Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying your hire skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've really enjoyed skiing on my Scott Slight 83s this week. Longer and wider than most skis I've ever used, had so much fun that I wonder if I can take them home with me. Not much use in Croydon, but there's always next season. No idea about the condition, will they last, how old they are, how much they are and even how I'd get them home. Or is this just a bad idea?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dubmuffin, shop ought to have record of how rented they've been ...

But you might find them cheaper online...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A while ago i read hire skis are made slightly thicker to withstand more abuse/grinds, so therefore heavier. Not sure if it was true then, or now?
But bargains can be had at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dubmuffin, My bindings broke on my ski's whilst away once and I was forced to hire. I liked the skis (Dynastar Cham 87) and asked if I could buy them (the rental pair) but they wouldn't even give me a price.

In general, buying rentals isn't a great idea, as punters are clearly not going to take lots of care of them and the shop is going to be doing mass servicing. By definition they are going to get whacked out pretty quick.

I bought some new Cham 97's from glisshop or Ekosport when I got home.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you like them and they are in good condition ask. It's a no lose question - they may be glad for the extra cashflow at the end of the season. If not bear in mind @spyderjon has a good relationship with Scott and can likely do you a keen price on a pair with bindings of choice ( other retailers are available)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in StG last week (last few days of their season) & seen that one of the rental shops had Black Crows Magnis.
I bought my teen a pair of these just before Covid, he really liked them but as you can guess after 2 years of no skiing they are a bit short for him.
I asked if they were selling them, even asked if they were interested in a trade as his only have 10 days skiing on them.
Nope was the straight answer, told me that they were just in, never mind they were the 2019 model.
I have no idea how long they keep skis if they think a 2019 ski is just in
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, I'm not sure they make them any more, so new ones are not so easy to come by.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Maybe I can track down @spyderjohn for advice, I can only go by cosmetics and I have no idea about bindings!
@Jonny996, I'm hope they think 2019is new because they didn't get much use for 2 years. I suppose they may not even want to sell them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dubmuffin, I’ve bought 2 pairs of rental skis from the shop ( not for me, but for the kids ) after they’ve been used for week - admittedly, on one of these occasions, I didn’t even know I had, but that’s a different story……I’ll describe the first occasion as it’s less humorous though.

My lad had hired the exact same pair of skis ( when they were brand new ) on a previous holiday, and specifically requested that ski from the shop for the next hire the following season. He really enjoyed skiing on them. Upon returning the skis, I flippantly asked how much it would be to take them home, and the guys quickly inspected the bases, gave me a price, and said that they would include a service. The price was a very pleasant surprise, and I took them. Junior still skis them to this day. My advice? It costs nothing to ask the question???

The second occasion was a result of paying to hire a pair of skis ( brand new ) for the entire season for a very reasonable price, as the same lad was working as an instructor. Upon arranging return of said skis, the shop owner just shrugged his shoulders and said ‘they’re yours now’ Shocked we are good customers of said shop, but still !!!

To summarise, if you like what you’ve used, ask the question, you might get a pleasant surprise, especially if it’s the end of the season !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dubmuffin, @spyderjons website ( I think he is/was away on the EOSB) https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/tcpdf/contact-us

I'd 2nd picking up a new set of the same skis vs used hire skis
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jonny996 that was unlimited sports wasn't it? I tried a few different black crows from there, liked the ova birdies but they are not a current line and like you the dude wasn't interested in selling. I have seen other rental skis for sale there before though, and he does sell other ex rental equipment.

We had a bit of a chat to him and he said that black crows don't give him any sort of a discount on the purchase price, with covid hitting last year the skis probably haven't been used that much so he's keen to try and make more from them before offloading.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also, whatever rail bindings he has put on them are more expensive than normal non rental bindings so that's probably a factor.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dubmuffin, if you happen to be a 178 they’re available here for 375chf including bindings which looks a good deal

https://www.snowleader.ch/fr/pack-slight-83-2020-BUND04805.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpImTBhCmARIsAKr58cx5r0iHaa_76AnCX6EFYY9_P5e5HfPhvWyAQw0E44d6N2s0TrI5WFwaAseJEALw_wcB
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, 168 but thanks, that's helpful
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dubmuffin wrote:
@BobinCH, 168 but thanks, that's helpful

168 is available from Glisshop for £412 https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/scott/alpine-ski-set-slight-83-e-bindings34023109
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
belette wrote:
@jonny996 that was unlimited sports wasn't it? I tried a few different black crows from there, liked the ova birdies but they are not a current line and like you the dude wasn't interested in selling. I have seen other rental skis for sale there before though, and he does sell other ex rental equipment.

We had a bit of a chat to him and he said that black crows don't give him any sort of a discount on the purchase price, with covid hitting last year the skis probably haven't been used that much so he's keen to try and make more from them before offloading.

Yes that’s the guy & I can see his point about wanting to keep them for another season to recoup money but I was offering him a virtually brand new set of same skis in 147 size + 100€ for a set of the 171 size, so he would still make the return on the 147’s.
Seemed strange to not even think about it, they are same retail price regardless of size
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy