Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Renting ski equipment in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Is there anywhere in the UK you can rent ski equipment (for use abroad)?

I've done a search but haven't come up with anything.

Perhaps I've used the wrong search terms, and actually there are so many outfits offering UK rental that there's even a directory of them?

I vaguely recall there were once some fitting shops in or near airports where you could rent on your way out, and return on the way home.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Airport Skis business model pretty much collapsed with the first introduction of baggage fees.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Highly unlikely to make economic sense to hire in the UK and transport abroad. easyJet charge £74 return for a ski bag.

A UK based hirer is unlikely to have as wide a range of stock as a resort shop.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why would you want to?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Why would you want to?

This is for a group doing a self-drive short break, arriving at the slopes in the morning where one of the group doesn't want to slow the rest down by detouring via a ski shop, but usually flies & rents, so doesn't really want to buy for this occasion.

I'd suggest buying ex-rental skis on eBay, but UK rental prior to the journey seemed like a possible alternative.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@crosbie, there are invariably ski hire shops at lift base stations. Given that your group will probably also have to buy lift passes at the base stations, it seems senseless to make a special journey to somewhere in the UK to rent equipment.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@crosbie, it takes 5 minutes.

Have breakfast.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said, just find a shop close to base lift, book online and it'll delay the party no more than someone going to the loo.
To save time someone else could buy his lift pass while he goes to the rental place.

Given the lack of a market for UK ski rental it's likely that he will get better and newer equipment than any place you'll find in the UK
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lift passes are being obtained in advance, but arrival is a Sunday morning, when everyone and their dog are getting fitted up.

Anyway, despite the unsurprisingly poor market for UK rental, I deduce that there is no-one currently offering such a service in the UK.

Tant pis. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queenie pretty please wrote:
@crosbie, there are invariably ski hire shops at lift base stations. Given that your group will probably also have to buy lift passes at the base stations, it seems senseless to make a special journey to somewhere in the UK to rent equipment.

The chappie is used to driving around the UK as part of his job and has plenty of time to pop into many places the day before departure. He assumed there'd be places like Snow & Rock that would do this sort of thing, e.g. ski tests.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The place I get my skis serviced offers week-long rental, I believe. The shop's in Edinburgh

http://www.snowsportservices.com/hire/4547075142

It appears there are also places in England offering this:

https://www.theski-shop.co.uk/pages/hire/
https://www.scooterandski.co.uk/ski-hire/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crosbie wrote:
Lift passes are being obtained in advance, but arrival is a Sunday morning, when everyone and their dog are getting fitted up.

Saturday is the big change over day. First thing Sunday should be fine. He could even pre-book what he wants/needs to save a bit of time. If it's a bit busy the rest of the group can do a warm up lap.

If they have their own boots it helps as finding a decent fit would be the most time consuming.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DidierCouch, VERY USEFUL! Thanks. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He could approach a UK retailer to to see whether he could try out somthing from their ex demo stock for the week. Would probably involve buying up front then bringing them back for a (partial?) refund.

When my son bought his ex demo skis he was told he could bring them back if he didn't get on with them as long as he didn't take the Mickey.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It all sounds a bit frantic to worry about possibly having to wait 15 minutes for ski hire in a base station shop? As others have said, just have the group do an up & down on the nearest lift whilst it happens then join up with them once sorted? Is it really that big a deal to wait for a few minutes? What if something goes wrong with the ski bindings whilst abroad? Local shop could sort their own equipment out instantly. Seems a really weird way to go about things, but each to their own and all that.
snow report
Drop them at the hire shop nearest to the base station. Catch lift up, ski back down, pick up mate.
ski holidays
...then chide him mercilessly for the next two months Smile
snow report
I love my fine selection of skis and care for them like first born. However I am jealous of mates who drop the hirings off at the rental shop on the last evening when I have to pack and carry mine home. If not into skiing, or only do a week a year cannot see need for rental and as for renting a pair in the UK.............. Turn around is quick in hire shops and the quality seems to have improved if chose wisely.
snow report
We were with our daughter last month. After about an hour on the 1st day she sighed and said "No. These skis just aren't working for me. Or the boots need adjustment or something. I'm going back down to the hire shop in the village and getting them changed. Do a couple of circuits and let's meet back up here at the summit." 45 minutes later, she was back with her new skis.

Hiring them at your destination shouldn't take long, is no big deal, and allows you to fix/replace them if you have a problem.
latest report
Quote:

Hiring them at your destination shouldn't take long, is no big deal, and allows you to fix/replace them if you have a problem.

This.

@crosbie,
Quote:

Sunday morning, when everyone and their dog are getting fitted up

Not these days, necessarily. Chamonix f'rinstance is very much away from Sat-Sat other than during vacances scolaires and xmas NY.

Where are you going? As someone may have less generic advice. But what I would do is identify the ski shop(s) of choice, give them a call, reserve skis of choice and give them your mate's boot sole length (marked on the boot). That way they just need to verify boot fit, make any fine adjustments, scan barcodes, credit card and they're done.

5 minutes.
snow report
@under a new name, even resorts where people start skiing on the Sunday, many of them will have had time to collect skis the evening before.

A few years back one of our group had to sort skis, we toddled into town and I went to the bakery and got breakfast while he got skis. Didn't take him much longer to get skis than it took me to get a baguette.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy