Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix One Day- Which Bit?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning. Off to GM for a month in March, and the pass comes with 3 'awaydays', one of which can be Cham. I seem to have read that Chamonix is several places really, not all interlinked. To get the best out of a day, I'm after advice on the best place to start off for a confident inter (me) and a way-too-good-to-call-a-beginner, (her). Any advice welcome. Obviously, we could use all 3 freebies there, but prob won't. Ta.

CG
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if saint Gervais (EMB) is in your freebie options I would recommend trying there
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For beginner/intermediate skiers who are only skiing on piste, I would suggest Le Tour 1st, with Brevent/Flegere 2nd. Personally, I think Le Tour has the best views in the valley and has a good mix of blue and red pistes. The restaurants at the bottom of the gondola also offer the best "on mountain (ish)" lunches in the area IMO. Brevent/Flegere also has fantastic views of the Mont Blanc massif but the skiing is slightly more challenging with some steep reds.

FWIW I don't think you could use all 3 freebies here, we have a similar thing with our annual pass and you can only use a freebie in each place once.

Saint Gervais/Evasion area is also a good intermediate skiing area and would be a good choice if available to you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charliegolf, you can only use one voucher per area - and by that I mean, one day in Chamonix valley.

I'd second @Meltus, if the weather is good, then La Tour probably best option. Foodwise I'd disagree: at the bottom of the Gondola are the Olympique, which seems to be run by two grumpy and doddery old ladies with attitude and I wouldn't recommend and Le Passon, which was OK but not special a few days ago. We would normally eat at the Ecuries de Charamillon, which is just above the gondola top station. YMMV.

The obvious other options for the other two days are PdS and EMB as mentioned.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will you have a car? If you get an early start and are just sticking to the pistes it’s not unreasonable to do Le Tour in the morning and GM in the afternoon.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, good point, @Steve77, getting GM to anywhere else without a car would be a pain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, we'll be driving, Cheers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 on La Tour
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Charliegolf, you can only use one voucher per area - and by that I mean, one day in Chamonix valley.

I'd second @Meltus, if the weather is good, then La Tour probably best option. Foodwise I'd disagree: at the bottom of the Gondola are the Olympique, which seems to be run by two grumpy and doddery old ladies with attitude and I wouldn't recommend and Le Passon, which was OK but not special a few days ago. We would normally eat at the Ecuries de Charamillon, which is just above the gondola top station. YMMV.

The obvious other options for the other two days are PdS and EMB as mentioned.

Not sure if the name has changed but the Arret by the station in Vallorcine was one of my favourite places to eat. Late lubricated lunch in the sun and then a snooze on the train back down to Chamonix...

I think that area is the place to ski for one day but Brevent/Flegere also good if you want to hang out on town also.

J
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kesone1, is that not now the "Comptoir"? has a good rep...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the comptoir is around the back and a bit more flash. This is part of the actual station if still open? Haven’t been back in a couple of years.

Staff are a bit french but really nice once on side Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kesone1, no idea, we don't find ourselves down there that often.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comptoir is the other side of the tracks and a bit overrated IMO. There is a small cafe/bar attached to the train station though I've never been in.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you pass allows it I wouldn't rule out Les Houches which is sort of included in the Chamonix area. I prefer it to Le Tour not because of the pistes but Le Tour has too many button lifts compared to Les Houches for my liking.
snow report
Les Houches is a lot lower. I don't think the home run has been open this season, at least not consistently.
snow report
The restaurant in the train station is still there. It’s called l’arrett bougnette. It’s very good. Cafe de comptoir is where you meet the non-skiers if they come up for a day trip on the train and want a nice looking restaurant. L,arrest bougnette is where you go when you have had a massive morning skiing and want a tartiflette. I actually think the Passon in le tour car park is pretty good as well.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Les Houches is a lot lower. I don't think the home run has been open this season, at least not consistently.

Les Houches has been opening some pistes In questionable state including the home run. Absolute horror but people still go for it Happy
ski holidays
Gustavobs wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Les Houches has been opening some pistes In questionable state including the home run. Absolute horror but people still go for it Happy

Hmmm that doesn't sound great, hopefully the predicted snow in the next 7-10 days comes as I am heading out in 2 weeks. To be honest I never ski the home run anyway, it is has always been crud in March for the past 3 years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy