Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which pieces of gear matter most to you?

Poster: A snowHead
For me, no 1 that needs to fit and perform well - boots, every time. Some years ago I used to cry / scream (part in pain, part in frustration) due to boot problems, now they're much better but I'm still wary every time I have to get a new pair (and I always need 3-4 extra visits to the bootfitter, for adjustments).

Also - I like my edges to be good, and I like my binding mounting point to not be too far forward. If either of these isn't the case, my skiing gets a lot worse.

On the other hand, I see a lot of discussion of bindings - ramp angle, stack height, harsh ride, solidity of the boot-binding interface, etc... whereas I think that pretty much every binding I've skied after the days of my Naxos 21 have been perfectly fine for skiing (tech being much better for touring of course), and I would find it hard to tell what binding I'm skiing without actually looking at it.

Do you have gear which needs to be just right, and other for which anything goes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boots, definitely. And merino base layers in a variety of thicknesses, to keep me warm, or cool, and fragrant.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went through this 12 years ago and still is pretty close for me..... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44226&highlight=
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Goggles - more particularly low light lenses for low light days!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boots. Every time! Have experienced severe foot pain in the past... totally screws enjoyment and ability to ski well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Carte Neige (or similar)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neck snood thing, it's the only part of me that gets cold.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apart from the obvious boots, then my padded shorts. I like to chuck myself about a bit Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boots first. Heated boot bag second. Leki hot shot poles third.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mojos
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not all that fussed really. Comfy and warm clothing sure. Nice skis that turn and hold an edge absolutely. Boots that do not cause pain or numbness, yes that too. But all things are easily bought/rented.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boots are a given, you can't ski in the wrong boots, second for me is good low light goggles so snow storms and white outs don't matter so much.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hip flask
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boots, when you have a pair that fits you do not want to upgrade/get another colour/get a fat pair that floats on fresh snow/get a pair that lets you see in the dark or in rain or snow/get a warmer pair/get a pair that allows you to switch between walk mode run mode and ski hard/ski soft you just want to keep the same boots!

The only time you need a new pair of boots, is if someone steals your old 10 year well worn pair. What use is it to them?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easiest question in the world! Which ever bit of gear is annoying you the most right now!
ski holidays
boots first and foremost , then gloves that have the right amount of dexterity and warmth
snow report
Decent 4wd. Couldn’t get near a lift without it.
ski holidays
Boots. Couldn't ski a day in hire boots. So they travel with me in hand luggage. If my checked bag went missing, at least I'd still have em!
snow conditions
after boots, weather forecast on internet. TV weather forecasts are rubbish for skiing. Therefore, computer with internet connection is fairly high on the list of required skiing kit.
latest report
Wallet
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
boots, when you have a pair that fits you do not want to upgrade/get another colour/get a fat pair that floats on fresh snow/get a pair that lets you see in the dark or in rain or snow/get a warmer pair/get a pair that allows you to switch between walk mode run mode and ski hard/ski soft you just want to keep the same boots!

The only time you need a new pair of boots, is if someone steals your old 10 year well worn pair. What use is it to them?
boots wear out, and the very last thing you want is for them to break on the hill. 15 years is a good age I think
snow report
Boots, followed closely by a decent pair of goggles!
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
...boots wear out, and the very last thing you want is for them to break on the hill. 15 years is a good age I think
This. I don't want to have things break in the middle of nowhere.

On the OP.... a multi-currency debit-card is the most important thing
snow report
Silk socks, silk inner gloves
ski holidays
Boots and (telemark) bindings. Everything else is a looong way behind...
ski holidays
My skis with kneebindings are the most important as I can’t hire these, they may not fit me as well but I can hire replacement boots.

Though boots come in a very close second
ski holidays
boots, ( mind you any skier will tell you boots are THE most important thing). Then good gloves, and third good lenses, either googles or glasses.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy