Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best fields mixed group of novice and intermediate / advanced skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I'm looking at booking a 2 week ski trip in January 2021 for 4 couples. We'll be flying in from Australia, NZ and South Africa. Two couples have skied twice at Madonna di Campiglio - 3 people were good on all the red runs including Pejo, and 1 (me) happy on all the blue runs with no real desire to go onto the red runs. The other two couples - one has skied lots in the US so I'd say confident Italian red / black, one will be okay on Italian reds, and the other two are total beginners. We're currently leaning towards Val D'Isere / La Daille area, but are not fixed on that area. We're not that interested in apres ski activities (too old and grumpy!!!). Ideally within 3 hours drive of a major city - Geneva, Zurich, Lyon, Milan, Munich etc. The costs in Switzerland will probably put us off skiing there. ETA - costs in Val d'Isere are okay.

The questions are:

Which resort will best suit our varied abilities and will keep everyone amused on the slopes for 12 days? Madonna has been great for us, but we think it's time for a change. We are looking at Val d'Isere and linked fields, and have also had a bit of a look at Les 3 Vallees and La Plagne.

I've been reading that the blue runs in France are more like the red runs in Italy - is this the case, especially at Val d'Isere? Would this make them more difficult that the blues at Madonna? I can see that Val d'Isere / La Daille has some green runs, but I don't think it'll be enough to keep the 3 novices occupied for 12 days. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Based on the varied mix of skiers, where would be a better option with quite a few cruisey Italian blue type slopes (preferably ski in ski out) but with a good number of Italian red slopes, and big enough for the experienced ones to think they're on a hamster wheel just doing the same slopes every couple of days?

Apologies for all the questions, and I look forward to your suggestions.

Thank you.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-02-20 13:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two things you have mentioned would remove Val d Isère from your list. Green runs and cost.

A quick Google will reveal more on both fronts
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. I've edited my post - the costs in Val d'Isere are okay! I'm hoping to find some suggestions of alternate fields.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sella Ronda. Sauze D'Oulx?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the green area at Val d'Isere is lovely. Assuming the total beginners are having lessons then they will surely progress to the easy blue runs around Marmottes during the 12 days

i would be amazed if anywhere had enough green runs to keep anyone occupied for more than a few days

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 24-02-20 13:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NKF, Hi and welcome snowHead

There are a few things you could consider to try and keep everyone happy:
1. Somewhere like Val D'Isère or the Three Valleys has a lot of varied terrain and plenty to keep everyone occupied. To mix it up a bit, I'd suggest plenty of lessons for the beginners/intermediates so they're not stuck on green slopes and can explore the area without worrying too much about the terrain. For the more advanced, maybe an off-piste course for a couple of days or some time with a guide.
2. The Sella Ronda linked resorts offer way more to explore than anyone can do in 12 days. Stay somewhere like Corvara and you have access to lots of blue runs, and the better skiers can explore further afield. Even more is available on the same pass if they are prepared to take a bus.
3. Split your time between two areas that are not too far apart but offer different experiences e.g. Do a week in the Dolomites then take the train north into Austria and spend the second week in St Anton.

Good luck with your search.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’d have thought that in 12 days with some good lessons the green run skiers could enjoy the blues as well. As always snow / weather dependant but the greens at top of bellevarde are perfect. The green down to la daille less so. My kids have skied confidently down from top of grand motte as second week skiers.

I’m looking forward to cruising down greens there with Mrs Endo in 3 weeks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NKF, I love the term 'fields'! Very southern hemisphere! Very Happy

Here's another vote for the Three Valleys - massive area, loads of variety and just the job for a 12-day trip. Lessons for the beginners, of course.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
the green area at Val d'Isere is lovely. Assuming the total beginners are having lessons then they will surely progress to the easy blue runs around Marmottes during the 12 days

i would be amazed if anywhere had enough green runs to keep anyone occupied for more than a few days

Thank you! I'm pleased to hear that the blue runs around Marmottes are at the bluer end of blue!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
@NKF, Hi and welcome snowHead

There are a few things you could consider to try and keep everyone happy:
1. Somewhere like Val D'Isère or the Three Valleys has a lot of varied terrain and plenty to keep everyone occupied. To mix it up a bit, I'd suggest plenty of lessons for the beginners/intermediates so they're not stuck on green slopes and can explore the area without worrying too much about the terrain. For the more advanced, maybe an off-piste course for a couple of days or some time with a guide.
2. The Sella Ronda linked resorts offer way more to explore than anyone can do in 12 days. Stay somewhere like Corvara and you have access to lots of blue runs, and the better skiers can explore further afield. Even more is available on the same pass if they are prepared to take a bus.
3. Split your time between two areas that are not too far apart but offer different experiences e.g. Do a week in the Dolomites then take the train north into Austria and spend the second week in St Anton.

Good luck with your search.

Thank you. Great idea about splitting the time between 2 resorts. I'll look at that idea and also Sella Ronda. Yes, lessons will be a must for the novices - I'm rather timid on skis and end up hurtling down the mountain yelling my head off in terror! Bit of an exaggeration but you'll get the idea!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
endoman wrote:
I’d have thought that in 12 days with some good lessons the green run skiers could enjoy the blues as well. As always snow / weather dependant but the greens at top of bellevarde are perfect. The green down to la daille less so. My kids have skied confidently down from top of grand motte as second week skiers.

I’m looking forward to cruising down greens there with Mrs Endo in 3 weeks.

Thank you! The older I've got, the more I realise how little fear kids have, and how much fear I've acquired! Enjoy your time there!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LOTA wrote:
@NKF, I love the term 'fields'! Very southern hemisphere! Very Happy

Here's another vote for the Three Valleys - massive area, loads of variety and just the job for a 12-day trip. Lessons for the beginners, of course.

LOL!!! Yes, fields, sheds, paddocks! I'll look at the Three Valleys again! Thank you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marodo2712 wrote:
Sella Ronda. Sauze D'Oulx?

Thank you. Sella Ronda looks interesting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We just got back from a week at the Gran Risa Hotel in La Villa.
https://www.granrisa.it/en/hotel-la-villa-italy/1-0.html

A very good value hotel , lovely food , nice rooms , family owned . Decent enough pool and spa.

Good bar too , (with fair prices) - and they do a nice lunch as well.

It is literally opposite the Piz Il La gondola which takes you straight into the Alta Badia blue heaven .
And it does not take long to get to Arabba or Corvara for Sella Ronda in either direction.
You can ski back (red or very steep black ) virtually to the boot room.

Or you can go the other way on the lovely quiet local slopes and visit Santa Croce or Kronplatz for a day out (regular and free ski bus takes 20 mins).

The only downside is the town itself is a little dull... not quite as pretty as Corvara or Selva.

View of the gondola station from our balcony

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sheffskibod wrote:
We just got back from a week at the Gran Risa Hotel in La Villa.
https://www.granrisa.it/en/hotel-la-villa-italy/1-0.html

A very good value hotel , lovely food , nice rooms , family owned . Decent enough pool and spa.

Good bar too , (with fair prices) - and they do a nice lunch as well.

It is literally opposite the Piz Il La gondola which takes you straight into the Alta Badia blue heaven .
And it does not take long to get to Arabba or Corvara for Sella Ronda in either direction.
You can ski back (red or very steep black ) virtually to the boot room.

Or you can go the other way on the lovely quiet local slopes and visit Santa Croce or Kronplatz for a day out (regular and free ski bus takes 20 mins).

The only downside is the town itself is a little dull... not quite as pretty as Corvara or Selva.

View of the gondola station from our balcony

Wow. Thank you. It looks incredible. We don't mind dull towns - as long as there's plenty of wine and good food we'll be very happy!
snow conditions
VdI is great but with a mixed ability group I think I'd favour Tignes or 3V. Friendlier for the less experienced
ski holidays
+1 And IIRC the "green" down to La Daille can be challenging - mogulled and full of people who can't ski. If you don't want to ski that run, you'd need to bus back to La Daille. The centre of Val d'Isere would be much better - can download in a gondola rather than face La Face. Which is properly black at the end of the day. More broadly, Val d'Isere has plenty of non-threatening skiing. I don't terribly like it, myself. If money is no object Courchevel 1850 would be ideal - provided it's not in French school holidays (in fact, best not go anywhere in France in French school holidays). January (after Russian new year) should be fine.
latest report
@pam w, you can download to La Daille as well.
snow report
Quote:

If money is no object Courchevel 1850 would be ideal

Yes. And if budget is somewhat more of an issue 1650 or La Tania would be good options.
latest report
Corvara or nearby Colfosco would be good for your group if you fancy Italy. San Cassiano would be another option with Sella Ronda access.

If you prefer France then I’d go for 3 Valleys rather than Val D’Isere/La Daille. I just think it would be a bit more beginner friendly overall, though accept that Val D has made big improvements in that respect in recent years. Both are expensive.

I think the 2 centre option mentioned above would be good, eg Corvara followed by an Austrian visit.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
VdI is great but with a mixed ability group I think I'd favour Tignes or 3V. Friendlier for the less experienced

Thank you. Yes, as a novice I'm getting cold feet about VdI! I'll have a better look at Tignes or the Three Valleys.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
+1 And IIRC the "green" down to La Daille can be challenging - mogulled and full of people who can't ski. If you don't want to ski that run, you'd need to bus back to La Daille. The centre of Val d'Isere would be much better - can download in a gondola rather than face La Face. Which is properly black at the end of the day. More broadly, Val d'Isere has plenty of non-threatening skiing. I don't terribly like it, myself. If money is no object Courchevel 1850 would be ideal - provided it's not in French school holidays (in fact, best not go anywhere in France in French school holidays). January (after Russian new year) should be fine.

Thank you. Yes, good point about school holidays and all the new years! I'll have a look at Courchevel as well.
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

If money is no object Courchevel 1850 would be ideal

Yes. And if budget is somewhat more of an issue 1650 or La Tania would be good options.

Thank you!
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
Corvara or nearby Colfosco would be good for your group if you fancy Italy. San Cassiano would be another option with Sella Ronda access.

If you prefer France then I’d go for 3 Valleys rather than Val D’Isere/La Daille. I just think it would be a bit more beginner friendly overall, though accept that Val D has made big improvements in that respect in recent years. Both are expensive.

I think the 2 centre option mentioned above would be good, eg Corvara followed by an Austrian visit.

Thank you. The Sella Ronda option is really intriguing me so will spend some time today looking at the options there.
snow report
@NKF, in which case, snowHeads have a vast amount of knowledge of the area and I’m sure would be happy to share that with you.

No coincidence that 2 of the annual snowHeads trips each January/February are to that area.

Having skied in most parts of Europe, several places in USA and also Japan, I’d stick my neck out and say that the introduction to the annual Birthday Bash is not overstating how wonderful the Dolomiti area is.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151449
ski holidays
I have been to both Val D'Isere and the Sella Ronda this year and have skied them both before. One note of caution I would have is that you are a very mixed ability group and the Sella Ronda is primarily about exploring different bits for the more experienced skier with fewer co-location of tougher and easier alternatives than in many of the Tarentaise resorts. If you want to spend your days primarily separately and meet up in the evening that is fine but if you are wanting to lunch together and occasionally ski together the lay out of the big Tarentaise resorts are in my opinion more conducive to this, though you will miss out on the scenery and the more affordable lunching.
snow report
@T Bar, I think that's a good general point, though I'm not so convinced about...
Quote:

the Sella Ronda is primarily about exploring different bits for the more experienced skier with fewer co-location of tougher and easier alternatives than in many of the Tarentaise resorts.

To be specific, the Alta Badia sector of the Sella Ronda (Corvara, Colfosco, La Villa, San Cassiano) is very good for a mixed ability group, if all meeting up for lunch is an important factor. Its quite feasible for the more adventurous skiers to venture from there into the Arabba and Selva areas for more challenging stuff, yet still return to an Alta Badia base for lunch. For the relative beginners or less confident, there are lots of less threatening slopes and more likelihood of well groomed pistes, in my opinion.

I think the Val di Fassa sector also has similar benefits, though maybe less attractive overall to a mixed ability group, especially in January, when it can be in shade a lot. Nevertheless on two trips to the area this winter that sector probably had the best snow conditions of the lot.

Of course, to fully explore the Sella Ronda, everyone lunching together would not be practicable every day. My experience of mixed ability groups is that there's an acceptance that different sub groups will split up some days. Depends on OPs group of course.

Despite being a big Val D'Isere fan, I think in January the chances of a positive overall experience are less favourable for a mixed group, especially the relative beginners, than in the Dolomites.
Val D and Tignes can be an intimidating area when conditions get tough, even for more confident skiers who know the area reasonably well.

As for lunch options, if that's important. There are more good quality reasonably priced options just in the Alta Badia sector than the whole of Val D'Isere/Tignes I think.
snow conditions
If going in January I would want to be staying at lower altitude and below the tree line due to the weather. La Tania in the 3V, Les Coches/Peisy Vallandry in Paradiski.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB,
I certainly agree about the lunches. For the experience of the group in the OP I would tend to prefer Les Arcs / La Plagne or Courchevel to Val D'Isere but I still think that skiing for an hour or two and getting back to base is a fair bit easier in the Tarentaise resorts than in Sella Ronda ones and alternative grades of piste down tend to be more common as well.
I agree that the Alta Badia has some compelling gentle slopes and pretty good access to Arrabba thought the Marmolada beyond is a bit more of an expedition It's a bit of a slow connection and sometimes exposed to wind on chairs to get much of the better skiing in Selva though.
I'm not trying to put them of the SR by the way which I think is a great area but depending on group dynamics of how people want to spend their time together there are drawbacks as well.
snow report
Thank you for the reply! Being together for lunch isn't a priority - in fact to be further apart would be good! 2 weeks with my in laws, cooped up in small accommodation, and then having lunch together is more than I can take!!!
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
I have been to both Val D'Isere and the Sella Ronda this year and have skied them both before. One note of caution I would have is that you are a very mixed ability group and the Sella Ronda is primarily about exploring different bits for the more experienced skier with fewer co-location of tougher and easier alternatives than in many of the Tarentaise resorts. If you want to spend your days primarily separately and meet up in the evening that is fine but if you are wanting to lunch together and occasionally ski together the lay out of the big Tarentaise resorts are in my opinion more conducive to this, though you will miss out on the scenery and the more affordable lunching.

Thank you. Happy to not have lunch together! Need space from my in laws!!!
snow report
Thank you everyone for your responses and ideas! I'm going through everything slowly, and hope that I find something suitable. Although I am thinking that perhaps a trip to Bora Bora will be much easier to organise!!!
snow conditions
NKF wrote:
Thank you for the reply! Being together for lunch isn't a priority - in fact to be further apart would be good! 2 weeks with my in laws, cooped up in small accommodation, and then having lunch together is more than I can take!!!

If you're positively wanting to have day times apart and if you want larger accommodation the Sella Ronda area is definitely compelling.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
If going in January I would want to be staying at lower altitude and below the tree line due to the weather. La Tania in the 3V, Les Coches/Peisy Vallandry in Paradiski.

Thank you. Hadn't thought of the weather too much!
ski holidays
I have suggested Courchevel but am also a fan of the Dolomites. Courchevel 1850 possibly has some of the best beginner skiing around - and some very good ski schools, which is also vitally important. But there are also some really testing runs for the more experienced, even without crossing into either of the other two valleys. Food and drink is definitely better value in the Dolomites! In 1850 you have to be careful not to stray into one of those places where a hot chocolate will cost you 12 euros and lunch is two arms and a leg.

And it's always possible to combine the Dolomites with a day or so in Venice.
snow report
@pam w, +1 in every detail
snow report
@NKF,
If you would be hiring a car and looking to try a few different ski areas think of villages/towns 'down the valley', such as Moutiers, Aime and Bourg-St-Maurice (all within 3 hours of Geneva International airport in usual driving conditions, but try to avoid Saturdays and Sundays). All these would allow access to Val Morel, the 3 Valleys, Paradiski, La Rosiere/La Thuile, St Foy, Tignes/Val D'Isere (Espace Killy as was).
You would also have the advantage of choosing where to ski depending on the weather and snow conditions (by keeping an eye on the reports here? https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snow_reports.php?). The down side would be not having ski in/ski out accommodation (though it would likely be cheaper), and the cumulative cost of lift passes would be more than a 14 day lift pass for one resort/area.
latest report
If possible I would have the beginners get some dry slope/indoor lessons before they go - they will enjoy the holiday so much more if they are not "complete" beginners.
ski holidays
I’m from Australia and I can confirm the Dolomites in general and Corvara/Canazei in particular would be ideal.
You’re going to love it!
latest report
I think Val D is excellent with a vibrant town centre although not too young and crazy! The variety of runs is excellent with a lot of challenging runs and most home runs to Val or even LaDaille are fairly difficult but it is very easy and common to download on gondola or funicular. Once at the top of Bellevards or Solaise there are a lot of pleasant cruisy blues but don't be fooled into thinking the green down to La Daille is worth trying in anything but perfect conditions if you are a beginner! That is definitely an attempt by the resort to make it look more beginner-friendly on a piste map!

I also think that 3 Valleys would be well worth a look. Probably my favourite resort, it is absolutely massive and has pretty well everything in abundance! Staying somewhere like La Tania keeps costs (relatively) low and offers some beautiful tree-line skiing but you are close enough to easily ski to Courchavel and links to Meribel. Much easier to ski back to there and a variety of runs to get you there.

For me though, the best option for a mixed group like yours would be Les Arcs. It is fairly large, has enough to keep the best skiers entertained and is highly accesible. One of my favourite things about Les Arcs - particulaly the Peisey/Vallandry end - is the fact that you can all do basically the same route but choose your run - black, red, blue and meet back at the bottom of the next lift!

It is easy to get arounf the resort and then you are also linked with LaPlagne so, staying in Peisey (where the link runs from) makes it easier to explore both resorts and is also a more cost effective base. Plus I think it is the only part that is not a purpose built ski station.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy