Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unprotected skis on roof rack

Poster: A snowHead
DON'T DO IT!

Or if you do don't complain that your service cost will go up! And if the edges look like this after travelling back from France imagine what the inside of the bindings look like!

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We put our skis on a back mounted rack but the result can be much the same. The bindings are always protected (by custom made covers closed with elastic/velcro). Luckily I do all of the servicing so the extra 'cost' involved in restoring the edges is just my time. Still - it's probably not good for the longevity of the edges so I have bought some Zardox (from you of course, spyderjon) in the hope that I can prevent the rust by applying just before travel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alternatively put them in a ski bag which then whistles all the way and is so filthy and ingrained you end up throwing it away. Roof box is the way forward.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layflat tubing works for me
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My board was lashed to the roof rack with no issues at all apart from the bug strikes! Puzzled

The issues might be caused by zero wax on the edges, you can buy an express wax block just run along the edges to seal from water?!

The amount of cars I heard whistling down was astounding it must be torture and so stressful.

As a related note;

What I found even more amazing was the number of cars with bars but nothing on them, it's along trip being relaxed is key and bars might not whistle but create wind noise. I was even more astounded to see so many cars with not only bars but also 2/3/4 bike racks and no bikes!! I get they must be a pain to get set up but crikey for best part of 1500 miles on the road remove them lazy toe rags!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We drive around quite happily locally with them on the rack (max 90 mins) but I don't think I'd be happy doing a UK-Alps trip!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We keep ours inside the car and put the children on the roof
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shocked Though I guess not that surprising when you consider the amount of filth on alpine roads – my car in the UK was stored on the street and got washed once or twice a year. Here, it is garaged and needs cleaning once a month minimum. Mileage is similar on both vehicles. Most cars seem to be grey. I've no idea if they're supposed to be Laughing

That said, it doesn't seem to be a problem for short trips. What was more concerning was when my friend put the skis in her roof rack and then left it open rolling eyes Luckily, no harm done, but she now has a roof box.

Anyone travelling – you can wrap skis in heavy duty plastic sheets and gaffer tape, just remember to pack enough to re-wrap them for the journey home.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, more dust and salt, less rain?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We once tried pallet wrap around the skis on the rack. It made the rust worse - it had set in by the first stop.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jamesmus wrote:
We once tried pallet wrap around the skis on the rack. It made the rust worse - it had set in by the first stop.

I've used pallet wrap before and it worked well. Skies individually wrapped and taped before putting them on the rack.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In our case it was p*ssing it down and water got in. Water and restricted oxygen is pretty much the perfect environment for rust, I think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jamesmus, I did wonder if the prevailing weather would be the issue.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not quite, Rust forms when oxygen reacts with iron, but simply putting iron and oxygen together isn't sufficient. Although about 21% of air consists of oxygen,1 rusting doesn't occur in dry air. It occurs in moist air and in water.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, you should know better! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
jd_evans wrote:

Laughing. I'm fully weatherproof

snow report
I repeat OPs message

Never do it. I’ve seen one pair of virtually new top model Fischers ruined by salt spray - corrosion in bindings and then bindings cracked and delamination at the tails - white oxide bursting out. Not ours but in workshop with owner v upset.

Then with the wind on the way back this l arf-term we saw one party retrieving snowboard (seemingly intact) from the side of the A26 approaching Calais, plus sorry remains in the carriageway of one other.

Top box, or inside car for us. On roof around the hills. Inside if road-tripping to villages....
latest report
@quipuncna, this thread is about unprotected skis, not sex (whether protected or unprotected)! So take your own advice, go to that website and f*ck off Evil or Very Mad
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
jd_evans wrote:

Laughing. I'm fully weatherproof

Apart from the drug dealer rims....
snow conditions
I actually just spent about £500 on a Thule roof rack, ski holder, and another attachment for cross country skis. It didn’t arrive in time for the trip, and I chucked the skis in the back (well, down the middle) then figured it’s going to be very rare that I actually have more than three people and skis in the car, so I cancelled the order. Happy now about saving money and my skis Smile

I have a feeling (based on no knowledge whatsoever) that there is less salt on the roads in the Nordics and ‘hopefully’ (no guarantee of that nowadays now with global warming) it’s sub-zero on the trip so should be better in the skis on a rack however.
latest report
Ski box all the way.

I cringe each time I see people with the roof racks and the skis just tied on.
snow conditions
And sometimes you just gotta double down...

snow conditions
Just rub a little wax along the edges before you go, simples.

I have a thule ski carrier roof rack which I have owned for over 20 years now. I used to put the skis inside the car, but the sharp edges scrape on the sides of the car as there is not much room there for skis (obviously a different car to the one used 20 years ago) It also makes it difficult to recline the seat and have a sleep.

I also have bike carriers, but never use these now. I looked at roof top boxes, but they look quite expensive now. I quite like those tents which sit on the roof of your car and pop up when you park. They just sit on a roof rack! (can be nearly £1000 for one of those tents though)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Car-4x4-Hard-Shell-Roof-Top-Tent-Camping-Expedition-Overland-Land-Rover/254397824058?hash=item3b3b4abc3a:g:XLQAAOSwnoldI5oi
snow report
@Themasterpiece, from my experience of living in Sweden in the 1980s there was definitely less salting of the roads. Indeed Jamtland were not salting at all at the end of my time in Sweden.

A work mate had an old Morris 1100 about 23 years old with hardly any rust at all which must have made it unique
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
And sometimes you just gotta double down...

Sure it wasn’t a people smuggler?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51445700
ski holidays
Nah this one was on his way south - Could be pasty runners from Cornwall smuggling to the rich and powerful on the Rivera, post B-word.
ski holidays
Did they forget to paint that Skoda? Puzzled
snow report
James77 wrote:
Did they forget to paint that Skoda? Puzzled

Your four months too late with that rolling eyes

There's nowt wrong with primer grey! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So.... assuming you have just bought a ski rack
snow report
ish303 wrote:
So.... assuming you have just bought a ski rack

Take it back and swap it for a roof box. You can also put more cool stickers on a roof box so everyone will know you're down wiv da kidz.
latest report
Alternatively find a friendly alpine bus driver. when running day/weekend trips many of them have special plastic bags to put skis in as to not trash his coach. Put your skis in them on the roof. Or just put them down the middle of the car.
snow conditions
I do a return 200km every day to get up the mountain - 4 snowboards in ski racks is loads more money on fuel than in a roof box - worth it for that reason alone imo.

We also have carnivorous parrots in the mountains here that eat bindings. Lost a few sets of straps to them over the years and it’s illegal to shoot them.
snow report
My brain says bubble wrap.
ski holidays
@hang11,

Quote:

We also have carnivorous parrots

It's spelt 'Coronavirus'.

And your parrots really need to self isolate.
latest report
Not exactly sure what happened, it cut the next part of the post off.

Anyway, I actually have a roof box, but with it on it won't fit in the hotel car park, or the one near the lifts, which is a total pain in the back bottom.

Rest of the post said I have zardoz, would that down the base and edges help.

Also a blast of WD40 or GT 85 on the bindings?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy