Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel to Kitzsteinhorn

Poster: A snowHead
We'll be in Kitzbuhel from next Sat (22nd). Weather looks worryingly warm. Any advice on where to go to avoid slush? The nearest high glacier would appear to be Kitzsteinhorn above Kaprun. Is that do-able from Kitzbuhel?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chomski, about 1 hour drive.
TBH I would not worry too much. They have enough snow. Might get a bit slushy but that's part of the fun!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were there first week in Feb, Jochberg area seemed a better option that Kitzbuhel as it isn't as busy so the snow stay firmer for longer.

Similarly, try the Kitzbuheler horn. Our hotel manager (local) said that that area is quieter as it's a bit of a trek to get there so less popular with the hoards.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chomski, both the Kaprun and Zillertal glaciers are within "driving" distance but not sure it will really be worth spending that much of your time inside a car (in both cases go over Pass Thurn, turn left at the bottom for Kaprun and right towards the Gerlos pass for Zillertal - it is still a fair drive though) . The area at Pass Thurn usually keeps decent snow and many other parts of the area are still good even in spring conditions. One other possibility is the Wildkogel area, which is fairly small but a bit higher than Kitzbühel (no idea what current conditions are like). You access it from Bramberg which is not far up the valley from the bottom of the Pass Thurn road. I think (but please check) that both the Kitzsteinhorn and Wildkogel would be covered by the super ski card, I dont think the Zillertal is but might be wrong.

All that said it should be ideal weather for late lunch sitting on a terrace, sipping a beer or two in the sunshine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chomski,
Too much thinking, and wrong thinking!
Even if snow would be really so poor, going to Kaprun from Kitz would be silly.
Kaprun is small, and there are quite a few very large low resorts much closer than Kitz, e.g. Saalbach!
Result: queues!
Recipe: stay in Kitz, early rises, North facing slopes and long lunches.
You’ll be fine!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@homers double, but for Kitzbuheler horn I would say you have even worse conditions as most of runs are facing south or SE, so it means there's way more sun. Otherwise, for now, I would still stay down low in Kitz, as it's still not >THAT< bad, and there's way more terrain then higher up on glaciers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chomski wrote:
We'll be in Kitzbuhel from next Sat (22nd). Weather looks worryingly warm. Any advice on where to go to avoid slush? The nearest high glacier would appear to be Kitzsteinhorn above Kaprun. Is that do-able from Kitzbuhel?

Pointless.

Pass Thurn is north facing and the highest point in the resort. It's where they store some snow in summer. Webcams look just fine up there, and for most of the resort.

The resort is showing 75% of runs open - it's not all suddenly going to melt in a couple of days; it'll just be spring skiing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice. Never been to this part of the world before so the low altitudes and probability of low snow have spooked me.

Will seek out North facing slopes if necessary.

(On that subject, why is it that piste maps are rarely orientated so that Up = North. They often don't even bother to put compass directions on them.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chomski, I too was spooked about the low elevation, but its fine as the experienced folks have noted above. And I agree that all maps should have a north arrow! I hope its good, I'll be there myself in less than a month.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can look at something like this to get a quick idea of slope orientation.

https://openskimap.org/#11.46/47.3715/12.3936
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for pass thurn.

The snow keeps well there and the panorama alm does a nice lunch and good cake. The nearest glacier to you is Enzingerboden and is covered on the Superski pass if you get that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you catch the bus to Pass Thurn then you're at the better snow before the crowds.
Then leisurely ski back to Kitzbuhel which keeps you on mainly north facing slopes which also won't have been skied much as everyone was rushing to ski over to Pass Thurn.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As one that actually likes kitzsteinhorn, i gotta say that is my fave glacier. Better skiing than most glaciers:-)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMHO, its worth skiing over to Pass Thurn, ski there all day and get the bus back to Kitzbuhel at the end of the day. Even early in the morning the bottom of Pistes (red)66 and (red)68 which you use to get to Pass Thurn get slushy, (I normally ski Kitzbuhel in March though)

The few pistes at Barenbadkogel are nice to ski, though the first section of red 68, parallel with the drag lift is flat and can be schussed.

At Pass Thurn red 77 and 70a/70 are great pistes down to the bottom of the valley.

Ive skied Kitz n March with green fields with white ribbons of snow toski on and still had a great time
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello,

I am going to Kirchberg the 15th of March for 5 days skiing. I was thinking buy a Pay3Ski4 skipass.
Hopefully, we will have snow before our holiday.

I have 1 day skiing left with the skipass. I was wondering if go to the Skiwelt Area is a good idea? WHere I will find the best snow?

Thanks

Antoine
latest report
We've just got back from Kitzbuhel, and had a couple of warm days in the last week. The snow on the mountain will be fine for a while, but you can't ski down low. I'm not sure how much longer the streif will be viable (red 22 from the top of the gondola) - the bottom section of that is getting patchy. If you do want to do it, ski it in the morning, and get the lift back up again. We did it as the last run of the day, and it was moguly and slushy.

As others have said, the runs on the 'other' side of the S3 gondola are in great condition and are lovely to ski. I'd aim to get over there so you can enjoy the lovely snow.
ski holidays
Kitz has a metre forecast in the next 10 days
latest report
Hi both,

Thanks for the reply, I will do a report Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy