Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some advice on my techniques please

Poster: A snowHead
I have skied 3.5 weeks in total (only started skiing in April 2019) and I spent a week in VT last week. I would be grateful if any of you SH can spare a comment or two on my skiing. I went to VT UCPA for the full time instructions (my third time with UCPA) and although I really enjoyed it, and the instructor provided some really good advice and drills, it wasn't a course that was fully dedicated to skill improvements, but more of a guided tour around the three valleys. I appreciate the language was a bit of an issue (I fully understood the instructor but I am well aware that there are more intricate aspects that the instructor would be able to explain much better in his native French). So I am going to go to one of those week long course at either Snoworks or WSSA for dedicated skill development.

Please see my poor skiing below.... I appreciate I may appear a bit small in one of the videos but that was my first time filming with a gopro with a mate, hope it isn't too terrible to show me skiing. Thank you all!

http://youtube.com/v/V1ZEAlYoPz4

http://youtube.com/v/B52DJkgCmeA

http://youtube.com/v/eHEpuf0TYk0?t=99

http://youtube.com/v/DGMLmC4Z9dg

http://youtube.com/v/qtPmIUMeS5o
First Monday

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 3-04-20 19:26; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is a bit small. My bit of advice would be to not ski with a rucksack when you are learning, it seems to be pulling you into the back seat which transfers over to when you don't have a rucksack.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not too shabby for 3.5 weeks Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My unprofessional view (on first video):

There is a fair amount that is looking good - You are relaxed, reasonably centred, with good arm position.

To me, your Left Turn is made with more angulation than your Right Turn

Your transition needs a bit more commitment, as you end up with a stem to pull you out of trouble when things go wrong.

I think you need to be a little less static, with a more pronounced weight transfer to the uphill ski before the turn and then driving the turning ski round the turn with gradually tilting it on edge (rather than too much rotary movement).

- Try and keep turns in both directions more symmetrical/consistent - ie. The amount you turn in each direction should be as similar as possible to each other (In turn type, shape and amount).

I'm sure somebody more qualified will be along shortly.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 2-03-20 15:25; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ps. Re the angulation issue, here is a simple thought that should help - especially on your weaker left side (turning right).

I've also heard it promoted, by thinking of "Crushing a Grape" that is placed between the bottom of your ribs and top of your hips.

Even if I'm wrong with what I see - it's a good practice to ingrain.

http://youtube.com/v/sHXmn8O26Bg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, Thank you for your comments. I did consider it but as I had to carry some water and my lunch while going around 3 valleys I kind of had to carry it. But I will try skiing without one next time and see if I can get out of the backseat.

@Old Fartbag, Thanks for your advice. I did notice that my right turn was worse than left turn and was trying hard to have both consistent. I will keep that in mind to be less static, that was one of the observations made by the instructor too but he didn't explain in too much depth on how to get more dynamic. So in being more dynamic do you mean by applying the pressure earlier and actively steer the skis with my leg? I am trying hard to get rid of the stem, when I looked at the videos it doesn't look good at all!

Thanks for all your comments, really appreciate it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
garricw wrote:
@davidof, Thank you for your comments. I did consider it but as I had to carry some water and my lunch while going around 3 valleys I kind of had to carry it. But I will try skiing without one next time and see if I can get out of the backseat.

apart from that I agree with @spyderjon, you skiing it not too bad really.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A great drill that forces you to be more committed:

- Traverse across the slope

- Prior to turning, lift the tail of the d/hill ski

- Now turn - Which is nearly impossible if your weight is back. It also requires you to thrust forwards and across, to achieve your edge change, especially if you are going more slowly.

- When the turn is complete, place the tail of the (now) u/hill ski back on the snow and repeat in the other direction.

- Remember, the Tip of the ski needs engaged at the top of the turn, in order to pull you into the turn - and this is achieved through knee flex. Think of skiing with your heels pulled back under your hips, which keeps pressure on the front of your boots and stops your ankle joint from "opening", which puts you in the back seat.

- Through the turn, you should be centred over arch of your feet

- When skiing more slowly on gentle pistes, allow the skis more time to go from one set of edges, to flat and then to the other set of edges. Rushing this crucial transition stage can trip you up. This is why skiing slowly is much more difficult, as it highlights problems that are masked when going quickly.

- A nice way of skiing fairly shallow pistes and paths, is to press on the (edged) ski - think riding a bicycle, where you alternatively press down on each pedal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ Pretty much agree with the above. This is the dumbed down (modern safety version) of a javelin turn (Google it). Current recommendation for the javelin turn drill is that it's better to leave the tip in the snow of the lifted inside ski to be sure that you don't lean back. It's certainly a drill I would recommend for you.

So first things first, it's definitely good skiing for 3.5 weeks and fair play to you for attempting to carve at that level of experience. You did well to find Bouchet with no icy bumps on it! Bad news is that if you're that good at 3.5 weeks, you're going to be addicted forever and it's going to cost you a fortune for the rest of your life. Hey ho... Laughing

So the analysis:

Your fundamental issue is that you're very right-footed. Not unusual. So when you turn left with the weight/pressure/edge angle on your favoured right foot you are confident in "leaning" on that ski. When you turn right you are still on your right ski until you're past the fall line whereupon you realise consciously or subconsciously that you should be on your left ski. You then make a distinct movement to transfer pressure to the left ski and move the right ski to "match". You see it as a stem on the video but it's subconscious. Your issue is not getting on the left ski early enough in the transition phase or "top of the turn".

The by-product of this is that your left turns (on your right leg) look angulated and your right turns look banked. They're banked because your pressure isn't on your left (outside ski), it's still on your inside (right) ski. Your crash video is a perfect example of this - you're trying to create extreme angles but the pressure is on the wrong ski so the outside ski breaks away and you're done.

Not sure if anyone's shown you but you need to practice long leg/short leg leaning against a wall at home so you build muscle memory of the correct position for carving.

In general, I think you've got great potential and you don't have any massive problems. If you concentrate on transferring your weight/pressure early in the turn to your left leg, you'll fix most of your issues and progress very quickly.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raceplate wrote:
^^ Pretty much agree with the above. This is the dumbed down (modern safety version) of a javelin turn (Google it). Current recommendation for the javelin turn drill is that it's better to leave the tip in the snow of the lifted inside ski to be sure that you don't lean back. It's certainly a drill I would recommend for you.

Phew, that's a relief!

To OP. Here is Deb Armstrong demonstrating Javelin Turn, with tip down:

http://youtube.com/v/AqY3njpOnmw
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Raceplate, Thank you so much for your kind words, more so for your advice. Yeah we were really lucky to have found an empty Orelle on the Saturday, although we did go there on the first lift.

I just managed to upload the rest of the videos and this is a very poor attempt on javelin turns without knowing it was called javelin turns(only just found out the name of this drill......) But again I am quite in the back seat as you can see but I will sure try to get more forward in easter when I will be in Tignes.

http://youtube.com/v/md2j5HrGuHs?t=12

Here is another clip of mine from two days ago. This is probably another embarrassing video but there you go. Please critique as harshly as you will.

http://youtube.com/v/jmiKXf65LLI?t=15

Quote:

Not sure if anyone's shown you but you need to practice long leg/short leg leaning against a wall at home so you build muscle memory of the correct position for carving.

I never thought of doing this so thank you for suggesting this! I will make this a daily routine at home from now on, hopefully soon enough getting my hips on the snow will feel more natural than it does now.

Again, thank you so much for everyone's comments, advice and suggestions on drills. I really appreciate it. And @Raceplate, you're right, I'm not sure if I should thank my friend for taking me to the mountain first time round or I should regret it.... I have already gotten a pair of boots after my first trip, next thing will be a pair of skis....... or two.......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, Laughing that's the first video that came up when I googled it and it's exactly what's NOT recommended these days, at least at the OP's level.

I should've been clearer - the drill should be done with the skis still parallel rather than lifting up the inside ski and crossing the tips. Your written description of the drill was absolutely fine. Just lift the heel of the inside ski and leave it tracking the same line as the outside ski.

The vid above is probably useful at 30 weeks on snow but not 3.5 wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you cross the tips when doing javelin turns it opens the hips a great deal. That may or may not be helpful, so you should know exactly what you are trying to do with that drill. It's not one I use a lot, restricting it mainly to when I'm developing short radius, performance turns.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
Not too shabby for 3.5 weeks Cool

+1

Get out of the back seat first before doing anything else. Really get those hips forward!!!

(Yet another victim of disjointed snowplough turns! A curse on a very many intermediates)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raceplate wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Laughing that's the first video that came up when I googled it and it's exactly what's NOT recommended these days, at least at the OP's level.

I should've been clearer - the drill should be done with the skis still parallel rather than lifting up the inside ski and crossing the tips. Your written description of the drill was absolutely fine. Just lift the heel of the inside ski and leave it tracking the same line as the outside ski.

The vid above is probably useful at 30 weeks on snow but not 3.5 wink

Apologies....I never thought of my description as a Javelin Drill.

I was wondering whether it was too advanced, but I thought I was showing a demonstration of what you mentioned - all is now clear.
snow report
@garricw, your javelin vid perfectly illustrates your issue. When you lift up your left ski (balancing on your strong right leg) the tip points downwards. When you lift up your right ski (balancing on your weak left leg) your tail points downwards. i.e. you're leaning back when you turn right. That's your issue - your brain doesn't trust your left leg.

Do the same drill but leave the tip of the inside ski in the snow. Only lift the heel. I imagine you'll find that very easy turning left but not right to begin with. Get to the point where you can keep the inside tip in the snow in both directions and you'll be good.

Off the snow, I would recommend doing one leg squats and other balance exercises to even up the subconscious trust level that your brain has between your right and left legs. You'll be surprised at what a difference being able to do 40 unsupported one leg squats on your weak leg without putting your other foot down makes to your skiing.
snow report
@garricw, If I could have skied like that after 3.5 weeks, I'd have been thrilled.....mind you, that would have been 45 years ago. Shocked
ski holidays
@Raceplate, Thank you so much for your advice. I will take that on board and ramp up the balancing exercises. I think my issue stems from my left side of the whole posterior chain being much stronger than the right posterior chain (after years of bad habits), so I have been focusing on training the right side while not so much on my left, in an attempt to balance things out. Turned out it hasn't done much good on my skiing.

Again really appreciate your insight. Makes me want to go to a training camp even more!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 28-08-20 14:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

Makes me want to go to a training camp even more!

JUST DO IT!! snowHead
snow report
garricw wrote:
@Raceplate, Thank you so much for your advice. I will take that on board and ramp up the balancing exercises. I think my issue stems from my left side of the whole posterior chain being much stronger than the right, so I have been focusing on training the right side while not so much on my left, in an attempt to balance things out. Turned out it hasn't done much good on my skiing.
If I understand this right then you're saying your left glute/hamstrings are stronger than your quads? For sure that'll be an issue. Hamstrings are only any use for stabilising your ACL in skiing. Beyond that, quad strength is everything.
latest report
Assuming it is the truth, the skiing is pretty darn good for 3.5 weeks.

Best advice, as always, is:

1. Private lessons.
2. Longer time on vacation (2+ continuous weeks on the snow).
3. Molded skiboots.
ski holidays
@Raceplate, yeah i've been weightlifting for quite a while and found that my left and right side of my body are fairly imbalanced. So i've been doing a lot of exercises to try to bring my right posterior chain to match the left. But that hasn't worked out too well.... work has also meant i can't hit the gym as much so i'll do a bit more body weight exercises. Let's see how it works out

@Whitegold, thank you for your advice. I have bought a pair of moulded ski boots from Profeet and they are very snug after a number of revisits. The only thing for private lessons is that I kind of not able to afford too many lessons even though I know it will help me tremendously. I also felt that UCPA is, while a great value for money, isn't the best option out there for tuition (UCPA is all I have ever been). I have done a bit of research on here and saw that people regard snoworks highly and so maybe I should try that. I made the mistake on booking 3 separate trips this season instead of 1 long one, so maybe for next season I should do two weeks straight like you said, if my work allows to.
snow conditions
@AL9000, maybe i should do a bash.....
snow conditions
garricw wrote:

Careful. That's an expensive addiction! snowHead
snow conditions
garricw wrote:

The only thing wrong with that is the "maybe" Toofy Grin
latest report
Another useful Warren Smith Video - which includes a Dry Land exercise:

http://youtube.com/v/jCiIzxLXPeE

Here is an excellent video, that deals with a lot of the concepts being discussed on this thread eg. Foot to Foot pressure, Ankle Flex, Balance, Transition, Upper Body orientation etc....All of which are part of "Commitment".

http://youtube.com/v/wslCf5YHF00&list=PLh0l0yitlWRFuEueEsEqx0pRppezWOiqn&index=26

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 3-03-20 12:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
You could try Inside Out Skiing courses , I have progressed a lot with them , they do day courses at Hemel Snow centre or week long ski holidays in France or Italy . Of course the Snowheads Bashes also have lessons specially the PSB & EOSB which alot of Snowheads have found really usefull.
snow report
snowxxx wrote:
You could try Inside Out Skiing courses , I have progressed a lot with them , they do day courses at Hemel Snow centre or week long ski holidays in France or Italy . Of course the Snowheads Bashes also have lessons specially the PSB & EOSB which alot of Snowheads have found really usefull.
+1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you everyone for your insight, advice and suggestions. I will keep working on the drills and hopefully will be able to improve in good progress. All these videos meant very little when I first watched them a few months back but they all make sense. Will work hard on these now!

Having been introduced to the mountain last April I am hoping to take my BASI 1 next season, so I will work hard on these drills and hopefully one day I can make the mountain my home or at least can spend a considerable amount of time out there.

Thanks again!
snow report
@garricw, Speak to these chaps, they'll help you out.

https://www.insideoutskiing.com/uk/fasttrack.html

Just don't make the tall one angry Little Angel
snow report
@AL9000, thanks. The video doesn't work on this page but having looked at the BASI 1 expected level I think I still have a way to go before I can attempt that.
snow report
@garricw, In case it's helpful:

YouTube Instruction that I've found helpful:

1. Darren Turner (Elate Media)
2. Deb Armstrong
3. Warren Smith (also on his website)
4. Harald Harb - I don't completely buy into his system, but there are some sound concepts being discussed.

Exercise:

- Have a look at this thread, in particular the Leg Blaster post by SBP (a third of the way down). https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150953

- Lots of balance work with a BOSU and Swiss Ball....some with eyes closed

- Lots of core work - if possible, do Pilates

- Check out Warren Smith's website for skiing specific exercises, range of movement and stretches.

Getting "Ski Fit" is subtly different.
latest report
@garricw, I think at your level of skiing continuing with lessons in the alps or back in the UK in the off season would be best and view the L1 instructor course as a longer range goal if you wish to teach. ps happy to help if we can with some lessons and I fixed the video link Wink

In my view the drills and videos listed aren't really appropriate for your stage of development and you would be best served getting a lesson or two and then practice the drills that your instructor utilises with you..

Many thanks to those who gave us a link and a recommendation Smile
ski holidays
I hope it goes without saying, but in case it doesn't - Videos and links should never be used instead of instruction. They are meant to be Thought-Provoking, Enlightening and a Resource that should be discussed with your Instructor and if used, overseen by them (if deemed appropriate).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 5-03-20 11:05; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, great content, will try to incorporate as much as those into my normal gym routine. And yeah I found the videos helpful but nothing beats being out there sliding....

@skimottaret, will do. I am going to Tignes with UCPA half time for the end of season this Easter. I will probably book a session with you before I fly out then, depending on availability. I certainly would like to improve further before I head out to the mountain again, maximising the time I can enjoy it out there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy