Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding DIY check

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been edge and waxing my own skis for a long time but never really done much with bindings.. quick visual, make sure screws to ski are secure, binding din set correctly and forward pressure screw correct..
is there anything else that should be done and any bits to be greased etc.
Marker griffons and squire are current bindings..
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested to hear if there's anything that should be done for tech bindings too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pretty sure you should grease the bindings, but never done it to be honest.

For Dynafit tech bindings, you can buy grease from Jon.

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/alpine-touring-bindings/dynafit-bindings/dynafit-accessories-1/dynafit-binding-grease-detail.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For alpine & tech bindings check for:

- damage
- excessive play
- snug screws
- din settings
- forward pressure &/or heel gap adjustment, as applicable
- toe height adjustment, if applicable

And there's no need to slacken of the dins during the off season etc - I know of people that have then forgotten to reset them and then went a right cropper on their first turn.

Alpine heel can be left in the open position. Tech/pin toes should be left in the closed position, ie as though there was a boot in the binding.

If you've got a tech binding with a pin heel based upon the Dynafit Comfort/Vertical/Rad 1 & 2 type designs then check for sloppy centering which could indicate a worn bushing; take the heel housing off & check - it takes lots of turning to actually wear a bushing out, as long as it's lubed correctly. Clean the two springs, the bushing & the post before re-lubing with the correct grease (PG75 - which is hard to find in samll quantities but I offer it in 5ml syringes). If the bushing is worn then replace it.

If you think you have a binding issue then they can be torque tested but there's only a few machines in the UK. I've got one and IIRC so have Anything Technical & Ski Barlett. The now defunct Edge & Wax had one but I can't remember who bought it from the liquidation sale, possibly Snowtrax or Rivington Alpine. And the torque testing machines can test both alpine & tech bindings.

Also check your boots for sole wear, loose sole pad screws, burr of the toe/heel lugs, loose cuff pivots and if the boots have a touring function then check the ski/walk mechanism & the toe/heel insets for wear.

And think about getting your skis serviced now to avoid that last minute panic next season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, thanks, very useful. You may recall me,I was in your shop a few weeks ago and purchased wax and zordox. We had a long chat about late season skiing in VT and Solomon qst’s.. had amazing week in les arc 1st week of March.. but I guess you have a lot of people walk in and buy wax..lol
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would you dismantle and lube up Beast heels?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:
Would you dismantle and lube up Beast heels?

Nope, no need with the Beast heel. But I'd remove the three screws on the circular rotary toe plate and give it a clean/lube.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy