Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - Italy border may be Closing (Covid19)

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.oe24.at/welt/Coronavirus-Viertes-Todesopfer-in-Italien/418629403
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going to Austria next week.....I am assuming all will be fine Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nigel wrote:
@Boris, your being whats that english word ...pe..dan tik ?

Cases suspects ...did i say comfirmed ?? No i didnt

You lost that one just be honest ....

I heard what i heard this morning from the Dutch news ....who are extremely well informed.

Dont shoot the messenger.
Unless those 2000 suspects went to Italy for half term, think we can safely say you lost that one to be honest.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What happened is that the night train from Italy was held at the border whilst two people were tested who had suspicious symptoms. Both tested negative and then the train was allowed to continue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well that headline's just not really true, is it? The linked article confirms as much:
OE24 wrote:
Vielfach wurde am Sonntag von experten eine teilweise Schließung der grenzen zu Italien diskutiert. auch wurde über "Fieberkontrollen" an Grenzübergängen wie Thörl-Maglern oder am Brenner nachgedacht. aus dem Umfeld des Innenministerium-Krisenstabs sickerte aber am Sonntag durch, dass derzeit an keine Kontrollen an den grenzen gedacht wird. Zwar sei eine Schließung der grenze grundsätzlich "sehr rasch umsetzbar". binnen einer Stunde könnten Grenzkontrollen "hochgefahren werden", erläuterte Franz Lang, Leiter des Bundeskriminalamts. noch wird das aber nicht überlegt.

(my bold) “no border controls are being considered yet”, but they can do so very quickly if required.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Posting unnecessarily alarmist stuff really is not helpful to anyone. As somewhat less alarmist report here https://www.spiegel.de/politik/hysterie-und-hamsterkaeufe-a-f155f5d7-8015-406b-a605-f268a5db133e (the headline is "Hysteria and panic buying" !)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queenie pretty please wrote:
What happened is that the night train from Italy was held at the border whilst two people were tested who had suspicious symptoms. Both tested negative and then the train was allowed to continue.
That sounds so unexciting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wien (Vienna) Press Conference 13:30 on Govenment Response/Measures

12:43

In Wien tagt Einsatzstab der Regierung
Gesundheitsminister Rudolf Anschober, Innenminister Karl Nehammer und Verteidigungsministerin Klaudia Tanner informieren Bundeskanzler Sebastian Kurz über die aktuelle Lage. Auch Infrastrukturministerin Leonore Gewessler und der Generaldirektor für die öffentliche Sicherheit Franz Lang sind anwesend. Gemeinsam werden mögliche weitere Maßnahmen entschieden.
Wie reagiert Österreich auf die Ausbreitung des Virus in Italien? Für 13.30 Uhr ist eine Pressekonferenz angekündigt.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Wien (Vienna) Press Conference 13:30 on Govenment Response/Measures

12:43

In Wien tagt Einsatzstab der Regierung
Gesundheitsminister Rudolf Anschober, Innenminister Karl Nehammer und Verteidigungsministerin Klaudia Tanner informieren Bundeskanzler Sebastian Kurz über die aktuelle Lage. Auch Infrastrukturministerin Leonore Gewessler und der Generaldirektor für die öffentliche Sicherheit Franz Lang sind anwesend. Gemeinsam werden mögliche weitere Maßnahmen entschieden.
Wie reagiert Österreich auf die Ausbreitung des Virus in Italien? Für 13.30 Uhr ist eine Pressekonferenz angekündigt.

And in the meantime Germany has no plans to close borders.
Deutschland plant keine Grenzschließungen

Auch nach der Ausbreitung des Coronavirus im Norden Italiens plant die deutsche Regierung derzeit keine Grenzschließungen. Entsprechende Überlegungen gebe es im Innenministerium nicht, sagte ein Ressortsprecher am Montag in Berlin.

Ein Sprecher des Gesundheitsministeriums sagte, in Deutschland sei es bisher gelungen, Menschen, die mit SARS-CoV-2 infiziert seien, zu isolieren und zu behandeln. Für eine anhaltende Viruszirkulation in Deutschland gebe es derzeit keine Anhaltspunkte, betonte er unter Berufung auf das Robert Koch-Institut. Die Lageeinschätzung könne sich aber ändern.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frau Merkel has previous when it comes to not closing borders "Wir schaffen das"
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a meeting in Rome tomorrow. Austrian German Italians...

Gesundheitsminister Rudolf Anschober ist als Dritter an der Reihe. Er spricht über die Pläne der italienischen Regierung.

Morgen, Dienstag, sollen in Rom die Gesundheitsminister der Nachbarländer, also auch Österreichs, sowie Deutschlands für eine Konferenz zusammenkommen.

Die chinesischen Behörden haben die ersten 45.000 Erkrankungsfälle analysiert: 81 Prozent der Krankheitsverläufe seien leicht, 14 Prozent schwer gewesen. Nur 5 Prozent der Patienten seien in Lebensgefahr gewesen.

Notfall- und Informationshotlines sollen ab spätestens morgen 24 Stunden durchgehend erreichbar sein.

Anschober betont die Wichtigkeit des Europäischen Informationsnetzwerkes über das frühzeitig mögliche Bezugspunkte zu Österreich aufgedeckt werden könnten.

FYI Schengen Borders can be closed at anytime by individual Member States..Ive seen thisa few times on autobahn between Netherlands and Germany.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Regierung sieht keinen Grund zur Panik - the authorities see no reason to panic.
Einsatzstab legte fünf neue Maßnahmen fest
Fünftes TOdespfer in der Lombardei
Platter beruft Euregio-Sitzung in Bozen ein
China verbietet Verkauf und Verzehr von Wildtieren
Schramböck: Keine Grenzschließung zu Italien geplant - no plans to close Italy/Austria border
Krisen-Experte rät zur Ruhe, empfiehlt aber Planung beim Einkauf
Elf steirische Spitalsmitarbeiter in Quarantäne
Zwölf Tote und 47 Infizierte im Iran

https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus?_gb_c=184D9E988B1D4D298201F7F1DBB2D625&gb_clk=9-20200224152603-11242986-0-17460
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"The Chinese authorities analyzed the first 45,000 cases of illness: 81 percent of the disease courses were easy, 14 percent were severe. Only 5 percent of the patients were in mortal danger."

Not to mention that so far in Italy, the deaths have been elderly and those with preexisting conditions (ex: cancer)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No borders being closed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why don’t we just stick to the facts instead of feeding the hysteria in multiple languages?
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, I am in a wait and see mood. However your quote of 5% of patients in mortal danger strikes me as nothing to be complacent about. Nor, as someone in my 8th decade, am I thrilled at your apparent opinion that the elderly don't mattter.
snow report
@achilles,
Quote:

apparent opinion that the elderly don't mattter.

I can't see that in the post, which was merely stating a fact.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@achilles,
Quote:

apparent opinion that the elderly don't mattter.

I can't see that in the post, which was merely stating a fact.

I can't the point of the final line unless it is being dismissive.

Quote:
"The Chinese authorities analyzed the first 45,000 cases of illness: 81 percent of the disease courses were easy, 14 percent were severe. Only 5 percent of the patients were in mortal danger."

Not to mention that so far in Italy, the deaths have been elderly and those with preexisting conditions (ex: cancer)

Saying that there are only 5% in mortal danger, and anyway that those who die are the elderly and infirm, begs the question of why make the comment. "Who cares" come as across as the only possible conclusion I can see.

However, we frequently disagree with each other - I have learnt to cope wink
ski holidays
You don't think it's relevant to identify that particular populations are more vulnerable than others when identifying whether death tallies are a cause for concern?
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
@ItaloSkier, I am in a wait and see mood. However your quote of 5% of patients in mortal danger strikes me as nothing to be complacent about. Nor, as someone in my 8th decade, am I thrilled at your apparent opinion that the elderly don't mattter.

My apologies if it came off that way. The elderly do matter... in fact, I've told my wife that if our trip proceeds, we will not be seeing my parents for two weeks when we return as they are in their 8th and 9th decades. Knowing your age, in fact, in your case I probably would reconsider the trip because, yes, you are at greater risk. My implication was that if you are younger and in good health with no preexisting conditions, I think to travel is safer. Apologies for the confusion. Given my parents age, if curious, I am in my 40s as is my wife. Our children are pre-teens.
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, fair enough, I now appreciate your viewpoint, thanks for coming back to me. I am contemplating cancelling a late-ish ski trip to France, if the problem becomes serious here or there. Even if the insurance does not cover it, the money is already spent/committed, so I will be no worse off. And the person for whom I am primary carer would appreciate me being alive. In fact, even if I 'just' picked up the virus with no ill consequences to me, passing it on here does not bear thinking about.
snow conditions
@achilles,

We're struggling with what to do. Travel insurance through our credit card does not cover pandemics. We are about to eat a sizeable amount of $ if we cancel our hotel and even if we decide to go but change entry point (fly into Geneva or Lyon instead of MXP) we are going to pay an ugly fare difference. Mind you we're flying from across the pond. So, the question is... if the situation remains stable do we just stick with MXP and roll the dice? Or do we try to go to another airport. OR just move everything to next season if possible?
ski holidays
@achilles, in your position, I would certainly be minded to cancel. As it is, even if I don't have to self-isolate on my return from the GnarliBug, I shall still be following ItaloSkier's approach and avoiding those people of my acquaintance whom I know to be vulnerable. I'm not nervous on my own account: although I'm old, I was given an astonishingly clean bill of health relatively recently.
snow report
@ItaloSkier, I don't envy your position. I saw a couple on TV, this morning who were visiting Milan. They were disappointed that they could not visit where they wanted, but were not too worried about their health whilst in the city. They were, however, concerned that they might catch the virus whilst in transport on their way home.

@Hurtle, thanks, I appreciate your comment; it helps organise my thoughts to discuss this one. For the moment, I have not bought transfers to/from London, and Lyon to Les Deux Alpes, and won't unless the situation becomes favourably clearer. I think cancellation is looking more likely than not, though.
snow conditions
Just received a message from work that I have to stay away for two weeks when coming back from Italy. Two weeks paid vacation and then off to the Alps again. Could be worse

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 26-02-20 18:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
A lot of heartless people out there.

Willing old people dead with barely disguised glee.
ski holidays
Cough cough, wheeze Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
A lot of heartless people out there.

Willing old people dead with barely disguised glee.

Pot, kettle etc. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm hopefully flying in to to Turin next Saturday for a week over the border in La Grave. The forecast seems to be snow ,snow, snow for the next week so conditions should be great.
My son seems to think that after travelling to northern Italy I will have to 'self isolate' for at least a week, maybe two upon my return .
This is his request and maybe sensible having grandkids virtually next door and a v elderly father .
Tbh I have treated the whole thing very lightly so far, but maybe i am being selfish and putting others at risk.
So my choice is either cancel (last resort and apparently not insured) or have an epic powder week followed by a week of solitude in the camper van spending my time mountain biking , catching up on movies and probably drinking beer. (assume ok biking as long as I keep away from people).
Or the possibility which I haven't really considered is that I come home, become really ill and die Shocked (What was the danger age again)

So along with many thousands of others - I have a few more days to make a decision .
latest report
I am more worried about the airports and the plane than once I get to resort - I reckon there's enough space around when you are up a mountain especially if you sit outside the restaurant for lunch and avoid bubbles and strangers on chair lifts. Hopefully it won't be too crowded.

Seriously contemplating a mask for travel - but it does seem a bit OTT
ski holidays
@skimummk,
Quote:

I am more worried about the airports and the plane than once I get to resort
+1
snow report
@achilles, This page may help guide your decision on whether to cancel https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/
It shows quite clearly that the mortality rate for those catching the disease is very low below 50 but then increases dramatically for those 80+. Pre existing conditions also raise the risks.

As the time period in which people remain contagious has not yet been defined accurately, they are currently using 14 days as a rule of thumb then if I were in your position with the responsibilities of being a carer I would reluctantly be seriously considering cancelling.

My own position is that my wife and I are in our 60's so have an increased mortality risk if we catch the disease, I have a health condition which raises my risk level but we have no older people that we either care for or come into to contact with so our decision on whether to go or not in 10 days time becomes purely personal. At the moment because we drive and self cater our risks are probably less if we go skiing than if we stay at home.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy