittersill. Most of the supermarkets in the larger towns open for 3 hours or so on a Sunday at varying times. But as Munich Irish has said, the supermarket at the airport by the car hire is as good as anywhere, and the prices are the same as anywhere else. Especially for the basics.
If you land at 1-45 in Munich, you`ll easily be away by 3. But Id shop there and get going. The later the better, though this Saturday isn't one of the busier changeover days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@klang180, the route doesn't avoid the toll, the toll is not implemented at the moment so ignore the signs for vignette.

Everything running normally,
Will you have the Salzburg super ski pass? Hock Krimmel had wonderful snow the other day.
Resorts are all good, some warm weather coming up but still lots of snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jafa wrote:
Just to clarify, when you get to Going, you turn RIGHT to Reith just as you pass the Stanglewirt. Then when you get to the next junction turn left for Kitz, through the tunnel, then right immediately. That's then the main road to Mittersill. Most of the supermarkets in the larger towns open for 3 hours or so on a Sunday at varying times. But as Munich Irish has said, the supermarket at the airport by the car hire is as good as anywhere, and the prices are the same as anywhere else. Especially for the basics.
If you land at 1-45 in Munich, you`ll easily be away by 3. But Id shop there and get going. The later the better, though this Saturday isn't one of the busier changeover days.

Thanks jafa that's great advice, sounds like we could have come unstuck without it.
snow report
Teletart wrote:
@klang180, the route doesn't avoid the toll, the toll is not implemented at the moment so ignore the signs for vignette.

Everything running normally,
Will you have the Salzburg super ski pass? Hock Krimmel had wonderful snow the other day.
Resorts are all good, some warm weather coming up but still lots of snow.

Oh really why is the toll not implemented at the moment?

We didn't intend to get the super pass but I'll be looking at it now as it sounds interesting. We had intended to ski kitz area from thurn pass but can't hurt to have options.
ski holidays
It was altered back again that you can revert to going as far as Kufstein south without the requirement for one. This was always the case until about four years ago when they said you couldn't cross the border into Austria without one.

Id stick to Kufstein South/Scheffau/Going/St Johan, turn right towards Kitzbuhel, then just stay on that road. The signpost you need when you leave the Autobahn is Felbertauern. Saves worrying about Reith direction. So youd be following the same roadsign all the way to dropping down into Mittersill.
snow conditions
Hochkrimmel is nice, glad to hear it has good conditions.
latest report
I would say that Edeka in the airport would be the best bet - I never find the prices steap there, and you can get all the basics:-)
ski holidays
I would say that Edeka in the airport would be the best bet - I never find the prices steap there, and you can get all the basics:-)
ski holidays
from Mittersill, you have great access to Kitzbuhel ski area, pass Thurn is a good place to park, with ski buses back to there from Kitzbuhel, Jockberg.
Hoch Krimmel and Zillertal 40 min drive. Wild kogel, Bramberg, 7 min drive. Kaprun and Kitzstein horn 20 min drive, Saalbach Hinterglemm, 45 min drive. All on the Salzburg super ski card.
snow report
jafa wrote:
It was altered back again that you can revert to going as far as Kufstein south without the requirement for one. This was always the case until about four years ago when they said you couldn't cross the border into Austria without one.

Id stick to Kufstein South/Scheffau/Going/St Johan, turn right towards Kitzbuhel, then just stay on that road. The signpost you need when you leave the Autobahn is Felbertauern. Saves worrying about Reith direction. So youd be following the same roadsign all the way to dropping down into Mittersill.

Thanks, great info, will follow this.
latest report
DanishRider wrote:

Thanks, that sounds great.
snow report
Teletart wrote:
from Mittersill, you have great access to Kitzbuhel ski area, pass Thurn is a good place to park, with ski buses back to there from Kitzbuhel, Jockberg.
Hoch Krimmel and Zillertal 40 min drive. Wild kogel, Bramberg, 7 min drive. Kaprun and Kitzstein horn 20 min drive, Saalbach Hinterglemm, 45 min drive. All on the Salzburg super ski card.

Awesome, sounds like it has an amazing variety of places within easy reach. Looking forward to it, let's hope it all stays open!
snow report
But don't drive up the hill to the Gondola for Kitz, drive west along the valley just passed Hollersbach and you will see the Panarama Bahn rising up from the valley. Its got a great place to go after a days skiing as well. Something I think the new Flek is missing
snow report
jafa wrote:
But don't drive up the hill to the Gondola for Kitz, drive west along the valley just passed Hollersbach and you will see the Panarama Bahn rising up from the valley. Its got a great place to go after a days skiing as well. Something I think the new Flek is missing

If you go the Hollersbach life it is a gondola, I go to Pass Thurn and take the chair lift up.
latest report
So you go past Pass Thurn, to Resterhohe? Each to their own. That's certainly a cracking run down.
snow conditions
jafa wrote:
So you go past Pass Thurn, to Resterhohe? Each to their own. That's certainly a cracking run down.

Trying to stay away from gondolas at the minute, due to the current situation, I think the chair lifts are healthier.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Teletart wrote:
jafa wrote:

Trying to stay away from gondolas at the minute, due to the current situation, I think the chair lifts are healthier.

This is our plan but based almost entirely on the fact one of our party does not like gondolas.

Did you fly in? We've got tickets booked but can cancel (reward flights) in favour of driving from the UK as we figure this will be a lot less risk.
latest report
klang180 wrote:
Teletart wrote:
jafa wrote:

This is our plan but based almost entirely on the fact one of our party does not like gondolas.

Did you fly in? We've got tickets booked but can cancel (reward flights) in favour of driving from the UK as we figure this will be a lot less risk.

We drove but plan to be here untill the end of the month. But yes less risk driving I would think.
snow report
Teletart wrote:
klang180 wrote:
Teletart wrote:
jafa wrote:

We drove but plan to be here untill the end of the month. But yes less risk driving I would think.

Yeah that is my thinking, it has to be less risky from an exposure point of view AND a getting back point of view. Statistically however it could be more dangerous as we all know road travel is far far more dangerous than flying. There is also the small issue of not having any winter tyres on our car which again increases the risks. It is a bit of a conundrum.
snow conditions
@klang180, winter tyres are mandatory in Austria from 1st November to 15th April.
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
@klang180, winter tyres are mandatory in Austria from 1st November to 15th April.

Hey Queenie, aren't they mandatory in wintry conditions? I don't think they are a legal requirement to have on it is just that if wintry conditions strike i.e. snow, sleet, ice then you are effectively stranded or driving illegally.

"From 1 November to 15 April you may only drive in winter conditions, such as icy roads or roads covered in snow or slush, if you have winter tyres fitted. If you are caught without winter tyres in Austria in such conditions, you will be fined €35.

If other road users are endangered by your non-compliance to drive with winter tyres in Austria, the fine can be as high as €5,000."

It isn't without considerable risk but is still not quite mandatory.
snow conditions
I'm so sorry but your planned trip won't be happening, everything closing this Sunday.
Let's hope we all stay well, and now our thoughts have to be will all the winter sports providers who are hit by this.
Let's look forward to better times next winter.
latest report
Teletart wrote:
I'm so sorry but your planned trip won't be happening, everything closing this Sunday.
Let's hope we all stay well, and now our thoughts have to be will all the winter sports providers who are hit by this.
Let's look forward to better times next winter.

Yes we saw that and still can;t quite believe it, been looking forward to it for months and now just a day away and we cannot go, gutted. Sorry that you have to cut your trip short but at least you had some good times out there.

As you say, I am gutted to be missing a holiday but at least it isn't mu livelihood on the line!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy