Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring kit advice for newbie tourer

Poster: A snowHead
So I have signed up for an intro to touring week in March.I have done a fair bit off piste and had a mini taster with skins for a morning last year. Thinking of hiring the kit, but a bit nervous as to whether they will have some skis that I will get on with ,so toying with the idea of getting my skis -Volkl 90Eight fitted with shift bindings,but I don't know if that would be possible/sensible. I presume I would need to get touring boots as well.
If I were to really love it and want to do more touring, would it make more sense to invest in separate kit, or to have skis with shift bindings??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tons of info here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149515
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Knee Deep, As it goes i've got a pair of 90eights, Spyderjon remounted some dynafit beast(discontinued so well discounted)to them a couple of years ago. Ive used them for shorter tours and theyre perfect for the job.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Knee Deep, where are you going (and who with)?

For example, a couple of the companies in Chamonix use Concept Pro so you can be confident of new and good kit, with various models to try. E.g. they have Volkl VTAs mounted with Marker Alpinists which is a pretty competent rig.

I would be slightly (very?) surprised if any company didn't have good to excellent kit and choice. After all, if something fails (inc. the user), it's a (potentially huge) problem.

+ IME, it's expensive gear new so I wouldn't buy until you're convinced. After this trip for example.

2nd hand kit, however, especially if you aren't being fussy, can be remarkably good value.

(Says he with great confidence having only just gone through the same process this season and, therefore, an expert Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a 90eighter too - lovely forgiving all purpose skis. On my occasional touring forays I use older Rossignol Bandits which ski very differently and take most or all of the day's 10 minutes of downhill to stop catching the tail. So I would consider putting touring bindings on the 90eights.

I bought crossover touring/downhill boots this winter (Tecnica Cochise 130) which are fantastic. I think you'd have to do tougher tours than I do for the weight to become an issue.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just realised I hadn't actually addressed your main question. I still think wait until after the trip. Shifts are not cheap bits of kit. And you would also ideally want touring (or at least hybrid) boots.

It also depends on how much touring you intend to do. I now go out usually at least once a week. But I live near snow and if it's just for the fit, there's a couple of skinning tracks so I can go on my own and get some exercise.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone -v helpful
I will hire for the week-just a bit wary of new skis ,when I love my Volkls and find them easy in the soft stuff
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Knee Deep, just check what bindings are on the hire skis, as you may also need to hire suitable boots ie with pin bindings
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, good point.

Actually, if it's a week's course, @Knee Deep, will be needing touring boots anyway.

@Knee Deep, Who's the company? Where you going?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Knee Deep,
Not all touring bindings are the same (although none of them are cheap).
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3320747

PS I also have 90eights.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i never realised they were so popular the 90eights.
The guys who have them what would you replace them with when theyre dead?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, not exactly a representative sample is it?

We tried them, very nice and easy but a bit undemanding, after Mantras.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mother hucker wrote:
i never realised they were so popular the 90eights.
The guys who have them what would you replace them with when theyre dead?

Tried a few touring skis last Nov at a testival and liked the Salomon Mtn 95 explore the most. The Mantras would be too heavy for me (around 2.1kg/ski). The Mantra V-Werks look good at around 0.5 kg/ski less, probably expensive though.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 19-02-20 20:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Knee Deep wrote:
So I have signed up for an intro to touring week in March

ooh me too. first week of march in leysin.
i bought some touring boots but i figured renting skis is the way to go.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Knee Deep,

I'm not trying to be funny but touring is all about skiing the snow you are presented with. There's a good chance it won't be "the soft stuff".
I would also suggest that the ski down is perhaps more determined by your boots than your skis when you first start to tour.
snow conditions
@zzz, thanks -didn’t mean to sound flippant and I have done a fair bit of backcountry -so I have an idea . I suppose when you are very familiar with your own skis and they do what you want them to do I’m a bit nervous about hiring skis that I won’t get on with .
snow report
@zzz, thanks -didn’t mean to sound flippant and I have done a fair bit of backcountry -so I have an idea . I suppose when you are very familiar with your own skis and they do what you want them to do I’m a bit nervous about hiring skis that I won’t get on with .
ski holidays
@DB, wasn't suggesting Mantras as tour skis. But the 90eights aren't that light are they? Maybe they are, masked by the bindings.
snow report
@under a new name, no not a true reflection. Just never really heard from folks thats ski them.
They are within a reasonable touring weight acceptance around 1700g i believe for the 177cm.
ski holidays
The Salomon mtn explore have a really good rep in these parts. They seem to be a good all around ski and light.

As for the V werks Mantra. I can vouch for their touring ability but I wouldn't use them for a multi day tour.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@DB, wasn't suggesting Mantras as tour skis. But the 90eights aren't that light are they? Maybe they are, masked by the bindings.

If I remember correctly around 3.5kg a pair (my limit) so yes not the lightest. Couldn‘t work out why you were suggesting the Mantra‘s in a Ski touring thread having suggested the VTA‘s earlier. I was looking at the BMT‘s but then the 90 eights came up at the right price in a local shop.
snow report
Quote:

Couldn‘t work out why you were suggesting the Mantra‘s in a Ski touring thread

He he he, cos I wasn't. Just mentioning that we tried the 90eights when replacing the Mantras and while the 90-8s are nice, they weren't quite up to replacing the M.

I still have to ask, @Knee Deep, where are you going? Someone might have useful local knowledge!
latest report
@under a new name,
My bad I should have written „mentioning“ instead of „suggesting“.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy