Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is it like to be a British ski instructor in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m thinking of doing a season, ski instructing in Austria. With a BASI 2 qualification and intermediate German skills, how much on average can you expect to make? And if so, how much in tips too?

Have lived in Austria before as a student but in the city. The accommodation and utilities were cheaper but food etc more expensive so averaged about the same as in UK. Is this true for Austrian ski resorts as well? And any recommendations on good resorts for work?

thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lski, as it's already February I assume you mean next season, for which you will need a work permit to work in the EU (if you are a British, i.e. non-EU citizen that is). I also think that you would need an Austrian ski instructor qualification rather than British, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can verify that. I do know that the pay is pretty low.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can work in Austria as a BASI 2, you need to apply to the authorities in whichever state you want to work in for a Bescheid (recognition of qualification). Means you can then work as an Anwaerter.

You won't necessarily need a permit for next winter, it starts before the end of the transition period, so moving to Austria to work is still possible, you'd then need to apply for a residence visa once there (exact details are as yet unknown).

Tips vary, so hard to say as it depends on both the instructor and the client. Wage for an Anwaerter is about 12 Euro an hour, what's included for the ski school varies, e.g. some provide free accommodation, others subsidise it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a BASI instructor I am not sure you would walk into a job as Austrian ski schools think poorly of the BASI qualification- you may well be asked to take an Anwärter course at your cost to get a position. Having done this myself back in the EARLY 90's - before Austria was in the EU, (so a similar scenario to us not being), you needed to go to the local arbeitsampt (employment office) and get an arbeitsbewilligung (work permit)- then go see all the local ski schools and see if they need someone. It isnt your sketchy German that matters to them, they have plenty of Deutsche speakers in Austria - they will most likely need you for English school groups in February and the rest of the time you will be the goto for British punters who are beginners. All intermediate groups and above will likely go to the local instructors. My advice is pick your resort and go ahead of your planned season in summer - speak to Head of Ski School to nail down a gig- ask if they will provide you a letter advising they need naturalised English speakers. That helps getting the work visa.

My experience was tips were good and accomodation is chaotic but fun as you will house share with a load of other instructors and potentially room share as well. As for the punters most will buy your beers at apres. Most bars have a Stammtisch table for instructors and if you bring in groups you will get preferential prices on beers even when you are off shift. Dont get bladdered in your Reds - its not the done thing wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No offence, but the early 90's were almost 30 years ago, times have changed... I know of a number of people who have got jobs with Austrian ski school as BASI instructors, and no need to do the Anwaerter. As for what visas may or may not be required for next season, nobody yet knows, but freedom of movement can continue until the end of this year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@lski, I quizzed a few British ski instructors in the Tyrol a couple of years back. They may have had the red uniform but not a qualification between them. I think the local ski school just turned a blind eye to all that silly regulatory stuff in favour of making money, especially in high season. Simple trick, punters respect a uniform and a badge and don't ask further. I'm not going to say the village because I hear it is pretty general. If you can snowplough and hockey stop you can teach would be the mantra.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pruman, really? In the country of cash only bars, no receipts, smoke where you like, what you like....
I find that very hard to believe!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bodeswell wrote:
@Pruman, really? In the country of cash only bars, no receipts, smoke where you like, what you like....
I find that very hard to believe!

What are you talking about?
Here in Austria I pay often in bars with a credit card and always get offered the receipt when I do. Nobody is allowed to smoke in the bars as the owners know it‘s an €800 fine.
It‘s fairly common for there is be a shortage of ski instructors during the peak holidays times (e.g. in Feb). Quite a few Austrians have the anwarter qualification but don‘t normally teach as they have an office job in the city. Many just do one or two weeks a year teaching half days and getting ski pass & money to pay their holiday. Working only a few months of the year as a ski instructor doesn‘t bring in much money, most do something else or have some other form of income.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pruman wrote:
@lski, I quizzed a few British ski instructors in the Tyrol a couple of years back. They may have had the red uniform but not a qualification between them. I think the local ski school just turned a blind eye to all that silly regulatory stuff in favour of making money, especially in high season. Simple trick, punters respect a uniform and a badge and don't ask further. I'm not going to say the village because I hear it is pretty general. If you can snowplough and hockey stop you can teach would be the mantra.

You can teach kids in the kindergarten area without any formal qualification, it's what got me in to instructing. As a snowboarder, I could snowplough but definitely couldn't hockey stop at the time, and I swear by the end of the week the kids could ski better than me. We all had a fun week tho and didn't put anybody off skiing!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lski, Most ski schools in Austria will employ you as a Freelancer with BASI II qualifications. However this means you only earn when teaching and most Austrian Instructors also speak English. Therefore, you will be at the bottom of the queue except for peak holiday times and only when they run out of English speakers. If you intend to self-fund then you may have to think about a second job such as Bar Work to make ends meet. Alternatively, take a job with a tour company and ski when you can. You might be better off in Japan where everyone (except the locals) wants classes in English!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've just set up a whole website for sharing experiences as ski instructors at www.skiinstructordiaries.com one of our founders just worked a season in Austria and has done a blog post on it right here : www.skiinstructordiaries.com/articles/day-in-the-life-g , if you'd like any more info get in touch and we'd be happy to help out !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a rule of thumb, don't expect any tips from the French. In a small resort in Tirol you will only make about euros 50 after tax per day but if you are nice and ask around you might get a cheap room/bunk up with others. Good idea to look for bar work to keep things ticking over. That seems to pay better. Good luck.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

As a rule of thumb, don't expect any tips from the French

Do many French people learn to ski in Austria?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd be unlikely to tip an instructor who couldn't ski a LOT better than I can. As both the Austrian ski instructors I had in the past most definitely could.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite a few from France but obviously not like the Germans, Brits, Dutch, Scandis. All of these tend to speak good English. I think the French come because it is far cheaper than France and Switz etc. If you get the right instructor he or she will be terrific but I have always tipped everybody from when my children were about 3 because I knew the instructors were not being paid well. My children now teach a bit and I subsidise them. If, along with a friend of mine, we go off with a local guide, we will pay the guide well.
latest report
I've been a ski instructor in Austria for a few years now, if you want to know some more specifics send me a message! Not sure on the anwärter/BASI thing as we've not had any british colleagues in the time I worked there, but my guess is our ski school would probably require an anwärter qualification (on the kids beginner hill you can work without any qualification though). I'm pretty sure you won't get rich from working for an austrian ski school, in that case it might be better to go to switzerland (heard some good things about the wage there). I usually make 50 euros per day (before taxes, that is), pay 6.50 rent, and if your kids go to lunch with you your lunch is paid for, otherwise you have to pay for it yourself. Can't compare to the UK, but food is a little more expensive than in the Netherlands there; I would say drinks are a bit below Amsterdam level but not much (you do get a small discount as a ski teacher though, I think €2.90 for a beer? don't drink beer myself so i don't remember).

Our area mainly has dutch/german ski instructors, some austrians (some young ones, lot of older guys), and one canadian (I think he'll be mainly studying next year though).

By the way, from what I've heard St. Anton is always very international, so maybe there it might be possible to work with a BASI qualification?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy