Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I upgrade my freestyle skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have an old pair of 2012 Armada Halo skis in 176cm. I haven't used these of for at least 5 years. I'm thinking of moving back to an all mountain/freestyle hybrid and using these skis on my next trip. This is because I'm getting away from just carving and doing a bit more freestyle/off piste/bumps.

I found the performance of these skis suited me well over the whole mountain when I used them before.

I usually ride piste carving skis but so the Halos are in pretty good condition still.

I'd like to know if it's worth sticking with these or upgrading to something more modern please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Henwc wrote:
I have an old pair of 2012 Armada Halo skis in 176cm. I found the performance of these skis suited me well over the whole mountain when I used them before.

Henwc wrote:
the Halos are in pretty good condition still.

Henwc wrote:
I'd like to know if it's worth sticking with these or upgrading to something more modern please?

What are you trying to achieve by upgrading a pair of skis in good condition that suited you well?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Henwc, They aren't terribly wide by today's standards - but should be perfectly fine in bumps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only reason I can think of for upgrading is that they are over 10 years old and the technology might have moved on. I'm no expert on ski tech though so I thought I'd ask on here.

Looking at the modern equivalent (Armada BDOG) there are a few changes that make them a bit more park focussed but nothing stands out that will be a game changer in a good way. Sounds like the best plan is to use the Halos for my next trip and see how I get on.

Given they are park skis it seems better to keep them going until I hit a problem with the design or they break on a box or rail etc. I also like the fun graphics more than the more serious looking designs that seem popular now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My view would be to hang onto them while the skis are in decent condition and the bindings are safe.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Service the edges, wax the bases, then send em as they say in modern parlance Very Happy

At least you'll find out where they fit it with your current perspective, to then make the decision more decisively.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know much about the versatility of park skis but if they worked all mountain before and that is what you are going to be doing it seems a no brainer.

My only question would be whether the bindings have degraded (they could have despite or because of being in storage). And only a ski tech could tell you that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check here and see if The Piste Office are near you... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104118

Lambley, Nottingham

They may be able to help with servicing them or indicate if they are past their best.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks All, sounds like it's certainly best to give them another run. The Piste Office are a bit too far away but I'll get a basic service and ask the for a binding safety check when I get the chance
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Update, the skis failed a binding safety check and after a chat with the ski tech (Glacier sport Saas Fee) I decided to get rid of the skis because there were issues with the connection of the bindings with the skis. I don't know the technical term.

Looks like I'm in the market for some new skis after all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy