Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Aravis ski resorts 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
Thought I'd start the thread early this year as I've been very impressed with the new 'eye in the sky' view of the pistes.
Here's the link and have a great season everyone.

https://www.legrandbornand.com/visite-virtuelle-domaine-skiable

Also, if you're interested in a season pass, the 'super' discounted rates for the Aravis and Grand Bornand passes are only available for another few days - until the 30th September.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Runs have been pisted in the Maroly sector in LGB - conditions look lovely - am wondering if they are going to go for a partial opening earlier than anticipated? Any thoughts gvj?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Partial opening of La Clusaz this Friday and over the weekend
https://www.laclusaz.com/domaine-skiable-la-clusaz.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @loatie, hi all. Sorry, bit slow off the mark this year..busy times.
So...what’s happening? Both LGB and La Clusaz opened officially this weekend just past. This seems to have had the usual effect on the snow base which got thoroughly rained on towards the end of last week hence the opening has been rather limited. To be fair, the previous week we were touring around the edges of the Maroly sector and had some of the best early season conditions we can remember- just a shame the cold didn’t last into this week. Most of the effort in LGB has been focused on getting the new Charmeaux lift up and running - I’m told it's going to be a big ask to have it all running smoothly for New Year so, for once, the resort is probably quite happy there’s not epic amounts of snow forecast for the holiday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to La Clusaz today, to l'Aiguille & Balme areas. Snow was lovely up high, mid-mountain OK, bit lumpy lower down with quite a few 'hard packed snow' warnings and ice marbles to deal with but nothing ridiculous. Not busy early on, more people out in the afternoon. Clear blue sky all day then some clouds forming as the sun went down but doesn't look like any weather rolling in tonight at least. One minor negative was that Le Plan blue back from Balme to La Clusaz was closed....so we had to go back up the mountain again to find our way back....so not that much of a negative really Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will be in LGB from 4th to 11th Jan. Anyone around and/or info on conditions?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi@jjsolly, we had good early snowfall here and so there’s a solid base. You’ll see from the LGB website that nearly the whole resort is currently open - also worth downloading the resort’s app if you have a smartphone - good for webcams and live lift/piste status.
Having said that there's no snow currently forecast and, for the French, new year week here is traditionally very popular so can’t say what it’ll be like 4-11th. They are very good at managing their snow here so I'm sure you’ll have a good time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in Chinaillon today and conditions are pretty good I would say. Pistes a tad firm in the afternoon, but that was easily solved by heading off the side into the skied out off piste which was exceedingly pleasant. The Freeride bowl off Lachat has very good cover but is already bumping up so give it a week of New Year skiers and they should be humungous!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @gvy and @offpisteskiing that all sounds ace. Much looking forward!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was lured in LGB on Sunday. Sunny day, perfect for a picnic. Bit of a surprise to start from a bus station (village lifts) rather than our usual Chinaillon parking. And annoyed we had to take the lift down - IMHO they should have used cannons and warned of the icy conditions rather than simply closing the piste. As it's hols AND weekend AND so close to Annecy it was nearly as crowded as La Clusaz.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

IMHO they should have used cannons and warned of the icy conditions rather than simply closing the piste

All I know of LGB is what I've seen in the last couple of days, but it looked to me like they've not been able to make enough snow (there were a couple of big piles waiting to be used) to be able to cope with the traffic down to the village if they did open the run - i.e. if they'd spread what they had, then I reckon it would all have been scraped away by the time half the people on Sunday had skied down it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
viv wrote:

All I know of LGB is what I've seen in the last couple of days, but it looked to me like they've not been able to make enough snow (there were a couple of big piles waiting to be used) to be able to cope with the traffic down to the village if they did open the run - i.e. if they'd spread what they had, then I reckon it would all have been scraped away by the time half the people on Sunday had skied down it

they've been bringing snow down from above Chinaillon by truck because it has been too warm to run the snowmaking. Since the start of December there has been no day with entirely negative temperatures and it has frequently been 6-7C in the village in the shade or warmer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, is quite correct. All the snow moving was concentrated on trying to ensure the biathlon world championships ran smoothly before Christmas. Nobody should expect the village run, Envers, to be open. There simply hasn’t been the weather for either the cannons to run or any snow to hang around below 1000m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been a lovely week on sunny slopes but no off piste really as very firm there still - light snow overnight last night and still Falling on and off as I’m looking out the window this morning. Very interesting to see the training for avalanche rescue dogs at the bottom of piste 2000 during the week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just finished 3 days in Zermatt in similarly sunny conditions, currently sat at Geneva Airport where I'll be again in ten days to head to Grand-Bornand.

Sounds like there's going to need to be a BIG change in the weather to get the conditions I was hoping for. Fingers crossed!
snow report
So what are the conditions like in Aravis at the moment? Still 7 weeks from a potential visit but it would be good to understand the base Smile
ski holidays
Am heading to La Clusaz tomorrow, looks like they've had a bit of snow recently with some more forecast next week.
snow report
I got back from there / Grand-Bornand just over a week ago and was lucky I arrived a couple of days after the first fresh snow in weeks.

As I've stated on another thread, I definitely prefer GB and would definitely suggest getting the ski bus over there for at least a day if you're there for 3 or more (and you haven't already sorted lift pass just for La Clusaz)

Found the pistes in La Clusaz very hard in the morning (although they were going through a period of freeze/thaw) and Manigod certainly seemed to have the best of the sun and the snow.

The other bonus being the off-piste to the left of the top of the Choucas drag lifts which led back to the Belvedere section. Low gradient but an excuse to safely surf a way across.
snow report
Hi, so from looking at the webcams it seems there is resh snow Very Happy which makes the next question worth asking. Are there ski lockers at the lifts in La Clusaz & if so any idea what they cost and can you book them?

TIA
ski holidays
@numbfoot, we ski mainly at LGB so can’t talk with any experience about La Clusaz BUT round here the usual ski locker options are as follows.....If you are renting any gear from most of the hire shops within spitting distance of a lift they'll usually have lockers free for their customers to use. At the bottom of some of the bigger town lifts they may have lockers you can rent - check with tourist office.
Meanwhile it’s still snowing.....
ski holidays
The lockers at the lifts themselves are pretty pricey though if I remember correctly, better find a hire shop with free ones that's in easy walking distance.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy