Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nassfeld & Gerlitzen (AUS) are they a Red as they look.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am looking at visiting Nassfeld and Gerlitzen in Austria but was wondering how Austrian Red runs compares to others. Me and the wife are comfortable blue run skiers but not so much red runs (wish we were like our kids on anything). It does not seem that Austria has many Blue/Green runs so wondering if these resorts would be out of our depth. It's hard to gauge via the webcams and the piste map.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bluedusty, my son went on a school trip to Nassfeld and thought the skiing was comfortable and not too challenging there. He usually skied around the large French circuits, doing the full range of easy to very difficult pistes.

Sorry I can’t be more specific. He did comment on how good the food was on the mountains there snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gerlitzen would probably fit you quite well, Nassfeld not so much. Nassfeld is in general pretty demanding place with more or less one or two easy blue runs, everything else is more demanding.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bluedusty, there are no green runs as such in Austria. There are nursery slopes, then blue, red, black pistes. Blue pistes can vary from meandering paths to wider but slightly steeper. On the whole I often notice very little difference between blue and red pistes other than the latter tend not to be paths. Conditions are a far more accurate indication of difficulty. For example a wide, smooth, empty but steep black is generally much easier than a busy, chopped-up blue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 to the thing about pistes. The difference between blue and red is often difficult to see just different coloured lollipops at the side, snow conditions are more relevant to how hard or easy the piste is to ski. The snow conditions in Nassfeld can be very variable, when its good it can be fantastic but there can also be long periods (like this year so far) when there is very little snow. The climate is similar to the Dolomites rather than the Tirol or Salzburgerland, which tends to be dry and cold in winter. I have a work colleague who goes regularly for historical reasons and practically every time he comes back he complains about the poor conditions and wishes they could change to going somewhere else.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, conditions in Nassfeld are perfect this year. There's almost zero natural snow, but honestly man made snow is better for on-piste skiing. It holds better, lasts longer, and is in general harder more compact. So if I would need to pick, I would pick full man made piste anytime over natural snow on piste. Off piste/freeride is of course different thing, and there hasn't been much of it in Nassfeld this season (yet.... as I still hope for some snowfall, even though it doesn't look all that good).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@primoz, I am not sure I would agree with you about the snow issue, it is what puts me off visiting the Dolomites (the dry conditions are why a lot of snow making kit is made there) despite the fabulous scenery. No issues with filling in a few spots on a home run, creating base or whatever but much prefer the real stuff, maybe it is different in cold dry air typical of the SE alps but I find the artificial stuff tends to the hard and icy, not good to ski on. I guess it is also what you get used to.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be any snow on the horizon for areas south of the main ridge though maybe there is a weather change on the way for early March.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, I know what you mean, and most of people agree with you, but for me on piste ice is actually nicest thing you can have. Yeah I know I'm in minority when it comes to this Very Happy
Unfortunately no new snow on horizon, so for all my ski touring/freeride, I'm still forced to drive at least to around Tauern... luckily it's just 1.5h drive but would still be nice to ski some of stuff back home instead of driving like crazy every time I go. Well... at least my yearly Tauern tunnel card is already compensated several times and it's only middle of February Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for your help, what I think we will do is head to Gerlitzen first and if we get on well here then maybe venture to Nassfeld for a day as well.
Just hope I can convince the wife that Reds are no different to the blues
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy