Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Mindbender 108 - Sizing?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last week in Colorado I rented a pair of K2 Mindbender 108 and fell in love with them!

I’ve always had my own boots but rented skis but I’ve never connected with a pair quite like I did the K2.

I’m off to the Alps in a couple of weeks and I’ve decided to buy a pair of Mindbender 108 and my question relates to the most suitable length.

The pair I rented were 179cm and my stats are:

5’11
100kg
Intermediate / Advanced
Reasonably fast and aggressive but no expert!

Are the 179cm the right length or should I be looking at the 186??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
186 100%. I ski a 179cm ski and am 2 inches and 20kg down from you. If you are at all fast/aggressive then you'll need the stability of the longer ski, bearing in mind that the effective edge on a rockered ski is shorted than the tip to tail length.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice!
Looks like I’ll be returning the 179’s!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In general I'd have thought the size up would be better for you but I'm also struck that you loved the 179s.
You know that you would be happy with the 179s, you've tried them and they work for you. Buying something different because they should be better in theory has its risks!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster wrote:
In general I'd have thought the size up would be better for you but I'm also struck that you loved the 179s.
You know that you would be happy with the 179s, you've tried them and they work for you. Buying something different because they should be better in theory has its risks!

Agree with this ^^^ If you loved the 179’s it’s a big risk to get the longer ones hoping they will be better. It’s of course possible but probably more likely you’ll find them more cumbersome unless you have good technique. Assume there’s a reason the hire shop gave you 179’s?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
jedster wrote:

Agree with this ^^^ If you loved the 179’s it’s a big risk to get the longer ones hoping they will be better. It’s of course possible but probably more likely you’ll find them more cumbersome unless you have good technique. Assume there’s a reason the hire shop gave you 179’s?

Well I actually swapped to them on the last day of the trip because it dumped overnight and I wanted something wider than the Enforcer's I originally had.
All they had in were the 179 Mindbenders so i went for them.
The K2 immediately felt more stable at all speeds, especially going fast!

All my friends in the US ski on wide Icelantic's and as soon as I was on the 108 Mindbenders I suddenly realised that it was my skis that had been the reason i had to fight so hard to keep up! The K2 were like Cadillacs in comparison to the Enforcers or the Blizzard Brahma 88i was on before.

Now I'm torn as to what to do!!!

I'm a big strong guy and whilst I loved the 179, surely the 186 should be even better??

Is the 7cm going to make them feel much more cumbersome then?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puzzled

Any other advice?
I’m really stuck on what to do!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A lot depends on what type of terrain you will be skiing on. I'm an inch or two shorter and 24kg lighter than you and prefer a 185cm fat ski for powder and deep snow (still very nimble with the tip and tail rocker), but a 179cm Enforcer 104 Free as an all round ski, especially for tight tree skiing in cruddy conditions. If you like big arcing turns the longer length gives more stability, if you do a lot of bumps and tight turns then the shorter length gives an advantage for turning, but then why go for a more directional charging ski like the Mindbender? I'd say that if you like fast skiing then the 186cm would be better for your height and weight.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^
This. My guess is that when you are skiing big open spaces the 186 will be even better but in trees and couloirs you'll be thinking may be the 179s would have been better.
Everything is a compromise!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom_0787 wrote:
Puzzled

Any other advice?
I’m really stuck on what to do!

You really want the 116 C’s Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure it’s going to help.

I’m 90 kg and 185cm and ski my K2 Pinnacle 95 @ 177cm (my understanding is that the Mindbenders are updated, renamed Pinnacles) and for majority of my skiing, which is on piste I’m happy with the length. If I was going to buy again and skiing more powder, I would most likely go one size up in length and width.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys!
I’m going to go for the 186 and if I have any issues it just gives me an excuse to reserve them for pow and buy another set for groomers! Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tom_0787, Good plan Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom_0787 wrote:
Thanks guys!
I’m going to go for the 186 and if I have any issues it just gives me an excuse to reserve them for pow and buy another set for groomers! Toofy Grin

Scarpa wrote:
@Tom_0787, Good plan Laughing

+1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy