Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Salzburgerland

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I could not find a post about this...
Was thinking of going skiing this weekend or the coming one? Does someone know how the weather and snow is looking in Salzburgerland, Austria?
I live in Munich and was thinking about going to test the snow there? Would love to report afterwards as well...

Kind regards,
Tobi
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TobLeron, welcome to Snowheads!

There is a thread specifically about weather https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147999. However it has been a bit fractious recently and it can be a bit nerdy but it is a good place to ask, especially as the person who "runs" the thread, @nozawaonsen, lives not far from Salzburg.

There are various threads for some of the areas, the Saalbach one is popular and there are a number of folk who live in the Ski Amade area and report fairly regularly and would be able to answer questions about conditions on that thread.

As you can see from looking out the window the weather at the moment is rather mild, pretty spring like for the middle of February and there does not seem to be much chance of that changing much in the near future, maybe some light snow from time to time but basically mild. I would say it would be better to go this weekend as the snow will have spent less time in the mild weather but it probably wont make much difference.

What area are you thinking of going too?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TobLeron, there's no denying it's been a milder winter, but having said that, all ski areas and pistes are open and there's great skiing to be had. If you want fresh deep off-piste powder, you'll be disappointed, but if you want smooth piste cruising, fill your boots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Austria is in better shape than most, right now.

Try Kitzbuehel or Saalbach.

Watch the crowds. Get there early.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
munich_irish wrote:
@TobLeron, welcome to Snowheads!

There is a thread specifically about weather https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147999. However it has been a bit fractious recently and it can be a bit nerdy but it is a good place to ask, especially as the person who "runs" the thread, @nozawaonsen, lives not far from Salzburg.

There are various threads for some of the areas, the Saalbach one is popular and there are a number of folk who live in the Ski Amade area and report fairly regularly and would be able to answer questions about conditions on that thread.

As you can see from looking out the window the weather at the moment is rather mild, pretty spring like for the middle of February and there does not seem to be much chance of that changing much in the near future, maybe some light snow from time to time but basically mild. I would say it would be better to go this weekend as the snow will have spent less time in the mild weather but it probably wont make much difference.

What area are you thinking of going too?

Ok I will try and take a look at that thread. I saw so much action there and so many posts I thought it would get lost in the middle of it. Yeah, winter is weird this year... I thought we would get snow around march/april but I think I'm losing hope... I was thinking about going to the place with the most snow to be honest... Heard about Flachau, Kitzbühel and Wagrain (or something similar)... Do you have any suggestions?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@TobLeron, there's no denying it's been a milder winter, but having said that, all ski areas and pistes are open and there's great skiing to be had. If you want fresh deep off-piste powder, you'll be disappointed, but if you want smooth piste cruising, fill your boots.

I have not skied for one year, so for one weekend I think I would be fine staying on piste and get the grip again... Are they using the snow cannons, or is it normal snow?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:
Austria is in better shape than most, right now.

Try Kitzbuehel or Saalbach.

Watch the crowds. Get there early.

Which one is going to be less crowded? Ithink maybe kitzbuhel, because it is the most known in Austria (or at least one of the most known)...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TobLeron, this forthcoming weekend is the end of the school holiday period in Austria, but is right in the middle of the Dutch school holidays and from Friday, the Bavarian school holidays. As such I'd expect all ski areas to be pretty busy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TobLeron, snow cannons are used at the start of the season only, so by now what's on piste is a mixture that's been regularly skied on, groomed, re-frozen, etc. The temperatures have been quite milder for the past few days, so the snow has been very spring-like, icy in the mornings, soft in the afternoons. However, the temperatures have now turned colder again and there might well be a little fresh snow tonight and Friday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TobLeron, Kitzbühel is a good option from Munich. The weekend is due to be quite mild but there is more than enough snow at the moment so it should not be an issue. I assume you will be driving though Kitzbühel is perfectly possible by train but the connections dont always work well (there used to be direct trains on a Saturday but no more) for day trips skiing. Saturdays are often busy on the roads (maybe this weekend more than most) but less busy on the mountain. I have done a lot of day and weekend trips from Munich to many of the resorts in the Tirol and Salzburgerland and Kitzbühel is a very good compromise for travel convenience and quantity & quality of skiing. Flachau (Wagrain is part of the same area) is a good spot too, though really too far for a day trip more a weekend.

These days I pretty much only go to the Arlberg simply because the skiing and (usually) snow is simply better than elsewhere, however it is much more travel. I have done day trips in the past but am now very unkeen on 5 hours plus (more in bad traffic or weather) driving just to go skiing for the day and take the train on a Friday evening and return Sunday, much more relaxing allround.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TobLeron, this forthcoming weekend is the end of the school holiday period in Austria, but is right in the middle of the Dutch school holidays and from Friday, the Bavarian school holidays. As such I'd expect all ski areas to be pretty busy.

Yeah February is always a busy period and the beginning of March as well... but I just want to have some fun and be relaxed... I think that will be possible
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TobLeron, snow cannons are used at the start of the season only, so by now what's on piste is a mixture that's been regularly skied on, groomed, re-frozen, etc. The temperatures have been quite milder for the past few days, so the snow has been very spring-like, icy in the mornings, soft in the afternoons. However, the temperatures have now turned colder again and there might well be a little fresh snow tonight and Friday.

That is information I did not know, so thank you for teaching me...
For example in Spain they only use the cannons when there is no snow at all and they let them run during the night or early mornings, so when people get to the track they have some snow...
If there is snow predicted on Friday, then Saturday should be a good day to go?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munich_irish wrote:
@TobLeron, Kitzbühel is a good option from Munich. The weekend is due to be quite mild but there is more than enough snow at the moment so it should not be an issue. I assume you will be driving though Kitzbühel is perfectly possible by train but the connections dont always work well (there used to be direct trains on a Saturday but no more) for day trips skiing. Saturdays are often busy on the roads (maybe this weekend more than most) but less busy on the mountain. I have done a lot of day and weekend trips from Munich to many of the resorts in the Tirol and Salzburgerland and Kitzbühel is a very good compromise for travel convenience and quantity & quality of skiing. Flachau (Wagrain is part of the same area) is a good spot too, though really too far for a day trip more a weekend.

These days I pretty much only go to the Arlberg simply because the skiing and (usually) snow is simply better than elsewhere, however it is much more travel. I have done day trips in the past but am now very unkeen on 5 hours plus (more in bad traffic or weather) driving just to go skiing for the day and take the train on a Friday evening and return Sunday, much more relaxing allround.

Yeah probably driving, as I am planning to lose the whole day in trains etc... Ok Kitzbühel seems like a great idea and it is not that long of a road trip so should be fine for sure.
Was never in Arlberg, although I heard a bit about it... would you suggest it as well?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Driving from Munich, straight down the A10 you have Flachauwinkl on one side of the slip road, Zauchensee on the other, they are the simplest to get to and both offer great skiing, and, the slip road goes straight into the car park. The junction before Flachauwinkl /Zauchensee is Flachau, and, this will be busier, it also has great skiing. hth Ange. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TobLeron, The Arlberg is (currently) the biggest ski area in Austria, the main centres are St Anton & Lech plus a few smaller villages. It has some of the best / most challenging skiing in Austria and is one of the most well known skiing areas in the Alps. The downsides are that it is not the cheapest (especially Lech) and that St Anton is not ideal for less than confident skiers. St Anton is known for its lively apres ski.

Personally I would suggest Kitzbühel is ideal for a day (or weekend) trip from Munich. If you get back into skiing then a trip to the Arlberg would be worthwhile but probably too far to be worth it for now. The weather forecast is for things to turn a bit more wintry at the end of the month / beginning of next month so if you go and enjoy it it would be easy to have another trip or two before the end of the season. There are plenty of options of other good places to try, Flachau being one.
latest report
flangesax wrote:
Driving from Munich, straight down the A10 you have Flachauwinkl on one side of the slip road, Zauchensee on the other, they are the simplest to get to and both offer great skiing, and, the slip road goes straight into the car park. The junction before Flachauwinkl /Zauchensee is Flachau, and, this will be busier, it also has great skiing. hth Ange. Very Happy
Will for sure check it out when I have more time or a weekend for example... this is supposed to be a really short one day trip
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@TobLeron, The Arlberg is (currently) the biggest ski area in Austria, the main centres are St Anton & Lech plus a few smaller villages. It has some of the best / most challenging skiing in Austria and is one of the most well known skiing areas in the Alps. The downsides are that it is not the cheapest (especially Lech) and that St Anton is not ideal for less than confident skiers. St Anton is known for its lively apres ski.

Personally I would suggest Kitzbühel is ideal for a day (or weekend) trip from Munich. If you get back into skiing then a trip to the Arlberg would be worthwhile but probably too far to be worth it for now. The weather forecast is for things to turn a bit more wintry at the end of the month / beginning of next month so if you go and enjoy it it would be easy to have another trip or two before the end of the season. There are plenty of options of other good places to try, Flachau being one.

Ok Arlberg seems like a really nice place and where I should check it out for sure, however I think it is better for me to get the groove again before doing something crazier... Maybe in 2 weekends I can go there, as I should be more fit and again used to skiing. Thank you for the tips
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy